Author Topic: Small sample, but Dramamine does not appear to help the clumsy.  (Read 4620 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Small sample, but Dramamine does not appear to help the clumsy.
« on: September 18, 2014, 01:38:40 PM »
I spend a lot of time in the water in my local shorebreak. Balance is an issue.  I seem to reduce the oscillations when I am a little tired/relaxed.. about a 1/2hr into a session. I tried some exercise beforehand...to no effect.  I didn't want to screw up a decent day, but I also tried a 1/2 a beer ..as a relaxant.  I don't drink as such, so 8oz is good, but ..no noticeable effect.

Remembering the old OTC, motion sickness remedy - Dramamine - I pop'd a tab about an hour before today's 2hr session.  Chit - I should not have.   If a single time, one tab trial means anything, it was a big fail.  Conditions were better than yesterday morning but I was not ..in fact worse.  There was a pretty strong rip (two drown yesterday) but the wind was down ..I didn't have any real excuses.   But I won't waste another session on Dramamine.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Small sample, but Dramamine does not appear to help the clumsy.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 04:47:58 PM »
Beer totally hoses me. Even one beer kills my balance.

I do some exercise routines on my knees on one of those big balance balls. I've tried Bosu balls too, but I find the full ball makes for more challenge and helps my balance more. If I do the exercises the night before, my balance is noticeably better the next day. Only lasts a day tho.

I also find doing some stretches and hip openers before I get in the water helps my balance.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »
I spend a lot of time in the water in my local shorebreak. Balance is an issue.  I seem to reduce the oscillations when I am a little tired/relaxed.. about a 1/2hr into a session. I tried some exercise beforehand...to no effect.  I didn't want to screw up a decent day, but I also tried a 1/2 a beer ..as a relaxant.  I don't drink as such, so 8oz is good, but ..no noticeable effect.

Remembering the old OTC, motion sickness remedy - Dramamine - I pop'd a tab about an hour before today's 2hr session.  Chit - I should not have.   If a single time, one tab trial means anything, it was a big fail.  Conditions were better than yesterday morning but I was not ..in fact worse.  There was a pretty strong rip (two drown yesterday) but the wind was down ..I didn't have any real excuses.   But I won't waste another session on Dramamine.

Jim

Do you have poor balance, or do you get seasick? Whichever it is, alcohol is not going to help. It *might* relax you, but it's going to erode your balance in the process.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 06:06:01 PM »
Do you have vertigo?  Or are you just unhappy with your balance? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
I've found I have to stop any drinking at least a day in advance anytime I want to maintain what little balance I have. I haven't found anything that you can take that helps balance. Depends on what's causing it for you though I'd imagine. One thing that does seem to help me occasionally if I'm struggling is to get off the water briefly for a break. Drink and eat something and sitting out 15 mins or so for some reason can make a big difference.

Best bet though is to bring a board thats more stable..... :P . I had to switch to a more stable board yesterday when it started getting choppy.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:00:22 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 07:22:18 PM »
When I am sore or have done other workouts the day before and my reserve is down, I find an ibuprofen helps either the night before or the morning of.

I don't drink, but can't imagine alcohol helping any physical activity that requires coordination, that just isn't what alcohol does.

In Santa Cruz, there must be a lot of dudes out there on marijuana, you can smell it all over the place, but I have never heard any commentary on whether it helps or hinders balance.

As far as the stimulants, somebody would have to agree to be a lab rat to find out.  I would imagine there are lots of athletes who have tried them to get an edge.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:03:13 AM »
Zoo,  I've done the vertigo bit, sickening, years ago.. not recently. From my perspective, it's simply that I have sub-par balance ..compared to someone half my age.  I'm having a VNG test after seeing my local ENT guy next Monday. (hopefully that does not screw things up worse ..winds are scheduled to be offshore and I picked his other office ..near my break)

I have fairly high expectations for whatever I tackle and a Polish mule mentality: difficult things are magnetic. So any little cheats ..like 1/2 a beer would be legal since I get to make my SUP league's rules. 

I like the PB's idea: of pre-test prep:  balance practice the evening/morning before the go-out.  Will test.  Thanks guys.

Jim

Some Guy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:54:10 AM »
I wonder if Methylphenidate i.e. Ritalin would help balance?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:17 AM »
Guy, In the 60's I was a solo, self-study test subject for a variety of substances..  I could have probably used Ritalin, or something as a youngster, but have survived without any needing anything aside from the odd aspirin.  I'll stand off to the side and be happy to hear someone else's results with Ritalin.

Turns out, part of my balance issue is my vestibular nerve in the left ear is not in synch with the right.  It may coincide with damage that has given me permanent tinitus in the same ear.  Field artillery in the ARMY ..face/head plants kitesurfing over a decade  ..cold water surfing - who knows?! So like a number of you, I will simply have to work harder. I'm part Polish so putting a shoulder-to-it is even fun to me.  Something physically hard is mental therapy for me. 
It's perhaps the reason I am so attracted to the slackline. 

Jim

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:46:23 AM »
balnce is my strong suit--ive got weak suit, for sure, also

i love my goofboard--def helps balance and strength, and it's fun and can be as challengin as one--i am now at the point where i can switch stance, and will soon try on the water

as a skater, i learned to skate goofy doing fakies in a huge pipe under the dam at cherry creek reservoir in denver--when not riding the amazing keyhole pool in the long plowed under keyhole at skatepark boulder--given skating, climbing, skiing, it's amazing i studied at all out there!

skate very gingerly these days--like that my body still works ok
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
Ritalin might help, concerta does, but I think it's because I keep thinking about what I'm doing instead of everything else that pops up for a microsecond. What was I saying..  ...oh look, a butterfly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 02:08:48 AM »
well, i know for sure that a heavier board will help a lot.  :)

also, i'm a huge fan of a prescription drug called nuvigil (aka provigil), the vigil standing for vigilant.  officially, it's only for narcoleptics and swing-shift workers.  but, fighter pilots are known to take it, too.  i am not one of those three but i am tired a lot so i got a scrip and when i take it before surfing, i've noticed a/ my balance is much  better and b/ my balance stays much better for much longer.  great stuff.  (adderall ain't bad neither but either of the vigils is better.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:10:32 AM by linter »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
Linter, I am glad you can handle nuvigil ...it looks spooky to me. My wife is an retired RN and the PDR is one of the scariest books ever written. I have not had a script filled (or suggested) in 30yrs. 

Mother nature seems to have given my share of the balance pie to that bugger Eastbound.  "Gimme some back!"  Have fun you guys.  Cheers.

Jim

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 07:01:23 AM »
trust me, i've got plenty of things you dont want

just read the dj rescue story---wow---reminded me of floating in scuba gear off glovers reef atoll belize (beyond nowhere) for two hours---plenty of fears cam to mind, including that i was a bobber lure for a tigre

boat had engine issues--took resort boat an hour to get near us, hour to find us, it was dusk when they did

we lived--was a sure thing for a while..........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal