Author Topic: Some Ancient History  (Read 4072 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Some Ancient History
« on: September 13, 2014, 02:32:18 PM »
I found a magazine August 1945 "Paradise of the Pacific" that my father in law had brought back from Hawaii. He was a dive bomber in the pacific during the war and stationed on the islands after.

There were a couple of pics in a short article about the beach boys. Look at that slab of koa! Imagine paddling that with the blade the Duke is showing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:35:26 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Some Ancient History
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
Cool.

My father was a diver bomber as well, Battle of the Coral Sea WWII.  He got a Navy Cross.  I guess I must have gotten my timidity from my mother.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »
My mom learned to surf on one of those, probably from someone in that picture.  Kind of a beef-cake shot. I wonder what she was really after.  I'd ask her about the shot, but she is pretty much blind.

Used to see Duke around when I was a kid.  He drove a big white Rolls...he was not hard to spot.

Navy cross!  Thats huge! In the small world category, my dad also flew WW II combat in the pacific, but he was in the army air core in China.  Asked him about that once, he said the navy is great, until the ship sinks.  He was on his front lawn in Honolulu on Dec 7.  Planes flew over he head.  Fires burned for days. I can see how that might flavor your decision.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
My father was a photographer in the Navy and stationed at Peal Harbor after the attack. Here is a picture that he took. I have all of his old negatives and have this photo on my living room wall. I've taken crops of the surfers in this picture to Hawaii and tried to identify who these guys are, I'd like to give their family a copy of this. In the enlarged photo you can see that these are hollow boards built with pegs.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 08:51:33 AM »
my dad was a b-17 in england in the army airfare  he was one of the photographers on the Original movie of the Memphis Bell he has been gone for many years now
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:37:30 AM »
Good stuff.... stories and pictures!

Tom, it doesn't enlarge..... but awesome picture. Crystal clear, not all faded like the old prints.
Please share some more of these gems. Each one is untold history of surfing.... you need to display these somewhere. Like here ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »
You see that pic with all those old wood board riders?  Every one looks like a Greek God.   You gotta be strong just to carry those heavy boards.  And you gotta be strong to drop almost straight down with a dive bomber like SUPcheat's Dad.  With anti aircraft fire all around you, they would unload one down the smokestack of an enemy ship and then pull out without the aide of the hydraulics they have in today's planes.  Even those relic P-51s you see at airshows are retroed with power steering.  Yeah they were strong and beyond brave.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:45:05 AM »
My Dad was in Naval Intelligence on Bull Halsey's staff in WWII. He tried to surf on one of the 100 pound boards and told me he was gonna stick to skiing.

We lived on Oahu for a while in the early fifties. My first wave was at Nanikuli beach on an inflatable inner tube with the head of a duck!

My parents told me that the beach boys took a shine to the little haole and let me hang with them. Imprinted by beach boys  - splains many things including why I always feel at home in Hawaii..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »
My Dad was in Naval Intelligence on Bull Halsey's staff in WWII. He tried to surf on one of the 100 pound boards and told me he was gonna stick to skiing.

We lived on Oahu for a while in the early fifties. My first wave was at Nanikuli beach on an inflatable inner tube with the head of a duck!

My parents told me that the beach boys took a shine to the little haole and let me hang with them. Imprinted by beach boys  - splains many things including why I always feel at home in Hawaii..

Man it seems like we're part of one big Navy family.  Cousins of sorts, finally meeting on a forum for stand up paddlers.  So wild

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:20:51 PM »
Now lets not forget the ladies, sure they may not look like the Greek gods required to hump the boards down to the water, but I'll bet they had more than enough help to achieve that little "teaser favor, big boy" to get them there.
1938 Waikiki, Hanowoowoo, (as my parents would often remind me of how I used to say it, with me there, in front of their friends,,,,,,,,, thanks mom and dad,,,,,,,,,, geeeesh).
It takes a quiver to do that.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
So great to see these old pics. Looking at the length of the boards compared to the height of the people, I guess they also had 12-6's, 14's and 16's back then too..  ;D. Seriously though, there are some very familiar lines of a few of these boards with some of those we paddle now...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:20:32 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
I just now noticed that the background in the pics of the men, and the ladies, is the same.
Maybe both of the pics were taken on the same day.
The pic of the ladies was taken in 1938 according to National Geographic, so I suspect that the pic of Duke and his buddies may be older than the 1945 mag that it was from.

Also the second board from the right in the men's pic, looks like it is the same board that's off to the left in the ladies pic.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:41:01 AM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 09:54:43 AM »
Duke needs a swizzle stick.  Kinda like handing out m-16's at the OK corral.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal