Author Topic: Comparisons: Boardworks/PSH Hull Paddler 12'6 and Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6  (Read 3800 times)

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The PSH Hull Paddler 12'6 and Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6 have received a ton of glowing reviews on this forum over the past several years. I'm looking to acquire one and could use some help with some of the finer distinctions between the two boards. First, let's make sure we're discussing the Boardworks Hull Paddler (which, as I understand it, is slightly wider and thicker than the Australian and Hawaiian PSH Hull Paddler model). The Boardworks HP fits in my price range and is available within a few hours drive.

My questions for the forum, in no particular order:

• What does the chined hull/rails on the HP offer, if anything, over the flatter/broader bottom of the CC?
  • The CC is EPS foam core with multiple laminations of glass and painted topcoat. The HP uses Boardworks's EVS construction with a PVC wrap. Are there decided benefits to either, in terms of durability, repairability, overall aesthetic quality, ability to add or remove deck pads or other traction aides, aftermarket installation of leash or tie down plugs? Anything you can think of ...
  • In a very tight race between these model, it might be the little things that push one ahead: How would previous owners rate the handgrip on each board? How about the fin set-up? HP 2+1 or Quad vs Single on CC. Quality of stock fin(s)? Quality of extras that come standard with the board?
  • Any particularly good or bad customer service experiences with either board manufacturer?
  • Last but not least, any performance points to share? I've probably gleaned most of these from past forum discussions, and I know that both boards meet my criteria and are more capable than I am today. But I still love to hear true fans of a board extoll its virtues.

For context, I'm 6'2, 190 lbs. I want to paddle flat water, ocean swells, windy conditions, small mushy Atlantic surf, and everything and anything in between. I've decided that the surfing glide of a long sleek design like this appeals greatly to me. That those same attributes make for a good (although not ultimate) paddling board in flat water is a major bonus.

I've also researched the Starboard Cruiser, Jimmy Lewis Mission, Coreban Alpha Race and SIC Bullet, but have eliminated most of these boards for one reason or another (cost not an insignificant factor). I've also looked at slightly smaller boards, like the PSH Gun 12', the SUPSports One World Surfari 11'11 and the SIC Recon 11'11. I think I like the 12'6 length better as well as the slightly narrower width. All that said, if I should seriously reconsider any of the above, don't hesitate to tell me so. And if I've missed something, tell me that, too.

Thanks, all.

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bumping this along ...

... and will also add a few questions about the availability of the PSH Hull Paddler. I can find only two online retailers that seem to stock the Boardworks version of the board -- Phase One and Pro Sup Shop. Does anyone have experience with purchasing boards through either retailer? Do you know of other sources for locating the Hull Paddler? Lastly, I've found a handful of classifieds for SUP on Distressed Mullet, here on Stand Up Zone, Craigslist, of course, but are there others you would recommend?

Again, thanks for your replies.

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
I don't believe Boardworks is making the 12'6 Hull Paddler any more, so that's probably why you're not finding many new.

Never paddled one in the surf, but it was a great all-around board for the Gorge. Good in flatwater, great fun for downwinders & surfing behind the stern wheeler.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
14 Ron House boards recently became available fro Riviera on sale. We ordered a few. Great all around cruiser. Check your local shop.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unless you can demo both and see for yourself, I'm advising an immediate trip to your local shop for the PSH at a great price, and tomorrow you're in the water :)

Case closed. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Eric, I have a PSH 12'6 hull paddler. Let me see if I can answer some of your questions. I ahve no experience with the Ron House to compare it to though.

1. I don't know why they put the chines on here. I have heard a number of different reasons and theories for the chines, but don't know what Blane's ideas were for it.  They are pretty big chines. Once the board is up on plane, say on a wave, it rides on the flatter narrower surface which I would think makes in faster. just my opinion.

2. Yeah could remove the deck and put a new one on if you wanted.  So far the quality on my boardworks seems ok.  It has a leash plug so don't need an aftermarket one. Tie downs, i will never put on here.

3. I like the 5 fin options. Have ridden it as a single and now as a quad.  Stock fins are just that, nothing special and I would never expect anything different.

4. Have not used.

5. I like what this board can do. It is actually surprising fast in flatwater and has good glide.  It catches waves way before they break.  If I ever break this this thing, I will find a shaper that copy it and make me a new one.  I am your weight but a few inches shorter. I just wrote a little thing about the Florida hurricane swell on the thread about longer sups in medium california swell.

Here it is so you dont have to go find it:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those waves don't apply to me either being in Florida.  We do have some way outside sandbars that I have yet to explore on a big swell.

But, I do have a PSH 12'6" hull paddler.  With the hurricane swell on the way, everyone including me was chomping at the bit to get out. Wednesday morning, the swell did not exactly show up on time.  It was still small so it was good choice to take out the big board to take advantage of the glide.  The situation was similar to what Lopez described, except way smaller.  The waves would jack up on the outside sandbar, not break, and continue to just roll until they got to the beach break. I could ride these unbreaking waves for 60 to 70 to 80 yards until they got to the shore break.  They were only about chest high but it was fun.  Had to make do with what I had, and it was fun.  Just pull out before it pitched up for the shore pound.   I finally had one break that was a hair overhead so I was able to do some turns on that wave.  By that time I had been out there for 3 hours. Went home, ate lunch, and grabbed the shorter board as the swell increased in the afternoon.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What sold me on this board was watching the videos on the Blane( I think) riding it in the swells in Hawaii.  I like to see how boards are ridden to see if I like the board style.  There are quite a few guys down under that love these to on the seabreeze forum.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
buy the PSH
the reviews are great and they stopped making it. not sure why. i'd love to have one. but already picked up a infinity 14'

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
Today at 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
Today at 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal