Author Topic: HELP: Shorter and Wider or Longer and Narrower for All-Around Surf SUP  (Read 4673 times)

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello,

I'm ready to purchase my first real SUP. Because of hometown roots and a slew of boards in the 200 - 225 liter range, I've identified the SUPSports.com One World series as my desired board. They offer three boards in the series, and different construction options. They are:

11'1 x 30" x 4.5" (2+1) at 200L
11'1 x 32" x 4.5" (2+1) at 215L
11'11 x 31" x 4.5 (2+1) at 225L

Construction is wood veneer top, wood veneer top and bottom, or carbon. Full description at:
http://blog.surfingsports.com/2012/12/one-world-series-sups.html.

I'm 6'2 and 195 lbs. 80% of paddling will be flat water lakes and rivers. The other 20% will be coastal trekking and surf. I want to enjoy the 80% a good bit (at least more than I do now on my 1985 12'6 x 26" @ 260L Mistral Superlight windsurfer). But I want to love the 20% even more. I'm not looking for extreme surfing of any sort. Just classic longboard style, with nice drop-knee bottom turns and a run to the nose and back. And I want to catch small mushy Atlantic waves early and often. And if I can cruise downwind in the Chesapeake for a good number of miles, all the better.

My question for the forum is whether the 11'1 x 32" or the 11'11 x 31" better suits my needs. Everywhere I read, I see surfers saying shorter with less volume. But 11 feet is still huge, and the volume is only 10 liters less. We're not getting into the snappy 8-9 foot range here. How much paddling glide would be lost in the shorter and wider board compared to how much surf ability gained? Right now, I'm inclined to go with the big one, but I wan't to make sure I don't feel like I've outgrown it skill-wise at any point in the future.

Many thanks for your thoughts. If you have other boards in mind that would be worth a look, please make a recommendation.
Eric Owsley
Lexington, VA

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: HELP: Shorter and Wider or Longer and Narrower for All-Around Surf SUP
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:42:37 PM »
longer and more narrow generally paddles faster.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »

+1. If you're used to balancing on 26" (albeit in a different stance), I can't imagine you need the added stability of 32" over 31".
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »
They look like nice boards..  I'd suggest you buy a used, branded, all-around of about 11' for your first board. Beat it up a bit for a couple of months or a season, then park it (or off it) when you find a 9-something for the surf.  Maybe VAB is different, but if I was 3-4hrs from my beach - I'd probably stick to flat water given the paucity of longboard waves.  If you're already doing drop-knee turns and going to the nose on that Mistral then totally ignore what I say. (rather, give me some advice...)  Check what Creek is currently riding, he our eastcoast mentor. 

..or move to Australia.  I am when/if I get the 'big diagnosis'.  Ole Chit ...did you see that drone footage!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
this one is easy--drop a PM to wardog and ask him what he'd recommend. He'll give you the straight scoop. Normally I'd agree with Wetstuff, but SUPsports boards are as well made and durable as any other branded board and IMO more progressive. There's a lot to be said about getting a board you love right away. It's like marrying the right woman--lots less expensive and a lot more fun in the long run.

But I'd say if you're going long (and you probably are) get as narrows as you can handle. Not only will it be faster, it will also be more versatile. You're 50 pounds lighter than me and my goto board for general dinking around, including lightweight surfing, is a 12'2" X 26".
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:59:38 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »
Yep. Narrow longer paddles faster. For a walk on the wild side the short and narrow would surf better! 11'1" short board... 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:58:30 PM »

I often wonder how true this is on planing style hulls. If it does improve glide and speed,I'd love to have a carbon,14x31 Safari with lots attachment points for ICW touring and island hopping.
 I know the longer=more glide and speed on displacement hulls but to what lenghts does it improve on planing hulls??

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
Aloha Eric,
I've included some more recent pics of our One World...

All three of our One Worlds are gonna ride waves fantastically...from fun wind swell rollers barely breaking...to heaving Nor'easter mackers...
Length does equal glide under most conditions...however, you alone have to ascertain your comfort/white knuckle tolerance zone...;-)
Personally, I'm out for a workout...here's the straight scoop...if you want to go "fast" on a board, it sure as hell ain't gonna be on a standup...I don't care what nose and length it has...;-)

A total kook going 8-10mph on a sailboard is gonna blow the doors off of any serious SUP racer...ummm...again, standup isn't a "fast" watersport...but, it sure as hell is FUN!!!

That said...you can read our testimonials of our 11'1" going faster than some big Euro windsurf company's longer offerings...so all things are not equal...for example, if you are hobbled at the knees trying to balance in afternoon wind chop...you ain't ever gonna be "fast"...if you are getting bucked off...you ain't ever gonna be "fast"...personally, I like to cruise along the coast and groove with music on...our waterproof iPods are killer...if I see a wave...I'm a gonna gettit...;-) in fact, haven't had an ocean sesh yet in almost 10 years where I haven't caught at least one wave...

There's a guy that posts here named "Weedfin" that has our 11'11" out on Cape Cod...sounds like a similar scenario as you...'cept he might be a bit heavier...

Dig back to July on our testimonials to see his pics and hear his words...

http://surfingsports.com/customer_testimonials.asp

We can also build our One World as a custom...and, have...from Canada (they love this board up there) to California to Colorado to Florida...

Not to confuse the matter...but, if you are leaning shorter and wider for whatever reason...and, there are many...our shorter, and wider, Hammer defies the odds...SUPer efficient hydrodynamics on the bottom...

http://surfingsports.com/hammer.asp

At the end of the day...follow your heart...80% cruising says glide...our Surfari will exceed your expectations...and, it has PROVEN surfing pedigree...;-)

We'd love to build you a longer One World if that's what you want...quite frankly, we found our 11'1" was/is way faster...and, surfed way better...than the Bark/Surftech 14' Expedition...and, others in this genre...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »
If you're already doing drop-knee turns and going to the nose on that Mistral then totally ignore what I say. (rather, give me some advice...)  Check what Creek is currently riding, he our eastcoast mentor. 

..or move to Australia.  I am when/if I get the 'big diagnosis'.  Ole Chit ...did you see that drone footage!

Jim

No, no, no .... I remember deep bottom turns and nose rides for my teens on longboards in California surf. The windsurfer I am only using on flat water now. But I have been working on paddling up to planing speed and running up to the nose and back before it slows down. Fun and plenty challenging on the narrow and rounded bottom of the Mistral. I'll be ready for surf soon, but it will be on a legit SUP.

Thanks all for the advice so far. Keep it coming.

Eric
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:56:54 PM by ericjayowsley »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »
Aloha Eric,
If it's really the surfer inside trying to get out...especially, a noseriding fetish...you gotta look at our Hammer...incredible cruiser and surfing board...phenomenal nose rider...won't hold you back for fitness and distance paddling, either...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series

http://surfingsports.com/hammer.asp

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »
I've been introduced to the sport of stand-up paddling riding a 10'4 first-generation NRS inflatable and the '85 Mistral windsurfer. Neither presents an optimal flat-water experience. And yet, I've had such a great time, I'm ready to pony up for more.

Not having experienced a really efficient flat-water board, I struggle to imagine the added appreciation I would get from something totally optimized for glide. As others have said, speed isn't the only goal. It's a great workout on any board, the view is amazing at 3 or 3.5 mph, and I don't necessarily need my routine paddle to be any shorter. But the surf does seem to be radically improved by a board designed to do it.

I have surfed the NRS and it was fun, but not good by any measure of performance. Difficult to keep the nose from getting sucked under at speed and it wouldn't much hold a line on the face of the wave. And its flex, I felt, gave just enough resistance to the first few strokes that I missed more waves than I feel like I should have.

I'm intrigued by the larger Hammer versions. Does the Mahalo have a place in this discussion?

Again, thanks for all your replies. I'm not necessarily closer to a decision, but I've had a few ideas confirmed and a few new ideas (to me) raised.

Eric

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Aloha Eric,
The Mahalo is an awesome board...slightly scaled down One World...we are shipping one right now to a guy in Boston...
You will end up working a bit more...but, some folks don't mind...plenty enough glide to do 10 milers...and, in fact, the Mahalo is the biggest board in their quiver...

You can check it out now on our new website...four different widths...10’3″ Mahalo Series (quad + 1) :: 10’3″ X 29.5″ X 4.3″ ~ 165 liters :: 10’3″ X 31″ X 4.5″ ~ 175 liters :: 10’3″ X 33″ X 4.5″ ~ 185 liters...and, the new Mahalo Shaka 10' x 30" @ 160 liters is a quiver killer...;-)

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/mahalo-series/

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Glider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
Eric,

I have owned both the 11'11" and the 11'1" x 30" in carbon.....rode the big one a lot for 6 months and then moved on to the 11'1" ....the bigger one is so fun ....lots of glide and surfs really well for its size.....just a little bit of a handful in the beachbreak area I live in when it gets overhead....  the 11'1" is definitely a quiver killer and will handle anything you have the stones to paddle out in......it is a classic semi-gun shape...surfs really smooth and predictable...draws long lines and noserides pretty good for its shape...not long tip rides but you can perch on the front third really easily......I have done a lot of coastal touring on the 11'1" also up to 8 - 10 miles at a time.....it feels a little small for me for that but it is definitely doable and I am in the little sumo class at a solid 205 lbs.....at your size I would go with the 11'1" if you really want to surf anything of consequence..... if you are just gliding distance go for the 11'11" .... carbon is really the way to go on the bigger boards.... so much easier to carry them around...especially getting in and out of the surf...  anyway they are both great boards and you can't go wrong with either
Hobie 14' Elite - 12'6" Kings Downwinder - 11' Foote Noserider - 10'4" King's Crossover - 9'4"" Kings Laser

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 05:40:43 AM »
Glider, great review of the performance characteristics of the two boards. The 11'1 x 32" is looking like the sweet-spot for me, for so many practical reasons. That said, I'm going to have to figure out how to test the Hammer. The surf appeal of that board is just too much to overlook. If it paddles the flats as well or better than what I've got now, I just might be sold. If not, the One World it is. And the carbon does sound worth the upgrade from all I've read. But the Australian pine is so pretty .... So many choices.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal