Author Topic: Finally bought my Starboard Carbon Fiber 8'0 Pro 2014  (Read 8910 times)

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Finally bought my Starboard Carbon Fiber 8'0 Pro 2014
« on: September 14, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
Hey guys,

After a year and a half of (obsessively) checking craigslist for deals, I finally found a like new (used 5 times by a guy who needed another because his got lost in travel) Starboard 8'0 2014 Carbon Fiber. I thought i'd give you my take so far. The specs are 8'0 x 28 x 3.7 96L. I have been using the Naish Hokua 8'5 x 28 x 3 3/4 115L. Wow! What a difference!

The Naish: I never fell in love with Naish. I always felt it was sluggish and a pain to maneuver. It also has a LOT of rocker for southern california. I imagine it's better for Hawaiian waves. In addition, as most SUP'rs know the nightmare of getting caught on the inside, the Naish was no exception. The 15 LBS was a pain in the ass in any waves of consequence.

The Starboard: So far it as lived up to it's reputation. It is both fast and maneuverable. I have only had it in 2-3 foot beach break waves and cannot wait to bring it out in something bigger. And with everyone raving about how light it was, it was even lighter than expected. If I had to pick what I like most, it would be how responsive it is. It takes little to no work to pump or snap off the lip.

I was a little concerned being between varying 190-200 pounds. I've heard mixed things as to whether or not it would float me. End result? Floats me fine. I figure I could even go up to 205 and be ok. It does take a little bit more balance than the Naish but that was to be expected.

My only complaint.......The startouch. Total horse-shit if you ask me. I've read many posts on here of people doing fine with it... Maybe there not surfing as aggressively? I don't know. With my weight I need some kind of traction for balance and this did not deliver. So far I bought a DK traction pad and waxed the rest of the board. Tuesday were supposed to see some 5-7 swell so I should be able to test my current set up.

The 2015's are coming out and I am not a big fan of the dimensions. They widened the board and added 16 more liters. I doubt it will be as maneuverable. If you've wanted a 2014 your time is almost up...
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
Re: Finally bought my Starboard Carbon Fiber 8'0 Pro 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:58:44 AM »
Great board! I've owned a few 8'0 pro (2012 AST Silver, 2013 BC, 2014 BC). They are really great boards to surf; light, stable and super fast and responsive. I donīt like the Startouch either. It will only work when you wear booties. I use wax and a tail pad (if you get you back foot on the kicker, the board will explode on turns). The wax doesn't stick as well as in a fiber surfboard so you have to constantly was the board.

I'm 68/70 kgs and I find it stable even in 20 knots conditions. So I'm going to upgrade to the 2015 7'7 BC (95 lts). I'm going to put the new deck pad available for SB pro boards and they come already with a tail pad.

But the 8'0 will take you to super fun top to bottom surf, with critical moves maintaining speed (it's fast!). I find that the 7'7 has a better response air dropping after a fast critical move on the lip (it's shorter...)

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Great board! I've owned a few 8'0 pro (2012 AST Silver, 2013 BC, 2014 BC). They are really great boards to surf; light, stable and super fast and responsive. I donīt like the Startouch either. It will only work when you wear booties. I use wax and a tail pad (if you get you back foot on the kicker, the board will explode on turns). The wax doesn't stick as well as in a fiber surfboard so you have to constantly was the board.

I'm 68/70 kgs and I find it stable even in 20 knots conditions. So I'm going to upgrade to the 2015 7'7 BC (95 lts). I'm going to put the new deck pad available for SB pro boards and they come already with a tail pad.

But the 8'0 will take you to super fun top to bottom surf, with critical moves maintaining speed (it's fast!). I find that the 7'7 has a better response air dropping after a fast critical move on the lip (it's shorter...)

Thanks for the reply. A few questions for you...

Do you ever find the wax annoying? I too have had to wax it before each session. It seems to get all over my chest (no wetsuit) paddle, paddle handle, my shorts, etc. kind of a mess. Considering just getting a pad for it. Wonder if theres any downside to a pad..?

Also, in bigger waves, it's so fast, while still obviously manuverable, I'm finding it harder to do aggressive turns and snaps just because there's so much speed. I'm kind of thinking this is just going to take some getting used to..

Any thoughts?
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
I wish I could afford a board like yours!  It's awesome. 

High speed maneuvers: Get your center of gravity lower on all of your aggressive snaps and turns.  Many of us standup guys, including me, tend to try to turn with our center of gravity too high.  Bend your knees more just before you turn; get lower.  Look at the pros, their knees are pretty deeply bent just before they snap a turn.  That way, the knees absorb shock, compensate for sliding or blowing the tail out, and you can turn more aggressively when your CG is lower.  This is one key to how the pros do those high speed, slashing moves.  I'm talking like I'm a pro and have this wired, but I'm not and I don't.  I'm just working on getting it down myself, but man does it help!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:45:09 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 04:44:15 AM »

Thanks for the reply. A few questions for you...

Do you ever find the wax annoying? I too have had to wax it before each session. It seems to get all over my chest (no wetsuit) paddle, paddle handle, my shorts, etc. kind of a mess. Considering just getting a pad for it. Wonder if theres any downside to a pad..?

Also, in bigger waves, it's so fast, while still obviously manuverable, I'm finding it harder to do aggressive turns and snaps just because there's so much speed. I'm kind of thinking this is just going to take some getting used to..

Any thoughts?

Wax is really annoying. My paddle is full of wax and I have to constantly wax the board, since it doesn't stick as in a surfboard. But I find it grips better than a pad, and that's a great advantage in choppy conditions.

As for bigger waves, try playing with your fins. I normally use the 4.5'' standard side fins that came with the board and use a surf fin in the rear (same size) with an FCS adapter. I also like it with quad fins, but I use the 4.5'' (front) and 3.7'' rear. I heavier surf I use the  2+1 fins that came with the board. But if you want more grip in the heavier stuff you can use a quad (e.g.: 4.5'' front and 4.5'' rear.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:12:17 AM »
My first SUP was a Starboard and had the Star Touch.  I found the Star touch was just ok but in cold water was almost worthless so I sanded mine off and replaced with deck pad.  100% improvement
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »
The 2015 8-0 x28" Pro is listed at 105L.  The 2014 board is listed at 96L.  So thats a 9L difference. 

There is a new 8-0 x 29"L Pro for 2015 at 111L.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 07:28:41 AM »
I still don't understand why starboard has stuck with the startouch. I don't think I know anyone that likes it....everyone either waxes it or adds a normal pad.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
I believe the 2015 boards will all come with pads.

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »

[/quote]

Wax is really annoying. My paddle is full of wax and I have to constantly wax the board, since it doesn't stick as in a surfboard. But I find it grips better than a pad, and that's a great advantage in choppy conditions.

As for bigger waves, try playing with your fins. I normally use the 4.5'' standard side fins that came with the board and use a surf fin in the rear (same size) with an FCS adapter. I also like it with quad fins, but I use the 4.5'' (front) and 3.7'' rear. I heavier surf I use the  2+1 fins that came with the board. But if you want more grip in the heavier stuff you can use a quad (e.g.: 4.5'' front and 4.5'' rear.

[/quote]

Which FCS adapter did you use? Is it the green one? And which board do you have...2014? I bought the fcs adapter for my 8'5 naish and it was crap. Didn't fit right. Wondering if it will for starboard 2014?
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:10:01 AM »
I believe the 2015 boards will all come with pads.

Ufortunately not for the pro's. Just a tail pad. Guess that's a start.
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
Hi congrats on your new board. I too have been thinking about a  starboard carbon. My question is given the cost do they last longer? Do they ding easily or delaminate or deform after sun prolonged exposure? My whopper ast has been indestructible but the star touch scratched my knees up so I put a deck pad on pretty painless to do. Are the war dog carbon boards as durable and sturdy as starboard? Thx
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
Hi congrats on your new board. I too have been thinking about a  starboard carbon. My question is given the cost do they last longer? Do they ding easily or delaminate or deform after sun prolonged exposure? My whopper ast has been indestructible but the star touch scratched my knees up so I put a deck pad on pretty painless to do. Are the war dog carbon boards as durable and sturdy as starboard? Thx

While I haven't had mine for long I can speak to what I have found in research. Apparently there next to indestructible. I've heard stories of of the carbons flying off the top of a car on a freeway and having minimal damage. You also see the starboard reps standing on them indoors. That said they can ding but I believe it just happens less often.

From what I know about carbon fiber it's very sun sensitive. You definately want to store in doors.

Unfortunately can't speak to the war dogs - never had one.
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 02:23:12 AM »

Which FCS adapter did you use? Is it the green one? And which board do you have...2014? I bought the fcs adapter for my 8'5 naish and it was crap. Didn't fit right. Wondering if it will for starboard 2014?
[/quote]

I use this one: http://www.surffcs.com/shop/surf-accessories/longboard-box-adapter

Not a perfect fit, but it does the job well.

Also, all 2015 Starboard carbon boards come with deck pad, except for the Pro range (tail pad and optional pad for each specific model: 7'7, 8'0, 8'5, etc.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »
wax rules, pads are for girls.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal