Author Topic: Best beginner sup to learn to carve on  (Read 11643 times)

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best beginner sup to learn to carve on
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »
RBull,

Like you, I surf the Florida coast (I'm in Miami).

I began on a 10.6 C4 Classic and while others could carve that board I couldn't at the time. Like many others here, I finally learned to turn when I got a Fanatic Allwave. Surfing primarily Florida wind chop mush, I got a 9.6. That board really helped me break through. I'm now on a 9.1 Naish Hokua and loving it.

I still have the Allwave. Let me know if you're heading down this way and you can take it out.

Jorge
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »
The video of the hotties skateboarding alone makes this thread solid gold. Jorge thanks for the offer.
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »
I took a while off from skating my Bombora. Got back on it today. Did a 6 mile barefoot skate with my big stick down the pathway along the canal. Man, it's just so much fun!!! And yes, as the young hotties suggest, it does teach you how to get your carve on! Best thing is you don't have to be a "skater" to get the hang of it.

Heck, on one of our sister forums they have an entire category dedicated to Street SUP!!!

To give you an idea how stable and potentially fun the Bombora is:

I'm in no way as talented as that cat. I just like cruising and carving barefoot. Sometimes I stand both feet forward and glide like on a sup but mostly carve.

Today, I decided I want something more compact (Bombora is a beast at 59" long) in my quiver so I just purchased the Shaka Surf model (46" fish):

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:22:25 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
An appropriately-sized right off the rack Fanatic Allwave with its user-friendly forgiving shape, flat deck and fuller rails will get you where you want to be.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »
Holy cow "free", that was some just incredible cross-stepping skating....thanks for posting that!!

Hard to imagine all of the falls, and stumbles that he must have gone through to get that good, but sure glad that he did....so fun to watch. 
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »
Yeah...but can he surf!?!

Geeze that guy is incredible.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
ya, the guy is unreal!

and if you prefer a skate reduction there is always the carver mini simmons  ;D ;D ;D

http://carverskateboards.myshopify.com/collections/surfskate/products/27-5-mini-sims       
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »
I took a while off from skating my Bombora. Got back on it today. Did a 6 mile barefoot skate with my big stick down the pathway along the canal. Man, it's just so much fun!!! And yes, as the young hotties suggest, it does teach you how to get your carve on! Best thing is you don't have to be a "skater" to get the hang of it.

Free, I had to turn that video off... it was making me sick thinking how mangled that guy's feet were going to get if he wiped out at that speed doing one of those tricks! :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal