Author Topic: Great day off  (Read 3303 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Great day off
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
Some beautiful waves today. Paddled out to a fun offshore ledge with freetobeme. Light offshores, glassy head high+ long period surf, a big wrapping bowl...2 other guys out. Nice long rides with plenty of juice in the wave to play with. We got it for about 2 hours until the wind shifted and it started to blow pretty good onshore. Waves built bigger but it became tough to get/stay in position as the tide dropped and it got choppy and shifty. My head was bugging me so I was already having a slight struggle on the 9-8 even when it was glassy...the chop killed it for me. Time to go in and switch boards, waves were mushier back at the beach but the bigger sets would clean it up and with all the bounce in the waves it was a blast. Only downer of the day is a possibly dislocated finger, foolishly grabbed my leash (only board I don't have a handle on) . Ice and Vitamin A....tomorrow looks good too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Great day off
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
Glad you caught it good Stoney, marginal waves in Maine.  Long period swell alright, but many times not worth the wait.  The slight onshore winds didn't help it any either. A few chest high sets but exception rather than the rule...

Hoping tomorrow makes up for today's disspointment...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
Some beautiful waves today. Paddled out to a fun offshore ledge with freetobeme. Light offshores, glassy head high+ long period surf, a big wrapping bowl...2 other guys out. Nice long rides with plenty of juice in the wave to play with. We got it for about 2 hours until the wind shifted and it started to blow pretty good onshore. Waves built bigger but it became tough to get/stay in position as the tide dropped and it got choppy and shifty. My head was bugging me so I was already having a slight struggle on the 9-8 even when it was glassy...the chop killed it for me. Time to go in and switch boards, waves were mushier back at the beach but the bigger sets would clean it up and with all the bounce in the waves it was a blast. Only downer of the day is a possibly dislocated finger, foolishly grabbed my leash (only board I don't have a handle on) . Ice and Vitamin A....tomorrow looks good too.

Stoked we went for it!! What a spot!! Fortune favors the bold :D
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »
Great day off is right.

Morning session in Point Judith area was glassy.   At a quick glance it looked really small,   but every 5 minutes or so a good set would come through.   I  got in almost 2 hours when my leash broke.  Grabbed the board before it ended up on the rocks.   Really odd that it broke a foot in from the board side,  not at an end joint.   Maybe it somehow got cut by a fin.
   Packed it in, ride up to Narraganset surf shop,  lunch break, and back down south and met some friends for the breezy afternoon session.   I had my windmeter up and got a steady 9-10mph.   Any more wind and I would have rigged a sail.   It was still surfable,  but less people and the waves got bigger, so it was good by me.     Waist high plus every few minutes,   one overhead set came thru but broke 100ft out past the starting zone we were waiting in.

Shot taken late afternoon after I called it.

JP

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 05:42:51 AM »
That sucks carib...I was thinking you might be getting it better up north.

It certainly was....I know Pdlsrfr is going to be itching to go next time.

It was similar on the other side of the bay..mostly waist high at the beach with every 10 mins or so a bigger set. I was a little surprised it was that much bigger at the ledge. I got lucky I didn't switch boards before we paddled out. After we came back in when it got choppy and I had switched boards I caught maybe 10 more rides and my leash cord (not the leash) broke. Would have been far more of a pain if it happened out there.

We'll see how today goes. I'm staying on the south shore today. I was already considering it so I can run some errands for Sue after but I'm sure now...my middle finger is blown up and purple and hurts like hell. Making paddling tough so I'll stick with some smaller stuff today.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »
Don't want to lose your board when your far out.   I swam toward shore for over 20 minutes one day when a big wave blew up on me about 1/2 mile out in cape cod bay.  Windsurfing in 40kt winds,  I watched the wind pick up and throw my rig multiple times.   I caught up to it about the time it washed up on shore. 
     I was surprised to see that the leash didn't have some kind of core inside,  just solid urethane.   Not having a core would have the advantage of some shock absorbing capabilities.   Might try Making a leash by threading some rope into flexible tubing. 

JP

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »
Just got back from 1st, clean & glassy w light offshore but waist high at best and the occasional chest set but a good 10+ min in between waiting for them. 

I was stoked to hear Stoney & Free made it out to Tuck's and had a blast out there, it's was definitely going off and they hit it at the perfect time. Next time I'm joining that party and we need GoPro footage !! 
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »
Ok today MORE than made up for yesterday's slop.  Great surf at Long Sands in York Beach, ME, clean head high and bigger long period surf.  Firing lefts and rights many too fast to outrace but fun trying.  Small crowd, spaced out, waves up and down the beach as far as the eye could see.  Sunny and 60 degree water so I trunked it for 7 hrs straight..didn't even come in to feed the meter.  Thanks meter maid for not ticketing me. 

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »

I knelt down and said my prayers last night reflecting deep down in my soul.   I rose with a smile that I did my best to effing kill it yesterday!

While not as epic as yesterday, the workingman's shift to dusk tonight was not too shabby either.

RC

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »
     I was surprised to see that the leash didn't have some kind of core inside,  just solid urethane.   Not having a core would have the advantage of some shock absorbing capabilities.   Might try Making a leash by threading some rope into flexible tubing. 

JP
Don't do it. Urethane leashes are highly developed. If it broke in some place other than the ends it was certainly nicked--unless you were in a 20 foot wave. Check your leashes every time you use them. I prefer the very heavy outer reef stuff, and I've started making my own ends. I'm switching to a waist leash this year in Maui. But that's for really big stuff. Normally a good leash designed for SUP does the trick.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
Rope inside flexible tubing is ok.... if you don't mind 1 leg being a bit longer than the other.... and the occasional knee replacement. ;)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Leashes
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 04:38:19 AM »
One leg is already shorter than the other   .  .  .    Frustrating that the replacement leash,  a 10ft surfboard leash,  looks a bit less durable than the one I started with.   The connection to the board side at the universal is a small cord that seems like it will get abraded quickly,  as the hole it goes thru isn't perfectly smooth. 

I thank you both for the warning. 

JP

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 10:06:37 AM »
sand that hole down... make it smooth, or it will cut through the cord.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »
sand that hole down... make it smooth, or it will cut through the cord.

It might be an attribute of being an engineer,  but it seems I have to modify anything I buy in order to make it right for me.

Monday is now looking good !

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal