Author Topic: 1st post looking for advice between Laird surfer and hybrid surfer.  (Read 3894 times)

sdjb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
1st off I would like to say great forum. I'm looking into getting a Laird board and am having a hard time deciding between the 9'6 surfer and the 10'0 hybrid surfer. I want to stay around 125 liters hence the different lengths. I was hoping someone with some time on either board could give me a little insight on them. I mostly surf around San Diego area. Thanks for any help.

sdjb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1st post looking for advice between Laird surfer and hybrid surfer.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »
I guess I should re think my board choice ?

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
Them're pretty new boards.  I ain't ever seen one, much less test driven...  I ride a very old 12" Pearson Arrow Laird when the swell is small... catches anything...

... but then, that weren't your question, was it? 

Try, try again - best,

SUPr
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:00:18 PM »
Generally speaking, without time on either, and given the surf breaks in your geographic area AND assuming you have some background on the water (ref your comment on volume), I'd say go with the shorter board.

If you're a really big dude and/or totally inexperienced on the water, that may change things to favor something bigger.

Best idea is to keep borrowing boards until you have more dial in.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:04:29 PM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
Generally speaking, without time on either, and given the surf breaks in your geographic area AND assuming you have some background on the water (ref your comment on volume), I'd say go with the shorter board.

If you're a really big dude and/or totally inexperienced on the water, that may change things to favor something bigger.

Best idea is to keep borrowing boards until you have more dial in.

Agree.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 05:56:00 AM »
If you are planning to spend more time on the nose and cruising the 9'6" would be s better choice. If you are going to surf more from the tail the  hybrid, even though longer, has a higher level of carving and turning performance.

And I have ridden a new Laird Firefish, old Laird Surftech, and newer Laird Surtech boards.

Go to the Seabreeze AU forum. Great thread and information on both boards. Either one would be a great ride.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

sdjb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »
Thanks to all keep it comming

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
Too bad you missed Camp Sup up in Doheny, they had both boards there.
Filling in a few blanks would help.  Want to noseride more than top to bottom cut filled surfing, get the surfer.  Want a hair more performance, go with the Hybrid.  Your local break will dictate things too. Beach break vs reef & point.

I rode the 11 x 30 at the camp and it was a catch everything nimble longboard.

I had two longboards I spent a ton of time on during my prone days.  A 9-6 thinned out Johnny Rice 2+1 was magic at Oceanside and Pipes.  My thicker Weber Stylist make cliffs and cardiff reef a dream.  I think what I'm saying is get both.  ;D
Really, what's the worst that could happen.   You sell one after riding if less than the other, for a couple hundred less than you paid, and all your questions are answered?   ;)

sdjb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 09:09:24 PM »
Thanks all. I decided on the 10' hybrid after a lot of thought and research. Took it out after I got in some of the worst chop I have ever been in and the board was very stable. I was blown away with how well it paddled and just how stable it was for a 125-130 liter board. Thanks for the help and can't wait to get it out in some nice surf. 

sdjb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 06:19:08 AM »
I had a chance to go out on the hybrids laird yesterday. I cannot believe the difference a quality board makes.  That board is incredible it is fast and catches waves so easy.  It surfs as good as a few prone short boards I have had. I can't say enough good things and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a performance sus. Can't wait to get it in bigger waves.

RecSuppa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »
Never had the chance to try the newer Surfers or Hybrids, but my 10'6" Laird made by Surftech (Pearson shape, basically an older version of the Surfer) is still my magic board.

I've been surfing anything from ankle high to six footers and even a little bigger. Just move the center fin a little towards the front and step on the tail. It will turn better than most SUP boards I've tried so far, even much smaller / shorter boards. And nose riding it is such a joy!

Aloha.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal