Author Topic: SIC Maui Fish 8'8" ...anybody?  (Read 14272 times)

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
SIC Maui Fish 8'8" ...anybody?
« on: September 13, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »
Hi to all

I've been looking at this 8'8" x 29.75" board on my local shop for awhile. It's clean lines and thin rails are quite attractive, as well as it's fish shape and wide tail. Plus, it's a SIC.

Very curious about it's volume, stated at 110 L. Since it's rocker is so flat and it carries width into it's tail, with a very subtle V back there, one might think it could be more stable at rest (waiting for the wave) than it's volume suggests. And i can be wrong too.  :-\

I understand, as per SIC's catalog for 2015, that a bigger fish, at 9'5 and some 145 L, is in the plan.

Has anybody surfed this 8'8" or the 9'5" for instance ?

Thanks and be well

Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Maui Fish 8'8" ...anybody?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:15:04 AM »
What do you weigh? That looks like plenty of board for anyone up to about 200. The stability will depend on you, but those wide tail boards tend to be fine once you get your sea legs. They bounce around a little more, but as long as you're loose that's not much problem.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
What do you weigh? That looks like plenty of board for anyone up to about 200. The stability will depend on you, but those wide tail boards tend to be fine once you get your sea legs. They bounce around a little more, but as long as you're loose that's not much problem.

Hovering around 180 lbs now, wet weight, with a desire to go a bit shorter than 9' (currently at 9'6" x 30").

The volume on this fish suggests as you say, it should float a 200 lb paddler. Even though my weight is ok for this 110L volume, my balance is very particular, since i have bad feet, reminiscent of my stupid triathlon days  >:( and i need a bit extra stability to wait around for sets. Once on the wave, i'm in bliss on the shorter shapes, even though the waiting around on lower volume shapes is a pain.

It's a theme worth posting on a new thread, how much volume/width/stability for waiting around that doesn't become a literal drag when on the wave.  ::)

The search continues...
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 02:24:11 PM »
Bad feet here too - not the most agile guy either. I've found my perfect volume on a SIMSUP to be 30% more than my bare-butt weight in kg. E.g. My 230 lbs = 104.5 kg x 1.3 = 136L.  If course the shape of the board is a big factor (it's the L41 SIMSUP ST).

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »
Given the round nose, flat rocker, wide tail, at 8 8 x 29.75, I would be pretty comfortable on that board at 205lbs.  Looks like a fun, and fast fish.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:06:22 AM »
I have been waiting to hear about any experience on this board or see a video of someone riding one. I saw the smaller one in person and it looked pretty good.   It has some nice lines.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
Saw them at the Sup Camp.  Looked very interesting but I didn't get a chance to take one out. The 9 and a half foot model would be more suited for me.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:24:29 PM »
This is from my earlier post,

[The SIC Fish really got me interested. 9' x 29 x 4.5  140L with a really wide thicker fish tail and quads. Little V in the tail, low rocker throughout with a flip in the nose. It was super light, like all the SIC boards. I think the straighter Simmond's profile to the wide fish gave it surprisingly good glide and great stability in the chop. I actually caught a few mushers with, where I had no success on the 11' Nalu.
Maybe a new fish in my future.]

I'm 6'7 -240# today. It floated me better than 9'4 x 31 x 4.5, and felt more stable. I can't tell you how it surfs because there wasn't any :(
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »
Well, trigger pulled.  ::)

Review on it's way, but, a bit of background first. Intermediate, 2/week surfing, lucky if i get 3 sessions. Windward coastline, chop frequent. I want a sub-8' board, wide and parallel outlined, around 30" wide, with the least volume necessary to float me and allow for a doable upgrade with emphasis in surfing, rather than stability at rest.
Since the Sic Fish was unavailable for testing, and i found no reviews on the web,  I set myself to do some testing on several 8 footers, paddling in rough to glass and surfing 1-5' mushers.
Since I'm upgrading and downsizing from a 9'6 x 30" 165 liter all rounder, i wanted to be sure i could handle the drop in volume and size, and hopefully, extrapolate some of the feedback of the smaller boards...-to 8'8" and 111 liters on the Sic Fish (no demo available) :-\ Way to go !

I demo'ed the following:

1. Simsup S1 8' x 30" 130 liters
2. Custom Simsup S3 8' x 31" 134 liters
3. Blair 8'2" x 31" x 4 5/8" ?L
4. Blair 8'6" x 31.5" x 4 5/8" ?L

#1 was a rental, thanks to the friendly and trusty crew at Velauno. #2-#4 were shaped custom for a 200 lb+ friend who had the good will of lending them to me. Thanks Ruddy.

Findings:

At rest and paddling
*I'm only 180 lb, and all boards tested floated me well at rest. Actually, too well, feeling slightly corky on the 8'6 Blair, which i feel was the floatiest of the bunch with a slightly domed deck.-So, 130 or so liters became the new minimum flotation i expected to be comfortable waiting around for waves....but, the Sic Fish is only 111...would it be stable enough to not wear me out waiting for waves?!
*In chop, i found that the board i expected to be the least floaty-The 8'2" Blair-, was the one with the "quietest" response to water motion. I had already read this, that the less floaty board would not feel the nervous corkiness of the more voluminous cousins. Actually, i liked the way the water washed on the deck and, when i dipped a rail and my ankles went under, i slowly pressed on the opposite rail and regained balance....well, good sign, since i expected to be sinking more on the Sic Fish.
*The shorter boards gave me a hard time on the fore-aft balance department, specially when setting up for the wave. The 8'6"Blair was the easiest in this respect....another good sign for the 8'8" Sic Fish.
*As expected, domed decks on Blairs rocked more than flatter ones on Simsups....and the Fish looks very flat on it's deck.

On surfing
*Both Simsups catch 1-3' waves easy, and the S3 turns slightly better than the S1, probably due to the changes in outline and S rails, even though it's wider and floatier.....i felt the thinner S rails worked as stated, ....and this fact is another good sign for the Sic Fish, which has some very thin rails, which i expect to bring it into surfing bliss.
*On waves 3-5', the rounder outline of the Blairs and their wide rounded pintails, even though both thrusters,(i prefer quads) were more fun to carve around due to a bit more control than the Simsups, where i felt overspeeding....expected, and a welcome sign regarding the swallow tail on the Sic Fish.

Now, the Sic Fish

*This thing is light !  No means to weight it now...
*The rocker is quite flat, and continuous with just a slight kick at the nose and swallowtails
*Single concave entry to double concave - all very slight
*Mellow spine from the first +/-12", that grows into a shallow v at the fins
*Wide tail with very parallel outline
*Nice set of stock quads, with a 50/50 smaller set on the back
*Rails thinner than expected
*Essentially flat deck

On the water finally ! Windless day, water moving a lot on a rising tide, waves at up to 5' mushers with some steeper sections.

Upon climbing on my knees on the rock and rolling shore, where waves refract from the reef and rebound from the rocky features,   i was expecting to be paddling like that until i felt balanced. But, i felt a sudden urge to stand up. I leaped up, bent knees, and paddled away. 2 strokes on one side, a bit of yaw, 2 strokes on the other, on course. Yes, i sunk a bit, searched for the sweet spot, sliding/lifting my feet,  but never felt the dreaded nervous tippiness of floatier boards, since the fish slowly rocks and offers plenty of time to get to the sweet spot (a bit ahead of the handle).
It feels strange at first, been on a 111 liter board and paddling so easily. I tested a slightly staggered stance, either foot forward. It offered a reassuring stance for paddling to the break and waiting for waves.
After a while, i was able to stand still, reach for my hydration pack hose, paddle out of the water. I was able to stand with locked legs to test my stability. Legs started to relax. Is this good, for the first outing? You bet.
Did i fall off? Sure i did. But not very often. I spent an hour paddling behind the break, on all directions, getting a feel for the board.

Now, the true test. Surfing.

First wave, missed, i started to paddle too far back. Second wave, board shot off from my feet, leaving me behind. I was stiff legged, eyes fixed on the nose, which i felt would pearl, because of the low rocker and volume. Unfounded fears. The nose lifts quickly when the wave picks one up. No need for late drops either, from then on. 
All waves i surfed this first time were 3-5' faces. The fish calls one feet back to the stomper pad, immediately, and it comes alive. From there, leaning on the front foot, i could carve bent knee bottom turns onto the rolling faces, shift the weight back to the rear leg and cut back down, flowingly. It even responded well to a very hard input on the back foot, producing a very quick, almost pivoty, turn. When a section closed in front of me, i raced past it, front foot on the gas, and got back to the face with ease. I even tried a floater, but, again, the board turned ahead of me, and i fell on the foam.
I surfed the waves until they were no more. At this point, i slid forward a bit, and the board planed comfortably out on the deeper water in front of the reef.
Returning to the lineup for more, the knee high whitewater was no issue, since the fish won't kick up and down like floatier/longer boards do, but is stable enough to handle the fore and aft roll well.

First test conclusions

*The 111 liter number tells only that. That it floats that mass. It is more stable than expected for it's volume.
*Paddles easy, won't yaw much, and the sweet spot is easy to find.
*The behavior of this board on the wave is like a mix of the Simmons' wide tailed planing ability and the pintail's control on the turns.
*The thin rails bite beautifully and no issues with any chop on the wave face. The swallowtail gives the feeling of control of the thrusters with the bliss of the quads.
*The lightness is a welcome trait on take off and turning, while keeping a lot of control due to the shape, low volume and thin rails.
*For my intermediate surfing ability, i feel this design will allow me to surf small mushers up to head high steeper faces.
*I made the mistake of not applying rail tape for my first outing. The paint chipped off on my take off side on a paddle blade hit (my bad), on one small spot. Other paddle hits were uneventful. Very light board, thin paint. -only negative thing i found with the board-

I'm glad i traded volume for surf-ability.  A bit of extra effort waiting around for the wave really pays off when one sinks that rail, it carves like a dream. I also feel confident of going into somewhat larger waves (1-2' OH)on this board, due to it's control on the face.
Looking forward to a long road of surf sessions, the fish is hungry !

Pictures coming soon...
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
I've been watching the SIC crew surf these boards for some time with great envy. I'd ask Mark to make one for a 240 pound guy, but I'm pretty sure he'd tell me to lose 40 pounds, which is the plan anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 10:01:14 AM »
I've been watching the SIC crew surf these boards for some time with great envy. I'd ask Mark to make one for a 240 pound guy, but I'm pretty sure he'd tell me to lose 40 pounds, which is the plan anyway.

I've seen a 145 liter 9'5 fish on the 2015 SIC Catalogue. Let's hope it comes out soon !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »
Some pictures !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
Great review  and pics Balance! Thanks!

Board looks sweet. I think the 8'8" would be a little too small so it's nice to hear that they are coming out with a 9'5". Wish it was a 9' or 9'2" but oh well.

Recon series too nice as well...decisions, decisions...

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 09:02:10 AM »
Good review and write up. Thank you very much for that.

I don't know how I missed this followup.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you you riding so I can get an idea of the waves.  Love the SIC boards, but like you, finding info on these fish is next to impossible. But hey, its a SIC.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:08 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, where are you you riding so I can get an idea of the waves.  Love the SIC boards, but like you, finding info on these fish is next to impossible. But hey, its a SIC.

Hi ninja tuna ! My pleasure to get info out on this excellent shape.

I paddle surf one to two times a week, i'm an intermediate surfer, not aggro, rather smooth styled. I surf mostly waist to head high mushy waves in a reef break, and stay away from hollow, sucked up waves. Actually i surf 2 reefs, one close to shore and the other one a mile offshore. Lefts and rights on both places, both reefs have a deep area where the wave dies at the end, plus channels to get back in, although sometimes one faces a dose of whitewater.

On the one closer to shore, waves are smaller and the ride is shorter if one doesn't connect the outer wave with the inner ones (they break and reform).This inner reef challenges balance a lot, since, once finished with the ride, if the day is not glassy, the paddle out can be very bumpy due to rebound on the shoreline features.

The outer reef breaks larger and the wave is a single, looong ride.  The paddle back out is usually smooth, but long. If the wind picks up and i don't take action, i'm in for a long stroll back to shore-a mile- in side on conditions, where the stability of this board is welcome.

The fish is excellent to surf on in this conditions and sites, since i'm able to extract the wave's energy to the last drop and suits my style very well. I like long rides, no doubt. I can surf down the line or up and down as i want.

Hope to have been of help, be well
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal