Author Topic: Cool areticle and video on Heublot recreation of Antikythera mechanism  (Read 4857 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Cool areticle and video on Heublot recreation of Antikythera mechanism
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »
I read a great article on the Antikythera in (i think) National Geographic last year. Pretty freaking amazing that level of tech existed so far back. Where would we be today if so much technology hadn't been lost in the dark ages.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:38:37 AM »
I had no idea about this.  Absolutely amazing.  Could it be a hoax?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:12:05 AM »
This seems very odd.  Not the conceptual design but the capability to produce micro gears at that time.  Has this been explained?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
Never been completely expained, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. There are all kinds of knowledge, research and technology in both the greek and chinese cultures that would be challenging to reproduce today. The gearing was not just small and precise, it was also non-linear, which is something no one does today. Requires an indexing system of substantial complexity--or incredible handwork. But it's within the bounds of feasible technology. Watchmakers made extremely complex masterworks well before there was anything like an electric motor. Sailing ships carried chronometers accurate enough to determine latitude with good precision. Handwork is only imprecise when there's no one passing on generations of practice and no one apprenticing for half their life to learn it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:52:58 AM »
But are there examples of metalwork of this scope and precision form that time?  It would seem that there was no such handwork or fabrication process to have been passed down....and then it just disappeared.  Nothing before it, nothing after it.  A high precision blip.  Am I missing something?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
Yup, it's true for all kinds of ancient tech. Its well known that Chinese were drilling through rock to extreme depths to recover salt water. They had a major industry boiling the water for salt. No trace remains. It's well known that they had ships many times larger than any European ship, crossing the oceans. No trace remains. Anything metal got melted down when civilization collapsed. Most books got burned or used for toilet paper. The Christian zealots wiped out a lot--angels made the stars move. Anything that said otherwise was heresy. They didn't just burn the books. They burned the libraries and the librarians.

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
Wow - really interesting. Thanks for posting this Pbill. Loved the Lego version.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
This is just another reason/example of why I always had a hard time accepting the book "Chariot of the Gods" by Carl Sagan.
He never really got into the destruction and/or rewriting of history.
Unfortunately it still happens today, the radical muslims (Taliban and the like) are very good at trying to wipe out history, and the monuments left behind.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:44 PM »
Carl Sagan would have been the first person to reject "Chariots of the Gods", which was written by Erich Von Däniken. Sagan believed very much in the possibility of aliens and even led some of the search for alien signals, but he had nothing to do with the "Chariots of the Gods" book or that idea of ancient astronauts. He was a very fact-based scientist, brilliant in that regard.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »
Like Bill said...after the fall of the Roman empire a lot was lost. Burning libraries and librarians was just the start.....devices that could predict planetary motion and proved that the earth was not the center of God's created universe would likely be some of the 1st things to go.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
Okay. my head just spun almost completely around reading "Chariot of the Gods" by Carl Sagan. As Ichabod implied, if Carl were going to rise from the dead and nominate a book for burning (not that he would do either) it would be that one.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »
He'd probably reject (though I too doubt he'd burn it) it billions & billions of times... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ex__M-OwSA
Bob

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
There was some great debate on this exact topic a couple months ago on the surfermag forum.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »
I hang my head in shame as soon as I found that old book. :P
But my take remains the same with that old book. :P :P :-\ :o
It was sitting right next to my copy of "Cosmos".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:52:12 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal