Author Topic: post your first time with a sup funny stories  (Read 7846 times)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: post your first time with a sup funny stories
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
The first time I rented from a place in Sunset Beach CA.  We were visiting here from Montana.  There I rode a Mtn. Bike.  And I grew up sailing and surfing.  We were going to Hawaii in a few weeks and I didn't want my first time to be in Hawaii.  Whatever they had must have been cheap, all around.  In the harbor, I could hardly balance on my knees.
Fortunately, Paddle Power in Newport rented Lairds.  I did much better, at least on my knees.

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
No, freetobeme, it wasn't those guys. It's really bugging me. He had the same name as an actor, I think, a real familiar name but for the life of me I can't recall it.

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
I remembered the marathon paddler was paddling to raise awareness of plastic waste in the water, so with The Google I was able to "remember" his familiar name: Tom Jones. And found this ...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/article_3e640696-a418-11df-a4cd-001cc4c002e0.html

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »
I remembered the marathon paddler was paddling to raise awareness of plastic waste in the water, so with The Google I was able to "remember" his familiar name: Tom Jones. And found this ...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/article_3e640696-a418-11df-a4cd-001cc4c002e0.html

Funny, I've met Tom Jones and that's initially who I thought it was when you posted that. My friend bought his 14' Laird coast runner that he used for that. I went to his house in Huntington Beach to pick up the board. He was one of the early MMA fighters. Really nice guy. I haven't seen him since. A guy I wouldn't mess with in the line-up!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqKp6XH35uY
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »
My 1st time on a board was just after giving Bill a paddle that I'd spent about a month building...backwards as it turned out. Bill one ups my gift by giving me his board....this gif is of my very 1st time on a small lake/pond....says it all I guess.

The second where I am today....in my dreams..... ::)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
Here's a pic of me about 5 seconds after I got on a board for the first time.

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »
I jumped in with both feet.

I had NO interest in SUP's. I was surrounded by them every day at my local break. It just didn't look interesting to me.
BUT one day... I figured I could surf the really small days if I had one.

I had NEVER touched a SUP.... but I went out and spent $1,800 on a Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36 and a carbon paddle.

Paddled in a river for about a mile.... piece of cake... time to hit the surf ;D

Perfectly glassy 2' peelers. I fell 100 times day one, caught one wave on my knees and stood up.

Everyone in the line-up could hear my daughter on the beach, laughing hysterically and peeing her pants  ;D

Never been on a surfboard since ;)

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »
My first time on a board was no problem. A wide Bic barge with lots of volume...paddled for a couple hours and never fell off. I was thinking this was a blast and my son likes it too. You know, it's all those years of skateboarding that was going to make sup'ing a piece of cake. ::)

Then Kayadog offered to let us try some of his boards....I saw the 14' Speedboard and headed straight for it. I pushed off from shore with visions of slicing through the water at top speed...got up, got maybe three strokes in, and on the fourth I stuck the paddle in and proceeded to forward roll and capsize myself and the board. "Okay, maybe not so easy....". Then, I watched my son who never really got into skateboarding much hop right on that Speedboard and took off like a semi-pro. My ego was deflated (for me) and elated (for him) at the same time.

Still with it and we're having fun together. 8)

Will

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
First two times with a SUP were fine; paddled the marina in Dana Point on one of the 11'6" NSP rental barges.

First time SURFING a rental SUP battleship, flirting with disaster.

First of all, I couldn't really prone surf yet.  Figured that since I couldn't really prone surf, and could barely SUP, I'd put the two of them together and somehow make one plus negative two equal five.  At least maybe something miraculous would happen.

Divine intervention eluded me. 

Hit the surf zone at Doheny with no leash given to me and took a shot....multiple shots.  At least I had the common sense to stay away from anyone else.  I flailed into waves and crashed in every conceivable way...clearly remember having to retrieve the board as it washed ashore, just before I washed ashore.  Somewhere along the line it occurred to me that I could die or be seriously injured.  Just after that realization gelled in my head, I fell on the board and found myself surfing on my back with me feet facing the beach, in a position I learned later is called the "coffin," praying that I would live.  That was my most terrifying experience, and yet was my best wave of the day.

I'm lucky that neither I nor anyone else ended up in an actual coffin from the whole embarrassing episode.   I still cringe when I think about it....  The lifeguards probably use video from that day in their "Don't let this happen on your beach" class to newby lifies.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:38:30 PM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
My first time was 5 years ago with my wife. I prone surfed but she never got into that, so she decided to try SUP in the bays. She took some lessons and invites me out to try SUP. I have to admit I wasn't very interested in it then. I'm reassured that this will be great and they have a board that will float me no problem.

We go in the morning for a 3 mile or so paddle in the bays. Lo and behold one of the girls bring their very FLUFFY  friend with them. Guess who gets the board meant for me? I get a NSP board meant to float a 150lb person in flatwater. I'm 6'2" 207.

I get up on this board and it's wobbling so bad my quads are crying. I have to paddle so fast to keep afloat that no lie, I am canted to the point that the side I am paddling on is ankle deep in water. I fell at least a dozen times. Of course my wife is 5'2" 112lbs and won't give up her 10'6" Surftech Universal which has more volume than the board I was using. My wife is grinning ear to ear because she never fell in once. Needless to say I couldn't walk down steps for three days!!

Fast forward to today and I'm hooked like crazy on SUP/SUS.

Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
KeNalu Ho'oloa paddle
Surftech 11'6" Balboa
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 05:33:56 PM »
"I'm lucky that neither I nor anyone else ended up in an actual coffin from the whole embarrassing episode.   I still cringe when I think about it....  The lifeguards probably use video from that day in their "Don't let this happen on your beach" class to newby lifies. "

Ohhhhh!  So you're THAT guy.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »
"I'm lucky that neither I nor anyone else ended up in an actual coffin from the whole embarrassing episode.   I still cringe when I think about it....  The lifeguards probably use video from that day in their "Don't let this happen on your beach" class to newby lifies. "

Ohhhhh!  So you're THAT guy.

Maybe...haven't seen the videos....If I'm in them I'll be waiting for my residual checks...
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 12:33:50 AM »
I'm a last light surfer.  One evening there was a 20-ish couple tandem surfing a SUP as the sun went down.  They stayed out maybe an hour past last light.  Think it might of been there first time on a SUP.

Never done it with a SUP.  Don't swing that way.  There was a lot of paddling involved when doing it in my younger days.

OK, how about ... took me two or three sessions to figure out which face of the paddle was which.  If a good samaritan had not straightened me out back then I'd probably still be paddling backwards.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
I'm a last light surfer.  One evening there was a 20-ish couple tandem surfing a SUP as the sun went down.  They stayed out maybe an hour past last light.  Think it might of been there first time on a SUP.

Never done it with a SUP.  Don't swing that way.  There was a lot of paddling involved when doing it in my younger days.
Hey, not a bad idea if they were at Doho....

If the LG told them they can't "SUP" in front of his tower, and that they'd have to move further south....she could holler back, "I'm already below of the hammer!!" :P :-[ :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 10:25:52 AM »
I was doing lots of PT for my back and having lunch on the wharf here in Santa Barbara.  Looked out and saw a guy paddling an SUP and realized he was getting most of what I was paying a therapist for to watch me stand on bosu balls.  I had been a kayaker and loved being on the water, but the sitting position and getting the boat out and up on the car was not great for the back.

Bought a 12' Isle barge from a guy off CL for $400.  Got a used paddle from the rental place in the Harbor for $75 (where the employee immediately pointed out I was holding it backwards).  Went home, put it in my pool and stood on it for about 3min and concluded that SUP was easy and I had mastered it.

A few days later, I took it out on Saturday morning.  Overcast with moderate chop--stuff that wouldn't even phase me today.  I don't think I was able to stand more than 30 seconds at a time.  Worst part was there were two women walking around the cove who didn't realize how well their voices traveled over water.  Heard them laughing all the way up the beach and back ("Oh!  Oh! Oh!  Look!  There he goes again!!!).  Made their day but came home humbled and exhausted after 45 minutes of battling.

Retreated to the harbor for the next 6 weeks.  Got the hang of it and then started making my way a bit further out from behind the breakwater each time.  Returned to the original put in place and mastered conditions no problem.  My other kook experience was that I didn't really realize you could surf these things, I would just paddle around the little cove and watch people go out to the point.  I'd see them out there just staying in one place and wondered what they were doing.  Probably open ocean paddled for about a year before I tried to catch a wave (the Isle did me no favors here--went and got a WidePoint and then the fun began).
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal