Author Topic: Looking for calm water in northern NJ, extreme south of NYS (not NYC!) to SUP  (Read 3329 times)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Weather permitting, I'm meeting with a friend this weekend to SUP together for the first time. We're trying to find "calm" spots that won't require too much driving for either of us or at least no more than two hours for one of us. He's located in Northern NJ, while I'm in Central, NJ. Any suggestions?

“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

canoe sailor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Round Valley, Merrill Creek or Splitrock all good spots!

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
What Canoe Sailor said. RV is one of my favorite.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Split Rock is a great fresh water paddle but a long ride from the shore area.  I didn't know that SUP was allowed at Round Valley Res.  Does anyone know if paddling is also allowed at neighboring Spruce Run Res?

Maybe unfairly close to you SeaMe, but the Navesink River would get my nod. 

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Thanks guys!  :)

Round Valley, Merrill Creek or Splitrock all good spots!

All three of these look great! I thought reservoirs were off-limits to SUPs in NJ but if these three allow it then maybe there's hope for Manasquan.

What Canoe Sailor said. RV is one of my favorite.

If the weather holds and he likes the look of it, I think Round Valley will be Saturday's choice.

Split Rock is a great fresh water paddle but a long ride from the shore area.  I didn't know that SUP was allowed at Round Valley Res.  Does anyone know if paddling is also allowed at neighboring Spruce Run Res?

Maybe unfairly close to you SeaMe, but the Navesink River would get my nod. 

I've grown comfortable SUP'ing on the Navesink, but between the current, tides, jellyfish, boat traffic and yahoos on jet-skis I don't know if it meets my friend's request for "calm" waters. I think he has less experience than I do, so I'd rather take a longer drive to make sure he's comfortable. It's after Labor Day, so a ride west shouldn't be bad, and its a more equitable division of travel.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I think it's just manasquan that is backward. I've paddled a SUP at RV since 2010, never an issue. Just make sure you have a PFD as the rangers will likely be super concerned about that. RV is super deep, warms very slowly and usually claims the life of an unsuspecting boater or two each year. But its very clear - if you have a snorkeling mask, bring it!

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I think it's just manasquan that is backward. I've paddled a SUP at RV since 2010, never an issue. Just make sure you have a PFD as the rangers will likely be super concerned about that. RV is super deep, warms very slowly and usually claims the life of an unsuspecting boater or two each year. But its very clear - if you have a snorkeling mask, bring it!

Sadly, it's *not* just Manasquan. Swimming River Reservoir does not allow anyone or anything on the water, though homeowners with land abutting the reservoir appear to be grandfathered in. Nearby, Marlu Lake in Thompson Park specifically bans SUPS though it allows canoes and kayaks. Same thing at Turkey Swamp Park. They claim there are a lot of submerged logs, but I did a couple of laps Labor Day weekend (in a kayak), and the main part of the lake (it's not really a swamp) are clear. I also saw someone standing on a kayak;I don't see why that is allowed but SUP isn't.
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

canoe sailor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
I have never had a problem at either RV or SR (had PFD on at both locales). SR less likely to run into any ranger.....I have never seen one there. MC on my list but have not been on it yet....anyone care to chime in re MC? Nockamixon should be good as well. Had no hassle there while sailing, the canoe of course!

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Round Valley is beautiful. My photo doesn't do it justice but it's a superb spot for SUP as evidenced by the more than two dozen paddlers we saw out on the water. Thanks for clueing me in.  :)
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

tkdshine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm going to second what canoe sailor has said.

Nockamixon State Park is an excellent place to go SUPing, and LL Bean often has SUP lessons there, which is where I took both of mine. There are also a lot of sailboats out because it does tend to get windy there as well as windsurfers, canoes and kayaks. It's a great place to start and has calm water and friendly people. Be sure to bring your lifejacket, whistle, permit, and anything else you might need.

I suggest launching from the Tohickon launch site and not the marina. Too crowded.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for calm water in northern NJ, extreme south of NYS (not NYC!) to SUP
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
I'll keep Nockamixon in mind, but I believe the next trip will be to Splitrock. Or back to Round Valley—I really loved it there.
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

canoe sailor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for calm water in northern NJ, extreme south of NYS (not NYC!) to SUP
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 02:27:18 PM »
In using these acronyms, I realize that I may be confusing some folks.
Split Rock vs Spruce Run.

Concerning Spruce Run (which is within 20 minutes of Round Valley), it's pleasant but does not have the same natural beauty or water quality when compared to Round Valley.

Has anyone paddled Waywayanda Lake recently?
I am curious if it's worth a little road trip up there.

Best, David

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »
Does anyone know if paddling is also allowed at neighboring Spruce Run Res?

Paddling is allowed, but fyi, as of Sept. 27, 2014 the water level in the reservoir is so low that launching from one or both of the small parking areas off Van Syckle is impossible—there's either very little, or no water—and launching from the boat ramp area in the park proper requires trudging through ankle deep, flip-flop stealing, thick mud/muck.
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
Thanks for the update Seame

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM