Author Topic: The new Jav in a bit more wind.  (Read 3959 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The new Jav in a bit more wind.
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »
Dawn yesterday on the first day of Spring.. [down under]..

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: The new Jav in a bit more wind.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
Darn it looks like you guys were having a blast...
You sure are akin to a Naish's ambassador, hope you will get a big discount on the 2016 models...
Can I ask you a quick question on the JP Australia boards. Here I do feel very special with mine because you sure don't see any.
In one video one of your friend was riding I think a Sportster All Water (likely the 14x30" 300l). This make it a huge board for a 167 lbs guy.
I am very happy with my new Sportster Flat Water 14x28 so mouch so that I am thinking that if the design of the All Water is as good it must be a terrific board.
It look slike you guys have a whole quivers of various board. Have you heard any comments about the JP Race All Water 14x26.5" 268l. It sounds like the perfect board except for the width that is a little bit too daring from my abilities. Not that would have the funds to buy one now but just gathering info...

Cheers,
Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:37:22 PM »
Great video, DJ! When you run into the wave in front of you, it looks like there's a thin layer of water flowing over the top of the nose, but the nose remains elevated rather than plowing into or plunging under the wave like many other boards do once they start to boof or pearl. Is that what you're seeing?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:04:57 PM »
Darn it looks like you guys were having a blast...
You sure are akin to a Naish's ambassador, hope you will get a big discount on the 2016 models...
Can I ask you a quick question on the JP Australia boards. Here I do feel very special with mine because you sure don't see any.
In one video one of your friend was riding I think a Sportster All Water (likely the 14x30" 300l). This make it a huge board for a 167 lbs guy.
I am very happy with my new Sportster Flat Water 14x28 so mouch so that I am thinking that if the design of the All Water is as good it must be a terrific board.
It look slike you guys have a whole quivers of various board. Have you heard any comments about the JP Race All Water 14x26.5" 268l. It sounds like the perfect board except for the width that is a little bit too daring from my abilities. Not that would have the funds to buy one now but just gathering info...

Cheers,
Luc

I'll try and demo one of the new JP boards soon and put my camera mount on it.. They look nice.. but they do look very thin in the tail.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »
Great video, DJ! When you run into the wave in front of you, it looks like there's a thin layer of water flowing over the top of the nose, but the nose remains elevated rather than plowing into or plunging under the wave like many other boards do once they start to boof or pearl. Is that what you're seeing?

Yes.. it looks like that.. I love the no-boof and no-sprinkler nose shape..  :) .. The increased volume in the nose raises it quicker when pearling.. and the wider tail lets you move back without feeling like it's bogging down forcing you to quickly move forward again.. You can really feel the concaves working and it feels like you can keep it planing with quick strokes of the paddle even though there is very little slope in the water.. It feels just as stable as the 29" wide Glide.. but the 1" less in the width is noticeable because it has that low drag feel of a narrower board.. I deliberately stayed forward to see what happens when the nose pokes under and it behaves itself beautifully.. I soon learned that moving back lifts the nose to avoid pearling just like the 2014 Glide.. Even though the nose pushes through the water without feeling like it's slowing at all there was a couple of moments when the nose suddenly broke free and those sharp rails at the nose caused an instant release causing the board to suddenly accelerate making it feel like a rug was pulled out from under me causing me to fall back [almost falling off the back].. btw I never fell off on both DW days.. Changes in directions is easier and you can feel the v underneath at the rear working.. I can't wait to try it in bigger conditions.. We had good wind yesterday to start with but once we got to where the waves start to get good (Elwood) the wind started to drop to the point it felt like nothing towards the end.. I'm really liking this new board..

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
another awesome video! thanks DJ. I hope to try my first DW next weekend!
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
I'll try and demo one of the new JP boards soon and put my camera mount on it.. They look nice.. but they do look very thin in the tail.

That is true. My 14x28 seems to catch bumps reasonably well (I am a newbie so with somebody better it would likely been even more) and I do not have any problem moving back. That said I am 6' 167 lbs so not exactly heavy weight...
I am really looking forward to this video. These boards look so nice but nice does not always mean great.

Cheers,

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:46:25 AM »
I noticed the board looks tame when the nose takes a dip and was going to ask you if you were doing it on purpose.

Also noticed this board has got you all fired up and paddling like a teenager.

So is it nice and carvy in the turns?

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 06:40:46 AM »
Ahh,  your vid isn't on vimeo anymore...
Re-editing?
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 06:42:58 AM »
Sorry Vimeo pulled the vid.. because of a so called music copywrite thing.. [like youtube] and yet for years it was never an issue..

I'm guessing it's really because they have set up their own music shop so you can buy music from them to use.. The buggers..  >:(

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 06:48:42 AM »
just whistle next time ;)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 07:40:58 AM »
Sorry Vimeo pulled the vid.. because of a so called music copywrite thing.. [like youtube] and yet for years it was never an issue..

I'm guessing it's really because they have set up their own music shop so you can buy music from them to use.. The buggers..  >:(

"Buggers" is too kind a word for them. >:(

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard