Author Topic: Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.  (Read 36160 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »
I asked a Hood River cop about this at Pine Street Bakery yesterday. He said the video would be supporting evidence. I've forgotten the language he used, but essentially the incident is your word against his (you can identify him) but with the video as support it's a lot stronger case.

It would be nice to have better video, but that's exhibit one. If you intentionally bump a pedestrian with your car it's assault with a deadly weapon (I didn't know that, I thought it was just a gentle way of saying "walk a little faster, eh"). He said people have gone to jail for that. He told me they took a guy into custody this summer for intentionally opening his car door in front of a bicyclist--a cop saw him do it, and then yell at the guy on the bike about weaving through traffic while he was laying on the ground). Slamming a surfboard into anyone at high speed is certainly a step up from that. He could have killed or maimed you.

I still think the proper response is in the water, under water. But it's not just a civil issue.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:08:48 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
I think you'd have a tough time proving anything in court. The video is grainy at best.  You'd have to prove a) that is you in the video. b) that was the surfer in question.  c) that his intentions were malicious.  It's not "assault", it's two guy participating in a sport with known risks (one of the risks is possible collision with other participants).  While I know his actions were deliberate, I doubt you could prove it.  Even if he admitted it was him in the video, all he has to say is that it was an accident.  It sucks, but dealing with aggro assholes is the reality of Doho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not a horrible outcome if Talldude went to court and to get off, the guy had to argue that he hit Talldude because he was unable to control his prone board, either because he didn't have the skill to go around Talldude, or because prone boards are inherently uncontrollable.  Capturing him telling the judge that would be a good video, also.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »
I'm definitely big enough to hold my own, but I rarely go there. I can repair the damaged board myself. It's a little torn up glass.
Can you tell I've been cooling my jets? A couple of distance paddles helps.
I've grown up in this culture, and it's not my first run in with someone in the line-up. I'm thinking I'll go longboard at DoHo next week and find out his name. Then I'm going to find out if he is part of the Doheny Surf Club. If he's not part of the Surf Club, I will be surprised. If he is, maybe the word will get around that he is making them look bad. Capo Beach is a small community.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 06:21:13 PM »
Surfers have been shooting their boards at others, slashing tires, in general acting like immature spoiled little babies forever. Arrests won't stop it, it will just bring the authorities into the mix... regulation will be their answer.

I like the infiltrate approach. Join the Surf Club.... find out the marching orders, then maybe a complaint would swing the pendulum.... but the tried and true "line-up solution" has sufficed for more than half a century. You deal with it how YOU see fit... everyone has a different reaction.... only you know yours.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
I don't know.....sure looks like the long boarder took the high line intentionally(jerk) but it sure does not look the the SUP started digging in in earnest to get out of the way, like jamming with all his might to clear the lane. Avoid the issue and get out of the way, I try..... for whatever that is worth.
New England Is My Playground

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »
Trust me Stoneaxe's presense would be enough!

JimK

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »
Surfers have been shooting their boards at others, slashing tires, in general acting like immature spoiled little babies forever. Arrests won't stop it, it will just bring the authorities into the mix... regulation will be their answer.

I don't think violence solves the problem. It only subjects you to the same legal problems. Ask the attorney in Santa Cruz if he is still tagging cars. A restraining order could be a very nice outcome where he has to leave because you paddled out.
It looks like tall dude had is paddle in the way of getting hurt. Had the paddle been on the other side the ahole may have hit him head on.
Also for the gratification response of feeding ahole the paddle that time is long gone. As of now ahole has gotten away with it. Who will be next.
Regulation already exists. Tall dude was limited to taking off on the shoulder because sup was not allowed on the peak. This is the root of the whole problem. Ahole was enforcing the rule playing tap out. He is being enabled by the discriminatory rules.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »

Ahole was enforcing the rule playing tap out. He is being enabled by the discriminatory rules.
These guys literally surf right on the line, because they feel they are the self appointed enforcers of these rules. Arm with their boards that they are willing to shoot at man or woman SUP'r. I've seen it. It's there everyday. The are backed by the lifeguards too.

If you saw the whole video (which I didn't post), I was zig-zagging though a 4' to 5' set that just cleared. I had given way to a number of people. There was a lot of moving water swirling around the hammer that prevents you from getting any speed up. Maybe I could have paddled faster, but this guy had plenty of room.

The bottom line is, I though I might have over reacted getting in his face right when it happened. I mean, I hadn't seen the video, so maybe he was avoiding someone else? I went over to him to apologize, and he said " Just protecting OUR LINE." Meaning it just totally intentional. He could have just ridden the wave all the way, but he choose to intentionally damage my board. As to confirmed his aggression, earlier that day, he paddled behind JayInSoCal and pretended to accidentally catch Jason's leach and tried to pull him off his board.

I'm kind-of over it, but it's not over....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:11:00 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »
I think you'd have a tough time proving anything in court. The video is grainy at best.  You'd have to prove a) that is you in the video. b) that was the surfer in question.  c) that his intentions were malicious.  It's not "assault", it's two guy participating in a sport with known risks (one of the risks is possible collision with other participants).  While I know his actions were deliberate, I doubt you could prove it.  Even if he admitted it was him in the video, all he has to say is that it was an accident.  It sucks, but dealing with aggro assholes is the reality of Doho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not a horrible outcome if Talldude went to court and to get off, the guy had to argue that he hit Talldude because he was unable to control his prone board, either because he didn't have the skill to go around Talldude, or because prone boards are inherently uncontrollable.  Capturing him telling the judge that would be a good video, also.
Yep, would you really care if you won and he had to pay? All the better for sure but just himself and you before the judge. I have not sat in a lineup but watching that it is obvious to anyone what happened there. It would be kind of a pain and I not sure I would either but it actually is extremely simple to file in small claims.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 09:55:08 AM »

I like the infiltrate approach. Join the Surf Club.... find out the marching orders, then maybe a complaint would swing the pendulum.... but the tried and true "line-up solution" has sufficed for more than half a century. You deal with it how YOU see fit... everyone has a different reaction.... only you know yours.

Have followed this thread and this answer would be mine. 

There's another vid of a prone guy flying up over white water and hitting another prone square in the back with his fins.  Fine young cannibals. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
My response to his "protecting our line" comment would be do it again and my response will be self defense....See how he likes me turning the nose in his direction and popping it 4' off the water...charge that mofo! That might be a bit much though...maybe better to let him try and run over your nose again but just lift the nose a foot before he gets there...take him out at the ankles.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:48:58 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
So if SUPs aren't allowed south of the hammer are proners confined to north of the hammer?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
My response to his "protecting our line" comment would be do it again and my response will be self defense....See how he likes me turning the nose in his direction and popping it 4' off the water...charge that mofo! That might be a bit much though...maybe better to let him try and run over your nose again but just lift the nose a foot before he gets there...take him out at the ankles.
It's very sad that it's come to this. "protecting OUR line", like children in the back seat of the car on a cross country road trip.... "Mommmmmmm! Matthew crossed onto MY side of the back seat". Going in the water with the goal of protecting a boundary instead of going out to have fun and emit good vibes is just wrong.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
So if SUPs aren't allowed south of the hammer are proners confined to north of the hammer?

This is the question at Dogpatch. Proners allowed in the SUP zone but not the other way around. I remember one day this summer when there were at least 30 people in a surf class totally overwhelming things south of the OK sign and not one eyebrow was raised by the LGs or rangers.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
It truly does suck that it's come to that but if someone attacks me I'm hitting back.
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal