Author Topic: EASIEST 5/4 wettie??  (Read 8543 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: EASIEST 5/4 wettie??
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
The Supreme is a chest zip but totally different. Easy on for the arms over your shoulders and then a flap with the neck hole goes over your head and zips in front. Even easier getting off, so nice when your arms are dead from paddling to be able to get out without a struggle. With my hooded chest zip there have been many times I just said to hell with it and put a bunch of towels on my seat to drive home with my wetsuit on so I could take it off in the hot tub.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
Free
Drop by Bob's Ski and Sport in Fairhaven.
I bought a Henderson Aqualock 5/4 dive suit from them 2 years ago for cheap.
FULL back zip.... no zipperless torture chamber.... just climb in, zip it up

As warm and flexible as any suit i have ever tried. Been in 5 below zero, and was toasty.

Only modification I made.... I cut out the leg and sleeve zippers off and glued the openings... 1/2 hour work... faster than getting in/out of a zipperless neck hole  ;D

Bob's has great prices and lots of options... cheap.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »
I've struggled more than that taking off sweatpants.

Sweatpants?  I think that's a DIFFERENT Seinfeld episode.   ;D

http://youtu.be/dz7cw6jbwFY
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 02:46:56 AM »
I've been using the new O'Neil Techno-butter wet suit. I went with a 3/2 Phsyco I (one),  with the thinking if I need a heavier suit I'll get one as well.  So far for SUS at least, this suit has never let me down either in comfort or performance.  It is amazing material, doesn't absorb much water, stays lighter, very wind resistant.   It breaks the ancient "SCUBA diver , frog man" paradigm of soak up the water and the water will keep you warm. This suit is born from the wind surf school where wind chill, heat wicking is your big enemy. Going with this ultra light, ultra effective material ups your performance considerably, and fun as well.  you do need to try before you by for size.  It turned out the XXL worked best for me.  If you are in disbelief for the 3/2 thickness, going with the 4/3 will be very warm.  I use the hoodless model and when it is extra cold I add a hoodie/shirt to the mix.  Thin to win baby!

How does Technobutter manage to be windproof without a smooth skin? I always thought the wet outer fabric of a double-lined suit evaporating in the wind was the source of the chill.

I posted a new thread about windproof wetsuits here as I have a few questions about options
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25160.0.html

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 04:06:44 AM »
My 2 cents.  Any suit will be easier to get on and off after just a couple times, so don't be tempted to up-size.  And, if you are over 195 and under 5 10,  consider a XLS, otherwise your suit will be bunching up at the wrists an ankles and not sealing well.  Lastly, the plastic bag trick is great for arms and legs but do not be tempted to use one on your head...just sayin' ;D

OilheadCJ_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 05:38:25 AM »
I have last year's patagonia R4, and it is not too bad, especially once it was worn a few times.  I'm not sure if I'd like it as much for prone surfing, as the hood/zipper fully detach, versus many hooded suits being attached at one shoulder, but for SUP, I was comfortable all last winter (13/14) with lobster gloves, 7mm boots, and this suit.  I trend toward cold, so it is saying something that I was comfortable. 

I have heard Hyperflex are notoriously tough in and out, but I have never tried one on.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 07:00:55 AM »
My hot curl uhc is not to bad. It is front zip and I still struggle but its warm. To warm is my biggest complaint. It is used mostly for windsurfing during our winter storms.
I much prefer a back zip wetsuit and that is what I use most the time. It is hard to find them in the thicker material.
I just got a new excel 3 2 that is warmer than my 4 3. It also is very light. Still a beech to get on.

Good luck and make sure you try putting it on before you walk out the door with it. Also it may be true that wetsuits get easier to put on and take off with use, zippers tend to do the opposite as they get stuck when pulling up or down on the back zip versions.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 07:42:19 AM »
I'm only on my 3rd Xcel 5/4 in 10 or 12 years, front zipper. While a bit of a struggle for the first couple surf.....once they break-in and conform to your body shape I have never been in a more comfortable, warm and durable wetsuit ever.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »
I wear size Large/Short: 5'8", 180 lbs, wide shoulders.  I love my O'Neil Mutant 4/3.  Great fit, warm, doesn't flush, easy to get on and off, and nice and gooey.  I'd check out the 5/4 version.  Having the choice between a regular neck and an integrated hood is the icing on the cake.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I'm gonna bite the bullett and go on a wettie try before I buy (again) spree.

Btw Stoney, I found this: http://http://www.ripcurl.com/us/shop/categories/wetsuits/guys/jackets-vests-shorts/flash-bomb-hooded-vest/
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
Is the SUPreme really easier than other brands to take off? What would be the reason for that? I hate taking them off so much I'm thinking of getting a drysuit.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »
+1 on xcel large short even for smaller guys. Also have an O'Neil psychofreak 4.5 3.5 in LS. Shoulder room ez on ez off!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 05:52:56 PM »
Yugi - My O'Neil technobutter torso has no cloth. Just warm flexible rubber!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
 I found a O'niel Pyrotech 4-3 with tecno buter  fully taped on Amazon almost half price,by far the most comfy suit I ever owned. The guys I know that use hyperflex say they run small. As far as 5/4 with hood look at the Exel good value.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »
The SUPreme design is different. Easy to pull the top up over your shoulders....goes on easy as a coat. The material is very stretchy and crosses high over your chest with no zipper. There is a flap that sewn on across your back at the shoulder blades with a neck hole that you pull up and over your head. The flap zips straight across your chest. On each side there is a draw cord with a barrel clasp to cinch it down a bit. Easiest suit I've had to get on and off. Probably easiest just to show you.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:14:51 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal