Author Topic: All around sup dilemma  (Read 4971 times)

fabs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
All around sup dilemma
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
Hi everyone

I am e newbie (have been paddle surfing 4/5 times), I am75kgs  (165lbs) and I can paddle alright and be all confident on the board, or so I was told ;)

I now want to buy my first sup. Thing is, as I am a fast learner, I want to skip the entry level and buy something a bit more challenging, more maneuverable, not too long etc etc. Clearly it has to be within reason and this is why I am asking your opinion.

I want an all around sup as I live in an all around place ;) with small waves 1 hour drive away and bigger waves a bit further down the coast. So I came up with this two models:

1 - http://www.kingofwatersports.com/product?productid=bic-sup-s14-9-6-acetec&refpage=sup-boards
2 - http://www.kingofwatersports.com/product?productid=naish-15-mana-gs-sup-9-5&productvarid=naish-15-mana-gs-sup-9-5-makani-vario&refpage=sup-boards

The bic does not offer enought support maybe? Again I am 75kgs (165lbs) and 1,85m tall
The naish on the other hand should be perfect, shouldn't it? The only thing is that I like more the bic's price for some reason ;)
Any more models you might want to recommend on that price range?

I'm all ears guys

Cheers

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: All around sup dilemma
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »
Better people than me to advise, but even as a beginner, at your weight, the 8'10" Naish Mana would be more in keeping with your body size and desire to progress.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »
I would get a Nalu 10 6.

fabs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
so you would definitely avoid the bic?

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
welcome fabs!
It would help to know what board and size that you did well on. That would tell us more about what you are using as a baseline.

The Bic is a cheap board & will not fetch much money when you are ready to upgrade... on the positive side, they are very durable and sufficient, particularly if you want to keep it around as an all-around family/friend board forever.

You can probably get a much better deal on last years Mana or Nalu... same board... different graphics. The Nalu is a very nice board to surf and a much better flat-water board than the Mana.

If you want to maximize performance by going shorter, but have a very stable, easy to paddle board, you should also consider the Fanatic Allwave in HRS... you could jump right on a 9'1 and feel at home.
http://www.fanatic.com/product/allwave/#series-1|productDetailsTabs2

Inch for inch, Allwaves are the most stable board out there, that still surfs and paddle very well. They are also less expensive than the Naish line, and considerably more durable.... and they maintain great resale value.

I own, or have owned, all of the boards I discussed except the BIC.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
Bic makes a pretty good lineup of boards and they are super sturdy. Not the highest performance perhaps, but they work very well and give good value for the money.

Given your weight and your interest in getting something that pushes you, I'd go short. Probably 9' maximum.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

fabs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »
@supthecreek, it was this thing: http://www.star-board-sup.com/2014/products/boards/astro--9-0-x30-converse.

I rented it for 4 Sundays in a row for an overall expense of over 100euros!!!! :(

So you recommend the fanatic 9'1''. Cool!

@PonoBill do you think the  bic will hold me alright? After all it's just 130L. My main concern is to jump on it to find out I cannot tour at all as it keeps sinking. Waves are not guaranteed here in England, hence I must make sure that on those flat weekends my board wlll still serve a purpose.

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »
@supthecreek, it was this thing: http://www.star-board-sup.com/2014/products/boards/astro--9-0-x30-converse.

I rented it for 4 Sundays in a row for an overall expense of over 100euros!!!! :(

So you recommend the fanatic 9'1''. Cool!

@PonoBill do you think the  bic will hold me alright? After all it's just 130L. My main concern is to jump on it to find out I cannot tour at all as it keeps sinking. Waves are not guaranteed here in England, hence I must make sure that on those flat weekends my board wlll still serve a purpose.

I'm 85kg and just learning how to surf (SUS), bought the Starboard hero, at 149L its more than enough. I think an AllWave 8'10 or Widepoint 8'10 would be just about right for you.

fabs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
ok shall I get the 8'10'' or the 9'1'' then? At this point it's up to you guys ;)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »
Don't worry fabs, there is more than enough people here on the Zone to tell you how to spend your money. You might even pick out THE perfect board the very first time. But I bet dollars to doughnuts that after a season under your belt, something even more perfect will catch your eye.
Welcome to the club.

(plus one on Creek's pick, the 9"1' Allwave. Easier to sell later on than the Bic.)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
Inch for inch, Allwaves are the most stable board out there, that still surfs and paddle very well.

ummm...me thinks maybe you haven't been on a Hammer...;-)

I haven't been on a better all around, all waters SUP in the 10 years that I have been doing it...

It pulls ahead in that category over the "Allwave" and ALL others in the big corporate Euro windsurf/SUP genre...including secondary stability, and overall maneuverability and performance by a country mile...and, you can get one made right here in the US...custom or stock...carbon or epoxy...even beautiful wood veneers...whatever you want...we can make it...built right, light, tight, and bright...California, USA...if'n that's how you ride and roll...;-)

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

Now you can order a custom right from our snazzy new website...

http://supsports.com/shop/stand-up-paddle-boards/custom-california-series/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:10:05 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »
10'6'' Nalu..

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
Wow Warren....  your right... what was I thinking?

Just one question:

What does it cost to ship a Hammer to England?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »
Wow Warren....  your right... what was I thinking?

Just one question:

What does it cost to ship a Hammer to England?

I actually know that answer...but, if you have to ask...you prolly can't afford it...;-)
10 Downing St. was no problemo...really not that bad for boutique quality...Palau...New Zealand...Oman...etc...etc...
We have a Brazilian picking up a locally made board on the way to Fiji in a week...

Should I tell everyone at Surf Expo tomorrow that they should all just go home...Fanatics have already won?

"Inch for inch, Allwaves are the most stable board out there, that still surfs and paddle very well."

"Fanatic AW 9'10...but as a pure wave ridding board there is NOTHING LOOSER and faster down the line...."

Really?...I like to think a little more open minded...because, it sounds to me like an "absolute" unqualified statement...just saying...
OTW, keep drinking the Kool Aid outta the same trough...and, sounding the buzzer that it's over...nobody has personally surfed, and/or seen how many boards that are out there...

Besides...they get folded in half just like everything else...;-)

Alrighty then everyone...nothing more to see here...time to pack it up and go back to the drawing board...;-)

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
The price may be right on that Bic, but that is a very small board & not ideal for flatwater paddling.. even for a relative lightweight such as yourself.  Also, are you new to surfing?  If so, another reason to go with a slightly more forgiving board. 

You're getting sound advice here.  A Naish Nalu would be a better option.  If the Bic price is more your speed, consider the 10'6.   
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM