Author Topic: NH/ME border downwindah  (Read 3928 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
NH/ME border downwindah
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
The wind was only 10-15 knots today, but out of the WNW it was lined up perfectly for a run down the Piscataqua. I launched at Cedar Point on the north end of Little Bay about 30 minutes before high tide, and cruised down to Goat Island. Here's the route and data from my GPS app. The wind wasn't enough to build any real bumps, but it made for easy paddling at a decent pace anyway. Other than the Marine Patrol down by the 95 bridge and a couple small motor boats here and there, I had the river to myself most of the way.

Anybody in the area know of some other local downwind routes? I'd love to do some more, especially in the open ocean if there are any good runs nearby. My dream is to hitch a ride to the Isles of Shoals someday and downwind back in a howling east wind.  ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: NH/ME border downwindah
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »
Sounds like fun but def more wind needed....needs bumps and glides to be a true DW'er.

I'm actually going out to the Isle of Shoals on a company outing...shit maybe this weekend....I better check... ::). I was thinking about bringing boards with us and paddling back. What is it 4 or 5 miles to the harbor?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:51:08 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
Stoney there is a big brothers/sisters fundraiser paddle for this weekend from Rye, NH to Isles of Shoals and back again..only 11 miles, kids play.  Was considering doing it but couldn't gather the energy to fundraiser again after CCBC...I exhausted all my possible donors.

Definitely bring a board if you are heading there..nice paddling around the Isles of Shoals

Board stiff you should paddle York River..it's a 14 mile round trip from rt 103 bridge inland until the river really  narrows and back. Go in with the tide about 1 hr before high tide and return with outgoing tide...right now with the WNW winds you ll have wind at your back on the return trip.  It's a beautiful, relaxing paddle and great fun.  Not as exhilarating as Piscatiqua but still a great paddle and no boat traffic
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »
Stoneaxe,  I would have loved more wind,  but with the day off from work and no waves, I had to make some lemonade out of the lemons I was served up.  :)

Carib,  I'll have to try that route sometime.  I may head up the river with my wife tomorrow,  but she's new to paddling and I have to ride my 8'10 Allwave when we go together,  so I probably won't go to far.

How'd you hear about that Shoals paddle? Id love to find out about more local events like that.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:15:44 AM »
I saw something about the Shoals paddle on the website seacoastonline.com. I believe this is the 2nd year this fundraiser has taken place. 
I contacted the organizer about trying the Cape Cod Bay Challenge in August but he couldn't make it.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 06:24:00 AM »
I hear you board...no criticism....I'd have been out there too...a good tailwind is always nice...definitely better than a headwind... :). Only reason I mentioned it is that I've seen a bunch of folks...most here on the east coast say DW'er when it really isn't...at least not by the standard  that folks elsewhere have in mind. Maybe we need a SUP dictionary or maybe I should just shut up.... :-X. Actually 15 knots starts to get you there....no fetch to build bumps?

Going up the York sounds awesome...something that Sue would love to do. The company thing is the 13th. We may decide to stay over and head up to do that as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:25:41 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:39 AM »
Bob

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »
Stoney if you stick around let me know.  I have to be in NY the 16th but around otherwise…
the late afternoon high tides look good for York River that week
there are some other fun places around Kittery to paddle regardless of the tides...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
Looks like the wind may pick up again this afternoon. Inland and tight along the NH coast where it's sheltered by Cape Ann is still looking like "nice tailwind" conditions at best.  ;) With 20+ knot south winds forecast at the Isle of Shoals, however, I'm thinking maybe I can get into light downwinder territory a bit north of there, if I launch in Kittery and get far enough offshore before turning north toward Cape Neddick.

Carib, since this is your neck of the woods... any thoughts on this route? I'm thinking Seapoint Beach to the north end of Long Sands might be a nice run.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »
The York and the Pisc runs are two of my favorite flat water paddles! Just recently got a 14' Naish Glide that hardly has any miles on it at all (my first "semi" displacement board). It is a big speed improvement over my 11' fanatic fly and maybe even more stable.

Still am trying to dial in the whole DW thing, getting better every trip....such an easy going board would not mind an excuse to get it out if you guys had a trip planned.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »
The York and the Pisc runs are two of my favorite flat water paddles! Just recently got a 14' Naish Glide that hardly has any miles on it at all (my first "semi" displacement board). It is a big speed improvement over my 11' fanatic fly and maybe even more stable.

Still am trying to dial in the whole DW thing, getting better every trip....such an easy going board would not mind an excuse to get it out if you guys had a trip planned.

Hey Ake, congrats on picking up the Glide. Those sound like fun boards!

The parts of the York river that I've been on were quite nice, and I'd love to get out and paddle farther up, especially if it could be timed with the tide to go downstream both ways. I haven't enjoyed the Piscataqua all that much, mainly because all the power plants, tankers, scrap yards, and diesel fumes from idling tugs along the river detract from the peacefulness that I enjoy when paddling.

I'm just learning to downwind and trying to figure out when and where to go too. Today I attempted Seapoint Beach to Long Sands. The wind was great, blowing straight north at a steady 15-20 knots. Unfortunately the 3-4 ft chop coming in from the east made it tough to stay on my feet and away from the rocks, so I had to paddle most of it on me knees.  :-[ I got one great glide that I surfed from the tail all the way into the beach at Long Sands, though, so at least it ended on a high note!  :)

Hopefully we'll get some better conditions this fall. It'd be great to get out with some local Zoners and do some downwinding around here.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:11:32 PM »
Hey board stiff I have done the paddle Seapoint to Long Sands and back but in lighter winds.  It's a nice paddle and as a down winder would be really fun but I am sure it would be fairly choppy.  You would have to stay far enough away from the coast otherwise you will get hit from chop both heading in and rebounding back off the cliffs and rocky coastline.

What I would recommend as a test would be launching at Chauncey Creek paddling into Kittery, around Fort Foster and  past Seapoint Beach ( down winder) into Braveboat harbor and back through Chauncey Creek to where you put in 8 miles in all. Of course you'd have to plan this around high tide.  It's a great paddle , very scenic and offers many different conditions...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »
Hey Carib, that sounds like a nice paddle, especially on a calm day or if it's well protected from the wind. Can you really pass all the way from Chauncy Creek to Brave Boat Harbor at high tide? The google map image must have been taken at low tide, because it looks nearly impassible.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
BS, hour belore and hour after still PLENTY of water to circle all of Gerrish Island. 
Brave Boat harbor is absolutely beautiful.  You can even paddle all the way up to rt 103. It's a winding paddle through the marshes back to Chauncey Creek lots of wild life in and out of the water.
The entire trip takes about 2 -3 hrs depending on your speed and how often you stop.  You can park about 1/4 mile past Chauncey Creek lobster pier..at Cutts Island easy launch via a stone ramp .  Or of you want you can launch and finish at Seapoint Beach .  There are about 10 parking spots for no residents just up the hill from the beach . After OCT 30 anyone can park at the beach
Just drop off your gear and then park...

You have to also do York River. That's another really fun paddle and again plenty of water before during and after high tide.  Paddle inland with incoming tide and then turn around 7 miles later and head back with outgoing or slack tide. 14 miles never felt easier

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal