Author Topic: Snake River  (Read 3070 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Snake River
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:32:33 AM »
Biggest fish I have ever thought about catching. Absolutely amazing. Massive power. Still have goose bumps. I just had to piece something together to throw up here tho I will make something that will end up being anticlimatic in the near future.
After 45 minutes, I didn't land it. I probably needed another 20-45 minutes. From what I can tell it is at least 6 foot long.
Although this is what I set out after I learned that I need to check my knots better before throwing a line out and if going after big fish, to really be ready to catch a big fish.
No, the whole thing was not from my board but I kind of know what I am doing and what to expect now, so......next time.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:45:16 AM by lucabrasi »

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Snake River
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »
Very nice. Those sturgeon are ugly and beautiful  all in one package.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:16:19 AM »
Can I comment here even if my name has nothing to do with fish, or with sleeping with them?

Nice video.  I've seen those jump in the Willamette--our version of shark sightings.  One was almost the size of yours, and they get even bigger.  Weird and prehistoric looking.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »
probably a little more than six feet since the keepers used to be three to six. Quite a few sturgeon over six feet, not so many under. I think the new regulation is 43 to 54 inches.

I've never caught one of REALLY the big ones, but my old friend Larry Askew caught lots. He went avidly after the monsters in the ten feet and up range. They generally do one big shot out of the water when they're hooked, shooting up just like a Polaris missile.  I saw a hilarious video his ex-girlfriend shot of him trying to release a twelve foot sturgeon which swept it's tail over the gunnel and caught him in the shins. He had divots in his shins for years--maybe still does. Haven't seen him in ages, I think he sells real estate in Bend now.

He was flopping around in the boat screaming and his girlfriend was still filming. And giggling. Ex-girlfriend.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:21:34 AM »
Thanks.
No keepers in Idaho. You can fish for them but they can not be removed from the water. I have no clue the average size here. Most of the info I found on fishing for them was from Oregon and Washington for sure. He may have been bigger than 6 for sure. I know there are plenty of bigger ones out there. I never saw him straight out next to my board to really gauge it against something, he was always wiggling when near it and could see.
This one did 3-4 aerials. Yes, Polaris missile is accurate. I thought he was tuckered out then the last one was a 4-6 feet from my board with me on it and I had about that much line out also. I think he slacked the line then and it looped around the rod tip because he went down and my drag quit working after being flawless till then. Rod went strait down as I was holding it under water then it was gone. Looked like the knot pulled through at the end of the line.
Absolutely learned, among other things, if fishing for something BIG on a board, or kayak for that matter, be prepared for a long ride and be aware of the water around you for quite a ways as you have no control where you going if you hook into something. I know it seems obvious but not sure how much I had really thought that through before hand.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal