Author Topic: Look at how the time goes past  (Read 24180 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Look at how the time goes past
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »
Yahoo news decided that I needed to know that Neil Young has been smooching around town with Daryl Hannah.  Feeling vaguely like I had just driven past a car crash, I followed a link out to the youtube vid below.  That helped.  Realized that most (all ?) of my favorite music is played eyes closed and grimacing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Look at how the time goes past
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »
Good stuff for a lazy Sunday afternoon. I'm up at my shop, ruining a bunch of perfectly good aluminum and listening to Boz Scaggs. That fit right in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »
Yep
It takes a quiver to do that.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:14:29 AM »
Not many recording artists have directly affected multiple generations like Neil Young.

I was surprised to hear that Neil's "Long May You Run" was written about his car that bit the dust; an old black hearse that he had named "Mort". 

"Maybe The Beach Boys
Have got you now
With those waves
Singing Caroline
Rollin' down
That empty ocean road
Gettin' to the surf on time."

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Oh damn. I don't want to see any young/old pictures of myself.

Actually, now that I think of it, it might not be so bad. I was pretty fat and used up when I was running Babcock & Jenkins.

Old Neil is kind of fugly. What's Darryl Hannah looking like these days???

OK, I had to look. I guess time beats almost everyone. Even Anouk Aimee, who still was stunningly beautiful at 55, is a little more grandmotherly at 80.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:16:58 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
I've been whistling "A Man And A Woman" all day. Anouk Aimee made me insane in that movie. Permanently established what I think romance is all about.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:25:53 PM »
continuing thread drift...

If you are a Claude Lelouch fan and a car buff, also speaking of time passing, I presume you know "C'etait un rendez vous" short film?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:45 PM »
Of course. I've driven the route--not at the same speed of course, but not slow. Peripherique to Sacre-Coeur. I'm probably one of ten thousand idiots to have done that at 4:00 AM.

If I did it again I'd have my wife walk down the steps to the car instead of it just being me and the pigeons. It also should be a Ferrari instead of a Peugeot diesel, but it was a surprisingly good little car. 

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:00:47 PM by PonoBill »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »
Like the car accident referral.  Knew a pal who did that to me, driving over government pass to Portland.  Logging truck had blown a passenger car to smithereens.  I'm driving and he's going, don't look, don't look.  Then when all the brains are clearly visible he yells, look!  And of course you do by reflex.

Don't care what these guys look like and Neil's voice actually isn't too much different from when he was young, both bad.  Now Steven Stills had a great voice when he was young and sounds like a frog now.  Willie and James Taylor are notable exceptions to ageless voices.

We all look like wooden Indians now.  Girls walk right by like you don't even exist.  Going to the dermatologist doesn't help.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
Hea, it could be worse~
It takes a quiver to do that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »
Shaken not stirred......

Or is it

Shaking and slurred......

Still my second favorite Bond. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:44:15 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 11:13:45 PM »
This thread sucks. I've been increasingly transparent to women since I turned 45. By now I need clearance lights. On the plus side, I look way better than mick.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 04:19:59 AM »
Don't care what these guys look like and Neil's voice actually isn't too much different from when he was young, both bad.

All my favorite singers have lousy voices.  Completely agree with not caring how they look.  A little ugly makes the charisma that much more evident. That and a bit of the comfortable outcast, summed up perfectly by the underlying, "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you."  Some great oldie pics have been posted here, but that was not my point at all.  These guys benefit from looking haggard.  It is all proof that they have been living the dream correctly.  I have no use for human icons, I want the ideal and I want Daryl Hannah to get the hell off Sugar Mountain.  I don't want Paul Simon beating up on Edie Brickell.  Some things are sacred. 

There's a lot of pretty in music right now and singers with technically great voices doing that horrible air-thing they do with one epileptic hand but most of the music makes me want to cover my face and yell, "who did this to us?"

As for aging our way, my epiphany came when I was in my early 20's on a restaurant date with Chan.  A perfectly scrappy oldster at the table next to us leaned about 15 degrees left and eased out a rumbler that had obviously been contained for too long.  He then proceeded to look around at the surrounding tables like we had violated his moment.  I recall thinking, that's how old is  done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV28tNS5ScE
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:43:28 AM by Admin »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »
"one epileptic hand " Ha.  Joe Cocker invented epileptic only he used both hands.  I agree that those nasally voices we listened to like Dylan and Young were a Woody Guthrie type of attraction.  Call it rap with a melody.  Too bad Dylan can't get beyond mumbling these days but Subterranean Blues was my fav.

That vid was really hilarious.  Only it was a young guy gassing the old guys.  Rodney Dangerfield would have been perfect.  He did old great. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »
I hate that, it looks like they're trying to teach the rest of us to sing.

I like, hate it almost worse than like? Or like the rising interrogative? To finish every incomplete, like, sentence? Like the speaker is like so, like insecure? That they like need encouragement? To like keep speaking? Like drivel? And then they, like, look at their cell phone? Like after every sentence? Because, like, someone more important? Like could be texting them?

Where the fuck did that speech pattern come from, and why have guys picked it up from 14 year old girls who seem to have perfected it. I practically beat it out of my grandsons. "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? OK."

You only have to do that once, really.

I haven't bought any new music in ten years, except for an Adele album, and that was a momentary brain fart. Prior to that I had a room full of vinyl, and later thousands of CDs. There's a reason oldies stations do well. And those ones that don't quite know what they are "Music from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and today!!" don't do so well. I do like Coldplay though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:25:49 AM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal