Author Topic: Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.  (Read 36158 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »
Thanks to Surfline cameras and the rewind feature, I was able to see Mr. Torn Blue Rash Guard "protecting their line". You can see it was no accident. There is a big gouge in the side of my board from the impact. He took off with one thing in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFm5IPb-2I4&feature=youtu.be
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
What a wanker. A little water polo hold down might change his approach.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:14 AM »
Kick his ass seabass!

That was bullshit.  Two can play at the game. Go find a 12' tandom board. Sit on his ass and fuck with him. Don't let him have one wave.   Do it with a smile, it digs way deeper into these shallow minds.

I have gotten into it with that guy and he's a pussy, I promise. It's going to get worse unless we stick up for ourselves.  I started suping in HB in 05', I think?  I have noticed the attitudes are switching for the worst amongst the proners.  I personally don't put up with the bigotry, the misguided hate these small minded people have. 

Pm me if you want some back up, I'll be happy to bring out my log and sit on his shoulder all day, with a smile of course ;D

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
I've got 10 years on the national team, I'll hold him under with just my big toe, it's amazing to see what a little toe hold combined with a simple splash of water will do to a mans fighting spirit.

I had another run in today, I'm kinda fired up.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:43 AM »
Now, now, guys, take his waves, but don't go all "Point Break" medieval on him, you'll never un-dork him.

It's kind of like hardcore nerds, you will never un-nerd them. I know, I am nerdish.

You are right, though, that was intentional from pop up to impact.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:35:16 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »
Explain it to me please…

Yes, the longboarder appears to make a beeline for the SUP'er, but shouldn't the paddle out be behind the guys who are taking off on the wave?
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »
I did the water polo dunk one time.  It worked.
On the kinder side, ask him about his water polo experience.  Whatever the answer, you can guide the conversation from there.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:28:07 PM »
Explain it to me please…

Yes, the longboarder appears to make a beeline for the SUP'er, but shouldn't the paddle out be behind the guys who are taking off on the wave?

It's Doheny, paddlers are not allowed on that side.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:51 PM »
Explain it to me please…

It's like walking down a busy street with pedestrians passing each other in opposing directions. From your experience walking in this situation you can read the on coming people and move left or right. If someone is riding a bike towards you, you and everyone else will give the bike space. From your experience you know how much room the bicyclist is going to need. A kid with less experience might walk right into the bike. The experienced cyclist can also recognize the kid and slow down or alter their course as to not hit the kid.

The more you surf and have experience reading the line up, the sharper your responses will be. I had been zig-zagging prior to that impact, reading who might catch the wave in front of me, and made adjustments to give them space. When you are paddling out against the current and wave force, you don't generate much speed so your reaction time is much slower than the person who is catching the wave. They have more speed and more options. They can temporarily straighten out and make a late bottom turn, or take a high line, or stall, etc. in order not to hit someone in front of them. The right-of-way is a continual dance. Catching waves and being respectful of who has position, and who is just oblivious to that is more frustrating. Making adjustments to intentionally run into someone is just saying I feel I own this beach.

The State Parks are reinforcing these proners belief in that. They are basically saying, if the Longboard Surfing Club doesn't want you, then neither do we. This is probably one of the reason the BOP moved.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
Mate he could have easy missed you regardless, even if you were in the wrong place. (Not saying you were).

In fact it looks to me like he would have been better to bottom turn around you anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
Explain it to me please…

It's Doheny, paddlers are not allowed on that side.

Bingo!  Also, if you can't navigate a ton of people on the inside while on a wave, you should not be surfing Doho.  That is some bullshit TallDude!  He clearly veered high to hit you.  There were more bad vibes from the prone crowd this morning, and the guards posted 2 signs showing where SUP's go (I didn't see those yesterday).  I'm just going to ignore anything proners say to me from now on.   
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
The past few times I've been out at Doho have increasingly gotten worse. I thought it was because I got to surf my old break back in RI recently where 15 people makes a crowd and thought I just needed to get used to this congestion again but this thread makes me rethink that now. I haven't had any personal experiences at Doho lately but the vibe in general just blows. I hate that other people can't be relaxed in the ocean and just enjoying the fact that they're able to be there.

A couple months ago, I saw an old crusty longboarder, some dude with a mustache and full pad on his Infinity longboard, literally jump off his board and attempt to punch another proner in the face because he dropped in on him. They wrestled around in the water for about 15 seconds and then both were out of breath so they climbed back on their boards and proceeded to tell each other to go f**k off about 20 times. It was unreal. Everyone around them, proners and standups, all basically said in unison, dude this is 1 ft. Doho... are you for real? This particular mustached douche has had words with me before because I was north of the hammer, that's all. Not because I dropped in on him or because I was taking too many waves or because I'm ugly or that I smelled, but simply because "I wasn't allowed there". He drives an old white Ford Ranger in case you happen to see him in the parking lot...say hi and tell him it's a beautiful day, he'll probably be so confused that he won't know what to do. He's one miserable dude. Probably friends with blue rashy.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:57:35 PM by kayadogg »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
There are times I wish I was out there.....probably very good though that I'm not.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
Stoneaxe, I would love to see you in that mix for the entertainment value.  But it wouldn't be worth it when they are putting you in the back of a squad car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
Running over a 6-8 tall dude on a SUP on purpose......serious lack of mental capacity
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal