Author Topic: Even Great White Sharks hate soft tops.  (Read 6286 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:38:38 PM by southwesterly »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Even Great White Sharks hate soft tops.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
I firmly believe in the possibility of a shark attack, especially up there, but I'm suspicious that this one is a hoax.  Not sure why. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »
Maybe it was his brother's favorite board and he was afraid of getting pounded when he wrecked it.

"They were just doing what they're designed to do," Browning said. "And they thought I was something else. And that's all it is. I got no hard feelings against sharks."

I don't know if I would be quite that noblesse oblige.  More like stammering and soiling myself every time I thought of it for three or four days.

However, maybe the dude is just extra mellow and it was a shark, it's white season.

I have seen some really huge dolphin looking fins out past the kelp lately with some breaching.  I wonder if they are killer whales rather than dolphins out there, but haven't heard of any reports.  They are supposed to keep the great whites away. 

Maybe they are just extra large dolphins, no steam jets like you see with most whale sightings.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »
It was the Shark alright.  Judging by the carnage, I'm thinking Greg Norman with his chainsaw.

Good to see he's going to be ok.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24709613/greg-norman-almost-cut-his-hand-off-with-a-chainsaw
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:42:24 PM by Bean »

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
…but I'm suspicious that this one is a hoax.  Not sure why.

The real culprit?  ;D
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
You can now buy his bit and broken board on craigslist for $1,000 dollars.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/spo/4669246644.html

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
Gee, what a deal, just down the street from where my place is.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
You can now buy his bit and broken board on craigslist for $1,000 dollars.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/spo/4669246644.html

Which makes this episode all the more suspicious. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »
Fake.

When asked why his board did not have any fins, Browning said the shark probably ripped them off when it landed on his board.

"I hope that shark has a fin in his back" he said.

Fake.
That's what many local surfers and Santa Cruz County residents are wondering this week after Beau Browning called KSBW's newsroom and told his shark tale on TV Sunday.

Suspicions heightened when a Craigslist advertisement was posted on Monday.

The ad read, "Shark Attack Surfboard For Sale - $1,000 (santa cruz). 9'0" SurfTech soft/top Tufflite epoxy bottom...literally buckled and bitten by large white shark attack. See KSBW news account. Google KSBW news shark attack. The board is a one-of-a-kind testament to the ferocity of this particular attack. The owner of the board miraculously survived unscathed but shook up! We will sell outright for $1,000 or trade for a pristine longboard, preferably Pearson Arrow, Surftech, or Freeline."

When KSBW called Browning to ask him about the Craigslist ad, he said his friend Marty posted it, and he had no intention of actually selling it. He added that Pearson Arrow Surf Shop offered to give him a new board for cheap because of his shark experience. The ad was deleted from Craigslist.

Browning said he was surfing at dusk Saturday and was riding a wave when a great white shark rammed his surfboard, launching him into the air.

"I caught my second wave, and barely got into it, and out of nowhere, I was popped into the air by probably like 10, 15 feet, looked down, and saw a shark," Browning told KSBW.

According to Browning, the shark landed on his board and split it. The surfer was then dragged underwater by the shark after it bit into his board and swam deeper with it while Browning's ankle was still tethered with a leash, he said.

State parks rangers are attempting to figure out if a shark really did attack, and are eager to talk to anyone who witnessed the Manresa encounter. So far, no witnesses have come forward.

Rangers said they had a hard time reaching Browning on Monday and Tuesday, but he eventually agreed to meet with them and show them the board first-hand on Thursday.

Sean Van Sommeran, a Santa Cruz shark expert with the Pelagic Shark Research Foundation, said there are key signs to look for while determining if a shark attack really happened.

"There will be subtle, if not obvious, teeth marks," Sommeran said. "Surfboards are constructed almost perfectly to seize a loose tooth."

"Half the boards I've seen, the shark left a fragment in it, either blood, or gum, or a tooth," Sommeran said.

Sharks even have tiny scales that would rub off on a board if the shark landed hard on it, Sommeran said.

Roger Stoneburner was one of several skeptics who wrote into KSBW and said Browning seemed too calm to be a person who was just attacked by a shark.

"Why so nonchalant? He was just slammed by a creature the size of a VW bus, no doubt at full speed to knock him 10-15 feet in the air. But he's not freaked at all," Stoneburner said.

When interviewed by KSBW on Monday, Browning's story change slightly from his news interview that aired on TV Sunday.

On Sunday he said his friends saw the shark attack, but on Monday, he said they were too far away to see much.

"I was pretty much alone," Browning said.

On Sunday, he gave details about what the great white looked like and how big it was, however on Monday, he said he was not sure that it was a shark at all.

"I could have been smacked by a whale's tail. It happened so fast. I saw gray and white. I was in shock," he said.

When asked why his board did not have any fins, Browning said the shark probably ripped them off when it landed on his board.

"I hope that shark has a fin in his back" he said.

Still, Sommeran said this is the time of year when large great white sharks swim from the open ocean into the Monterey Bay, and hang out close to shore. He said he's amazed that more injuries from sharks do not happen each year.

Less than 24 hours after Browning's experience, a biologist witnessed a shark eating a harbor seal and throwing the seal up in the air off Seabright State Beach in Santa Cruz.

"She described a shark sticking its head out of the water and some blood in the water," State Park Supervising Ranger Joe Connors said.

Shark warning signs will remain posted at Manresa and Seabright beaches this week.

Sommeran said real and fake shark reports are made locally every year.

Last year, fake sharking warning signs ordering people to stay out of the water were posted at Pleasure Point during a rare summer swell. The signs were marked with a state park seal and claimed an aggressive great white attacked three people at Capitola Beach, Privates, and Rockview in Santa Cruz.

The most serious, confirmed shark attack happened at Marina State Beach in October 2011. Eric Tarantino, 29, of Seaside, narrowly escaped death when a great white bit his arm and neck before dragging him below the surface. A tooth was inches away from a main artery in his neck. Tarantino recovered at a trauma center, got a free new board from Vernor Surfboards, and still surfs at Marina State Beach.

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-califor...2#ixzz3DXLFzTuc

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
I don't care if he faked it or not except the powers to be closed Manresa beach for the next 5 days.

Idiots on both sides of this story.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
This guy's story is fake, here's why:  If the shark landed on the fins and ripped them out as he claimed, there would either be fin remnants still in the fin boxes, or the fin boxes would be ripped out of the board.  Three fins aren't going to magically come out of the board with no damage to it.  That's the way I see it.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »
This guy's story is fake, here's why:  If the shark landed on the fins and ripped them out as he claimed, there would either be fin remnants still in the fin boxes, or the fin boxes would be ripped out of the board.  Three fins aren't going to magically come out of the board with no damage to it.  That's the way I see it.

And now he has refused to let the experts examine the board. I'd hate to see a news report years from now start out with,

"How ironic that the same person who reported a fake event in 2014, is now the latest victim of the notorious great white shark. Full story at 11".

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 02:08:09 PM »
What bullshit. I look forward to that future story. the picture is stupid and lazy. At least he should have done something that remotely looked like a shark hit. And he shouldn't have used a finless board he found in the trash.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »
Totally believable if you think there are toothless sharks that like to grab and suck on surfboards thinking they are big frozen otter pops.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal