Author Topic: Advice: best locking straps for two boards in bags?  (Read 8011 times)

lucyland

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • East Bay SUP
    • Email
Advice: best locking straps for two boards in bags?
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
Hello Zoners,

I'm hoping to get advice from ya'll for my post-SUP Taxi board transport and looking for a solution for locking our boards to the CRV.

The SUP Taxi was a challenge and I sold it. I broke out the 13' Thule locking straps this week and after the second use they are destined to be returned back to REI (what a PITA to use!). That leaves Kanulock and Yakima locking straps to try.

Any preferences or other options? I have regular straps, too.

Thanks!
Twitter:
@EastBaySUP
@carouselno3

desfluranesup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advice: best locking straps for two boards in bags?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
Kanulocks here, absolutely no regrets.
Naish 9'5" Mana
Naish Javelin 14" GX 28"
Naish Nalu 11'
Ke Nalu Maliko
Ke Nalu Konihi 95

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:43:37 PM »
We sell both Kanu Locks and SteelCore locking straps...in addition to other board mount options...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
+1 Kanulocks.

The 13ft (yellow) straps should be enough to go around two boards.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
I've had a pair of 15' steelcores for 6 years. One is still fine, the other the steelcore came completely out of a year ago but it still functions as a real good regular strap. I also bought a pair of knockoffs that Lowes was selling for awhile. Cheap, they worked but weren't as good and two have already completely broken. I'm going to get another pair of steelcores though the kanulocks look good too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
I've had the SPT's (Kanulocks) for about 3years without any issues. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:14:19 PM by Bean »

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 09:33:46 PM »
The Yakima locking straps work fine,  and I use them whenever I'm traveling a long distance on the highway or may need to leave my board unattended.  For quick trips to nearby water,  I prefer to use some strong cord tied with a truckers hitch. It's plenty secure and a lot quicker to tie down.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 02:34:14 AM »
Kanulocks. Get the long ones for two boards in bags IMO! I own the shorties...
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

desfluranesup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 02:52:14 AM »
Yellow Kanulocks, easily does two boards.
Naish 9'5" Mana
Naish Javelin 14" GX 28"
Naish Nalu 11'
Ke Nalu Maliko
Ke Nalu Konihi 95

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 04:12:53 AM »
Aha! Green is 8 feet...
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 05:21:03 AM »
+1 on Kanulocks... using them for well over a year with thousands of miles on them and no issues yet. 

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 07:36:06 AM »
I have the yellow Kanulocks, and last year at the BOP, steelcore had a booth and was showing how easy it was to cut the Kanulocks vs. the steelcore.  Steelcore was much harder to cut with either snips or bolt cutters.  I suspect that if someone is carrying those kind of tools with them, they are going to get your board one way or another.
Locking straps are just nice to have for peace of mind when I leave the boards unattended.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

lucyland

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • East Bay SUP
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 07:33:10 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, all. Of course I saw the 2012 thread right after posting and looked up the Lowe's locks but would almost rather pay extra for coating.

Question about Kanulocks: does anyone know if is the strap as awkward to tighten as the Thule?

Another question: are there better rack pads than the Thule Aero? I'm not sure I like those, either.
Twitter:
@EastBaySUP
@carouselno3

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, all. Of course I saw the 2012 thread right after posting and looked up the Lowe's locks but would almost rather pay extra for coating.

Question about Kanulocks: does anyone know if is the strap as awkward to tighten as the Thule?

Another question: are there better rack pads than the Thule Aero? I'm not sure I like those, either.

A note about the Kanulocks: they have the colored "boots", which I believe are either vinyl or silicone, but there are still large areas of exposed metal. Care is required when moving them about your vehicle unless you want a scratch…or worse. (I think Chinook gets cam protection right in that theirs are completely protected by a neoprene casing, but they don't offer locking straps to as far as I know.)

Whether Kanulocks are awkward or not is a personal feeling. I expect to climb all over my wagon like a monkey to get them locked, so they're par for the course as far as I'm concerned, but their keys are somewhat delicate . The locks are physically small, so the keys are correspondingly thin; put pressure on them when they're at an odd angle or not fully inserted and bye-bye working key. (Replacements are about $6 each and take several working days to arrive.)

Better rack pads are also dependent on personal taste. I like the plush cushioning of the Dakine pads I bought (not Aero) when I purchased my first board, but even though they were and remain in perfect condition after one season, I replaced them with Yakima SUP Crossbar Pads which have less padding but are longer and fit my Aero (elliptical shape) bars much better.

ETA: This may prove helpful— http://kanulock.com/size-guide/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:13:43 AM by SeaMe »
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal