Author Topic: Adding a sail to fanatic fly11'  (Read 4678 times)

Crabbydude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Adding a sail to fanatic fly11'
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »
I want to add sail to 11' Fantic Fly. I have never windsurfed. I live in panama city, Florida. I'm about 6' and 200 lbs. what size sail should I be looking at?- if I want to just sail versus playing in the surf?  Is there a standard size hole for the masts? As you see i know nothing about sails. How does the fly sail compares to the Allwave?

Crabbydude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a sail to fanatic fly11'
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »
Forgot to ask if you can use the same sail on fanatic fly and a dedicated windsurf board. I want to learn on what I have and then if I get the bug I  can buy another board

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 08:42:07 AM »
Crabby,

just saw this today sorry for the late reply
The Fanatic Fly sails great in all conditions and at your size I would get a WindSUP rig 5.8 They work great durable and cheap. The Fly goes upwind better than the AW and it goes in lighter wind than the AW. The AW works better in waves and turns better with a bit better stability But both sail great just depends on what you plan on doing Wind SUPing

Feel free to email or PM me more specific questions for a faster response

Aloha
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

flathead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 04:34:10 AM »
Hello I have the 11"6" I sail it a lot - lately more than sup because of wind. I use a Naish 2 cam slalom - works great. In Singapore the wind is light so I use an 8.3 - the board handles this no problems. Happy to send some shots.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:32:34 AM »
I agree with the 5.8 as a good size.   As you get into really big sails,  the fun factor tends to go down.  If you had an 8.5,  you would need a 5 or 6 meter as a second sail.    You can handle a reasonable wind range with a 5.8,   maybe 10-25mph for your weight. 

enjoy it,  JP

flathead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »
Sail size depends on wind strength :-) I have plenty of fun with a 8.3 or I sit on the beach. You need to use a more upright fin with your SUP than the standard issue. I windsurfed for 20 years and left the sport over 10 years ago because I mistakenly thought there were limits to what I would reduce myself to sail. Glad to say I am back - the last windsurfer I sailed was a high tech custom epoxy race board now it is a SUP and love it. A true enthusiast would sail a door if that is all he had. :-)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »
5.8 sail should be fine, although windsurfing is tricky and non-intuitive, so you'll save time if you get someone who knows how to give you a lesson the first time.

I recently put a windsurfing mast track on my Fanatic Falcon and posted some pictures of the way I did it online.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2014/12/using-14-fanatic-falcon-race-sup-for.html

Mast track should go a couple inches in front of the carry handle.

Ingredients you need are: 1) Router, 2) Chinook mast track which you can order online, 3) Some high density foam, 4) West systems epoxy, 4) Fiberglass.

If you're having trouble staying upwind, you might want to put center fin in the bottom of the board, a little behind the carry handle. Process for installing the finbox is the same as for installing the mast track.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal