Author Topic: Puakea Paddles  (Read 4871 times)

Wal Footrot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Puakea Paddles
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
Hi all

Not sure if we'll see any of these Down Under but saw this clip and am interested if anyone has seen one of these first hand yet. From what I understand he is quiet well known in the outrigger world.

http://distressedmullet.com/2014/09/09/johnny-puakea-talks-new-puakea-designs-catch-22-paddle/

Cheers
Wal

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Puakea Paddles
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
I can't imagine that thing working well, at least not for me or for racing. You have the most power during your stroke a foot or two in front of where you stand to about to where you're standing. The traditional 10 or 11 degree angles are straight during that phase. I think you'd already push yourself down into the water and therefore slowing yourself down using this paddle. Of course this also depends on your stroke and what you're using it for. The paddle also seems very flat so flutter might be an issue. Just my opinion from watching the video.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »
I actually made a wooden paddle with a similar angle and blade....I hated it. Was happy when I broke it. Mine certainly wasn't as refined and heavier being wood but I couldn't stand how it paddled, fluttered like crazy. But then I'm also someone that likes dihedrals, just can't do the flat blade.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:28:22 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Wal Footrot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:44:11 PM »
Cheers guys, thanks for your insights. I'm by no means an expert but think there is still some way to go on paddle design when I look at how the sup paddles compare with ocean skis and kayaks. I think the new QB V drive was a design that is starting to consider holding water in the catch.

If anyone gets to have a go with one of the PP's then I'll be interested to see what they think.

Cheers
Wal

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 04:38:23 AM »
He was at our clinic recently and is clearly knowledgeable about technique.  Super nice guy.  Did not get a chance to try his paddle. 

Distressed Mullet

• Rincon Status
  • For the people who paddle
    • View Profile
    • Distressed Mullet
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 04:44:02 PM »
I've been using it for about 3 weeks now and the first thing I can absolutely say is it's clean. Clean entry and exit. If you make a good catch, it holds perfectly. It's crazy light and the shaft is narrow with a slight oval. The handle is somewhere between a palm and a T, not padded and is very comfortable.
In respects to the offset or angle of the blade, it does call for a concerted ice pick motion. I might be imagining it, but it's just so dang clean in the entry. And the lack of a scoop seems to shed water on the exit.
I've really enjoyed it and it didn't take any time to get used to at all. It felt good from the first moment. I don't have any stats on stroke length, distance or shaft rigidity. I can only go by feel to this point. I've been trying to just "go out and paddle" lately. Trying to have fun. If I can get some data, I'll share it, but so far, so good.
After reading Larry Cain's article on paddling behind your feet, I'm all out of sorts on what constitutes a good paddle and why. My times are comparable. My shoulders don't hurt. Well constructed. It's worth a try.
Nothing heals like water time

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:49:16 PM »
http://www.puakeapaddles.com

*spits out coffee* 600$! And they removed the 'bend' feature and the 'scoop' feature. More features not less! Doesn't matter if they are good or bad. This is 'Merikuh.

Suggestions: Built in mp3 player / water resistant speaker / gps

- or -

2 for 1

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »
There's nothing wrong with his theory in my opinion. Lane did the same thing with first KeNalu blades, just not quite so extreme. It's why we were always talking about "early catch". The throat of a KeNalu has a typical bend, but the blade is curved so the angle is reduced quickly, and at the bottom third of the blade it's less than three degrees. The KeNalu blade is scooped, and if you pull it back as far as he's doing it shovels water. So he's right about that too. 

I still don't see much purpose in pulling that far, I don't think your body can put much oomph into the blade when it's behind your feet, the angle isn't optimal and there's a substantial downward force vector that pulls the rail and tail down. That force vector is worse with a straight blade. But if you're going to pull a straight blade back that far, then it better not have scoop.

Boyum pulls his paddle way back, especially when he's going for a bump. I can always tell where he is by the rooster tail. Oddly, it seems even worse since he switched to a Konihi.

It's all kind of moot at $600 for a relatively unknown paddle. I think you can enter the market at the same price as premium paddles if quality and design are as high, but it's pretty challenging to achieve any volume priced higher.

edit**  Doh, I'm a little slow this evening, must have been that bumpy Maliko run. Bounced my neurons a bit too much. It's owned by SUP ATx, which means they probably don't plan to sell many, it's their top of the line, titled paddle, intended to give value to the rest of the line.

Smart marketers, which leads me to wonder about Mr. Footrot. Oh, nevermind, I looked at your posts Wal, you are either legit or a brilliant and deeply devious long term planner.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:42:52 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 07:55:58 AM »
Although a 1/2 year old now, interesting perspective on paddle stroke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWSIwtglw2g

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal