Author Topic: Humbled newbie today  (Read 11439 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Humbled newbie today
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
This definitely went off the rails a bit...... :o

Back to the subject. I struggled to do this far more than anyone else I know. When people talk of struggling for a few days or sessions or even a few weeks all I can think is "if only". It took me months....on a 12-6 x 30.5... :o. Everyone is going to be different and your mileage will vary but for me getting out on the water is all that works. My balance problems are unique (here anyway) to me. I had been doing vestibular therapy both directed at a facility under the guidance of a therapist and on my own using all the usual aids and techniques, bosu, balance disk, one legged lifts, yada, yada.....none of it was very effective. I was still struggling to find normal again. After a long struggle to stand....not ride waves....just to stand... SUP finally started to work. What years of typical balance therapy hadn't helped SUP brought back in 3 months. For me there is no substitute to TOW. I think it has to do with retraining my vestibular system to rely more on vision. The broad flat horizon offered while on the water coupled with challenging my balance to the max is what does it for me.....again though...my balance issues are somewhat unique. Improvements in proprioception offered by off water exercise is only as good as the reference.....and my reference was broken.

The good thing is....it's the days that you might not otherwise get out that you can to use to get better at it. The sloppy choppy windblown days become an opportunity. I even find it fun in a somewhat masochistic sense. I've stood at the waters edge thinking "this is going to suck" but an hour or two later I'm still playing in it and having some fun with the challenge.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:56:04 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and great insights and advice. When it's choppy in the ocean I would go and paddle in the bay. Seems like what I should be doing is paddle in the chop and wind in the ocean and not just paddle the ocean on the clean days. I am also going to supplement time in the ocean with some dry land balance work as well. Thanks for the great tips. I know it's all about time on the water, now I just need to direct it in the ocean. Looks like I'm getting off work a little early tomorrow, and if that's the case I'll be in the surf on my Allwave.

Thanks again!

Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
KeNalu Ho'oloa paddle
Surftech 11'6" Balboa
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »

nj_sup, I sent you a private message.  Look near the top in "My Messages" to see it.  Hope that info helps.

Got it. Thanks

Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
KeNalu Ho'oloa paddle
Surftech 11'6" Balboa
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and great insights and advice. When it's choppy in the ocean I would go and paddle in the bay. Seems like what I should be doing is paddle in the chop and wind in the ocean and not just paddle the ocean on the clean days. I am also going to supplement time in the ocean with some dry land balance work as well. Thanks for the great tips. I know it's all about time on the water, now I just need to direct it in ocean

One of the ways to maximise the learning experience with TOTW is, as has been said before, is go out in all conditions. Then when you are on the water find the toughest places to paddle. For me this is paddling along the ocean shoreline where there is backwash and often tight spaces between outlying rocks and the shore to paddle through. Need to be sensible as you don't want to fall and bash your head on a rock but it sure gets those legs working.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »
The Stand Up World Tour is in Huntington Beach tomorrow.  Late this afternoon, I walked out on the pier and watched about 12 SUSers were out. 
A lot of the guys were up to their knees when trying to just hang out waiting for the next wave.  Two guys seemed to be having a contest keeping their balance while splashing each other using their paddles.  A lot of falling was going on.  These are the pros.
So the falling seems to be a big part of getting better.  TOW.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal