Author Topic: Trying my hand at board repair. Advice needed please!!  (Read 1492 times)

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Trying my hand at board repair. Advice needed please!!
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
So we had a local "no rules" SUP race and to make a long story short, I capsized a lady who subsequently put both her knees through her board. She was almost in tears, and her husband had smoke coming out his ears. What was I to do? I bought her a new board. It seemed like the honorable thing to do at the time. Now I'm stuck with a damaged Hobie 12'6" E series that I want to repair myself. Should I cut away the damaged material and re-glass or try to salvage the existing material and repair around it? What should I use to fill the void underneath the glass? Pour foam? I want to do a good repair for experience sake even though I have none personally. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trying my hand at board repair. Advice needed please!!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
You can capsize me in any race you want, anytime  8)

Seriously though, that's a very respectable thing to do. I'm sure you didn't intentionally capsize her but were you at fault? I've done plenty of races where there's a lot of contact and rubbing at the start (not including the BOP or similar larger races) and for the most part, I think people realize it's part of competitive racing.

For that kind of damage, I would cut out those areas and add foam to bring it back to a level that's flush with the rest of the board. I'm sure her knees compressed a good portion of foam under those dings.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trying my hand at board repair. Advice needed please!!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
Yes kayadogg I was at fault. Thanks for the advice!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal