Author Topic: Hurricane Edouard admired from afar  (Read 4222 times)

supthecreek

Hurricane Edouard admired from afar
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
Hurricane Edouard was a long way out... no one even knew it was there... except surfers ;D

Cat 3 before heading towards Europe... steady course for days prior gave us a nice 14 sec, true ground swell.

The kind of waves that you could casually paddle back out after an OH macker... long waits between sets. Strong, powerful easy to catch.... great juice. What a swell!

Looked smallish as I snapped a few pre-session shots. Geared up and walked down to the beach.... HOLY MOLY.... a set was going off..... big smiles.... this was some good stuff!

A couple of hours of juice for breakfast....  the afternoon wind popped our bubble. Memorable  ;D ;D ;D

On a side note..... the "A" team shortboarders swarmed our SUP peak... but we held our ground. Too many waves, saw a minefield of bodies to negotiate, as we dropped in on outside bombs... but the occasional clean path was well worth it. Good vibes all around... lots of interaction and sharing. Nice to share waves with the young shredders. I was commited to an outside set... a shorty was paddling in just down the line, I don't think he saw me... I dropped straight down the face, jammed a nice backside turn and carved right under him, before he dropped down.... I looked back, saw him throw a nice turn, then get slammed by the lip as I made the wave. I smiled on the way back out "I bet that was a surprise" He laughed  ;D

Yesterday was smaller, but really fun for a 7am to 2 pm run. Headcam yesterday... I included a few stills.

Other random shots that don't show the bigger sets.... but we were too busy surfing, to get good pictures.... so before & afters, are all I got. Maybe some better shots will pop up, cuz a friend was shooting, late today.

Glassy = mornings
Windblown = afternoon

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Edouard admired from afar
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:10:32 AM »
Thanks for the story. Classic day!  The pics are great :)

What a spot you've got there :P

After a terribly out of character flat September, well see Edouard
this weekend, all 21 seconds and 2-3' of him.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »
Hey J... I was hoping you boys would be sharing the goods soon  ;D

Here are a few shots that Weed took early on Wednesday, as the swell just started to show....

S 1,2,3 are companion shots to the ones from my "headmount" cam above  ;D

I was told that I looked like a coal miner....

#5 is Brendan
#6 are the seals that we're not suppose to surf near...
#7 ok.... we won't  ;D
#8 Thursday afternoon, after the wind got on it

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:56:35 AM »
Ha ha... you think it's easy being the photographer ?

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
Looked Great down there, Creek!

Best 2 days of double session surfing in a long while, just as you said....same here. Morning sessions were perfection, evening a little hairy with the onshores on Wednesday but still big and fun, just a bit harder to get out back.

Surfed York yesterday am and pm, saw Don Caribe killing every wave with style on that Hobie (sorry Don Caribe, I'm really bad at the surf n'chat).

Last pm. @ York no wind, still waist/chest plus super clean, warm and beautiful Fall day perfect lighting and saturated colors thought I should have been painting, not surfing.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:34:15 AM »
Hey Ake G, what board were you riding?  you should have said hello or maybe you did? Thanks for the compliments, those waves made it all too easy

Amazing day of surf yesterday, 7 hrs for me on that Hobie Raw and loved every minute.  Really, really sore today I feel like I need a body cast.  Cut my thumb really badly on my fin and was bleeding for the last 2 hrs of the session but it was worth it.

I was soooo tempted to attach my GoPro but didn't want to have the distraction..wish someone was there with a camera.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:03:26 AM »
Nice Creek! Always appreciate the sesh reviews with pics!!

No go for me yesterday with that 4 letter word getting in the way!!! Glad you enjoyed some leftovers!

Let's pray that Fay delivers too 😀

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 10:04:42 AM »
ha ha Free2B... yesterday wasn't "leftovers".... dawn patrol was the show.... Soooo frikin' good...afternoon the swell began to drop and the wind switched onshore.... thank God.... like cribe said... time for a body cast  :D

So I went home and fixed my RAW.... see you soon Don....

Super glad you guys got the swell up there as well :)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
ha ha Free2B... yesterday wasn't "leftovers".... dawn patrol was the show.... Soooo frikin' good...afternoon the swell began to drop and the wind switched onshore.... thank God.... like cribe said... time for a body cast  :D

i better catch up on the reading of swell/winds or i will keep missing out on the good stuff!!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 10:49:58 AM »
I was considering coming down to join you yesterday but can hardly paddle because of my damn finger. Went for some small and glassy on the south shore.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
The Prowave. I'm sure I waved or muttered something unintelligible on my way out  ;) as I was shaking out the salt water from inside my head....and trying to stay upright and focused.

I started out @ the rivermouth that AM but it was a mess and ended up down @ York. AM and PM sessions both days,.....paying for it all today!

Keep that thumb clean & covered!

Sounds like I might see (some of) you guys up here next weekend,if not sooner.

quote author=Caribsurf link=topic=25157.msg255334#msg255334 date=1411140855]
Hey Ake G, what board were you riding?  you should have said hello or maybe you did? Thanks for the compliments, those waves made it all too easy

Amazing day of surf yesterday, 7 hrs for me on that Hobie Raw and loved every minute.  Really, really sore today I feel like I need a body cast.  Cut my thumb really badly on my fin and was bleeding for the last 2 hrs of the session but it was worth it.

I was soooo tempted to attach my GoPro but didn't want to have the distraction..wish someone was there with a camera.
[/quote]

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »
Hey Ake G yes I saw you and we exchanged waves from afar.  I actually wanted to ask you how you liked the Pro Wave, but there were so many waves to catch that I never got a chance to stop and talk...glad you had a great day too.  At one point we were pretty close but then I looked over and saw you take off on a beautiful big left and I don't think I saw you after that...it must have been one of those heart pounding, great rides all the way to shore.   That northern nook of Long Sands was the perfect spot yesterday.

I'll recognize you now next time I see you....are you going to the Grain party Sept 27th?
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »
Ha! Yes I do my best to try to keep a good distance from everyone when I'm @ YB plenty of room for all to have a clean wave.

I think the regulars there must consider me anti-social not always the case  ;) nice group there though.

Yes, I think a Grain party pop-in will be in order. Last year @ YB in the AM had a nice conversation w/Mike Lavecchia about wooden SUP's. He was cordial  ;D....I'll bet they'd be too heavy n' stiff to surf anyway....

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
Buddy of mine made a hollow wooden 12' SUP.  The weight is a big issue when trying to lug it around on dry land.  On the water, so much fun in knee high waves.  Feels like standing on a giant guitar... 

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 06:39:17 AM »
I agree Ake G the vibe at York Beach is mellow and cordial...It's almost like surfing in its infancy there with lots of beginners who haven't learned about giving the stink eye etc..in the summer it gets crowded with Franch Canadiens many who don't know surf etiquette
It's my home breaks and I love it as I live a few miles away in Kittery Point

Mike made a wooden SUP and said it weighed over 45 lbs..I am sure it was beautiful, but would hate to have to lug it around.

See you at the party if not in the water...might have some fun surf Monday
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal