Author Topic: What do you think about using white Rustoleum spray paint on your rails?  (Read 9109 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
My board has rails that were painted black and they get super hot in the sun. Its obvious that the guy before me painted the rails black to hide some repaired dings. Now I need to fix a ding in the rail so I was thinking of re-painting the rails with white rattle-can spray paint like Rustoleum. What do you think about using that? Its cheap and it would be easy to touch up scratches later.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about using white Rustoleum spray paint on your rails?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »
I use it all the time. One of their yellow colors is a very close match to naish
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:55:33 PM »
Go for it.  I used it a lot on my first board which didn't have a very good glass job so I got lots of practice fixing dings and cracks with Solarez Epoxy and finishing off with white spray paint.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
If I'm using white, I like to use the epoxy spray paint they make for appliances,  Usually comes just in black, white and silver.  Figure I'll give it a little more protection than just regular spray paint.  Pretty tough stuff.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »
I also use the epoxy appliance spray paint.  Another reason I chose white for my custom board.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »
+1 on the epoxy appliance spray paint.  It takes longer to dry but holds up better.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »
My experience with Rustoleum has been that the spray nozzle leaves a lot to be desired.  The paint dries fine, but the application is fraught with a splotchy spray pattern and nozzle drips.  Had this happen on multiple cans.

The Krylon Fusion paint can seems to have a much more predictable and well defined spray pattern.

Nonetheless, thanks to all the posters for the heads up on the appliance paint.  I had seen that recently at Home Depot and mused about how it would be on a SUP I'm refinishing.  Like an earlier poster noted, I'm keeping it white for ease of future repair and also to keep the board cooler in the sun.  Now I'm going to use the white appliance paint to finish it.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »
Hmmm, for some reason I wasn't getting email notifications of everyones comments. Thanks everyone!  :)

To get a finer finish with rattle can paint, shake the can a bunch and then submerge it in a sink or bucket of warm water for five to ten minutes. Do NOT use super hot water. Nice and warm is good though. After five to ten minutes pull out and shake again and start spraying immediately. Not only will you get a cleaner finish, but you won't end up with a can that still has paint in it but no air to shoot the paint. I learned this when I was about twenty while doing bright-work on sailboats and have been using it ever since then.

My experience with Rustoleum has been that the spray nozzle leaves a lot to be desired.  The paint dries fine, but the application is fraught with a splotchy spray pattern and nozzle drips.  Had this happen on multiple cans.

The Krylon Fusion paint can seems to have a much more predictable and well defined spray pattern.

Nonetheless, thanks to all the posters for the heads up on the appliance paint.  I had seen that recently at Home Depot and mused about how it would be on a SUP I'm refinishing.  Like an earlier poster noted, I'm keeping it white for ease of future repair and also to keep the board cooler in the sun.  Now I'm going to use the white appliance paint to finish it.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »
Is that epoxy appliance spray paint you guys were using made by Rustoleum?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
Just used epoxy appliance white on my Bullet I'm selling and it worked great.  There was a little breeze where I sprayed (outside), not downwind breeze but enough to keep me from inhaling too much fumes and know where the drift would go.   

Went to Ace so used the Ace brand but I've seen it in Rustoleum.

Sometimes the spray throws little blobs but they seemed to spread out evenly as they dried.  Just keep the can moving about 8" away.  Went over it with 300 grit after it was dry.  Feels nice. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
Here's the pic

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal