Author Topic: iSUP repair  (Read 14606 times)

Bakes

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
iSUP repair
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:50:03 PM »
So I loaned my MCIT inflatable out and it came back with a little hole at the front of the foot pad.   I pulled a small part of the foot pad off, roughed it up and tried to patch it with the kit that it came with.  No luck.  It lasts for about 2 minutes then starts ballooning up then bubbling.  Tried 2 times and left it compressed with about 45 pounds on it overnight the second time.

Soooo,  what is the best way to patch an inflatable SUP?   I emailed boardworks but they have not responded yet.  Do I need a primer or something?  Special glue?   I'm just a little suprised that the included patch kit isn't working.

Thanks

Bakes

crkrider

• Malibu Status
  • just before the sharks arrived
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: iSUP repair
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
Get a patch kit for a high perfomance inflatable kayak. I'd recommend calling Attila Zilyagi at Custom Inflatables in Albright, West Virginia, and buy a can of his PVC glue, and some patch material.  Use clear PVC solvent from a hardware store,, the kind for assemblying PVC pipe.
Scrub one side of the patch material and the area around the hone with solvent. Then 2 coats to both board and patch of the cement. Thin coates only. Allow to dry tack free each time. Then wipe both patch and board  lightly with solvent, heat with hair dryier to about 140 degrees F. Stick the patch on the deflated board and smash,
roll) the patch into the board. At this points its a contact cement process. Sound complicted, but the chemistry is subtle and sophisticated. Get pointers from Attila if confused. He builds inflatable boats himself, and is the expert.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »
It lasts for about 2 minutes then starts ballooning up then bubbling.  Tried 2 times and left it compressed with about 45 pounds on it overnight the second time.

Soooo,  what is the best way to patch an inflatable SUP?   I emailed boardworks but they have not responded yet.  Do I need a primer or something?  Special glue?   I'm just a little suprised that the included patch kit isn't working.

Thanks

Bakes

If the patch itself is ballooning up either the patch material is not strong enough or the hole is too big. 

If the hole is too big you will need to get the board repaired.

Airline put a small gash in one of my boards (not a hole) and I was able to repair it myself.  Use a big patch, lots of glue, and let it dry at least overnight before putting air in it.  Every few months it bubbles air out through the glue.  I remove the patch, clean the area, and put a new patch on.  Works great up to 15 psi (max for the board).

carvin carter

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
Sounds like you tried to repair it while it was inflated. I take a shop vac to the valve and put a vacuum on the board before making repair. A cue ball or lacrosse ball work great for rolling the patch in. I like to round off any Sharp corners off the patch also.

andre_sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 06:53:32 AM »

Every few months it bubbles air out through the glue.  I remove the patch, clean the area, and put a new patch on.  Works great up to 15 psi (max for the board).

I had the same problem of bubbling, because the hole (small) is on the side of the board. Very difficult to get an even surface to fix the patch when the board is not inflated. How do you remove the glued patch? With MEK?

Thanks.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 07:56:51 AM »

Every few months it bubbles air out through the glue.  I remove the patch, clean the area, and put a new patch on.  Works great up to 15 psi (max for the board).

I had the same problem of bubbling, because the hole (small) is on the side of the board. Very difficult to get an even surface to fix the patch when the board is not inflated. How do you remove the glued patch? With MEK?

Thanks.

I just let it heat up in the sun and gently pull the patch off. 

Mine is on the side of the board too so I think that conrtibutes to the need to redo things every few months.

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 05:01:45 PM »
You could try a small patch ( when the sup is deflated ), wait for it to dry 24hrs  then apply a larger patch over the first patch .

I fixed a customer's board like this a while ago, it had holes big enough to put your first through ( baggage handlers damaged it i was told)
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »

I just let it heat up in the sun and gently pull the patch off. 

Mine is on the side of the board too so I think that conrtibutes to the need to redo things every few months.

If the hole is on the side, and it's big enough, you might be able to put a patch on the inside, then another on the outside. ( it's difficult to do that on the top or bottom due to the drop stitch strings inside)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:16:32 PM by airSUP »
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

SharkSUP

• Shark SUPs
  • Waikiki Status
  • High Quality Inflatable SUP Manufacturer
    • MSN Messenger - service@sharksups.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Shark+SUPs
    • View Profile
    • Shark SUPs
    • Email
Re: iSUP repair steps
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 11:49:36 PM »
Only the manufacturer of the board can perform repairs if
the hole is bigger than 3mm² or
If it leaks from the rail seam

Step for ISUP Repair
For a visible and small hole (smaller than 3mm²)
1.   Make sure the board is fully deflated and lies fat.
2.   temperature requirement: above 15 degree
3.     Prepare a round patch no less than 3 inches or 7 centimeters in diameter.
4.     Clean the patch and the area surrounding the leak with alcohol.
5.     To contain excess glue, use masking tape to tape off the area around the patch.
6.     Apply 3 thin, even coats of repair kit adhesive to both the surface of board and the patch. Wait 5 minutes between
each coat.
7.     After the 3rd coat, wait 10-15 minutes before applying the patch. Use a hand roller to apply the patch evenly. Pay
 special attention to the edges to ensure a quality seal.
8.     Wait 24 hours before re-inflating.

Hope this helps. 

Shark SUPs
Professional Inflatable SUP Manufacturer
www.sharksups.com

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 03:47:45 AM »
Everything is said above about proper way to repair an iSUP.
I've an old iSUP that leaks.
Anybody tried inflatable boat inner sealant ? Something like that : https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--inflatable-boat-sealant--444679
On a SUP it sound like a bad idea given the drop stitch inside the board, but I might try.

Paddleboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Paddle Board Reviews
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »
Anybody tried inflatable boat inner sealant ? Something like that : https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--inflatable-boat-sealant--444679
On a SUP it sound like a bad idea given the drop stitch inside the board, but I might try.

I don't have any experience with WM's Sealant product, but as you mentioned I think this would be a very bad idea as it would probably wreak havoc on the board's drop stitch.
Happy paddling,

-Jason
InflatableBoarder.com

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:01:16 PM »
Thanks Paddleboard for the answer. I can’t find the product here, having it shipped from the us will x2 the price... better to forget it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal