Author Topic: SIMMONS shape in East Coast waves??  (Read 6588 times)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
SIMMONS shape in East Coast waves??
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:19:56 AM »
I know there has been a ton of SIMSUP threads here and I looked thru them but found little info specific to East Coast surfers. If I missed it please post link.

I have not seen anyone first hand ride a SIMMONS. Heck, most people are still on 10' barges up here. I have talked with a few guys about how they think a SIMMONS design would work for our waves with very mixed results leading to my confusion  :o and thus this thread.

Last night I googled SIMMONS videos and they were all styling on beautiful west coast waist-chest high rollers that went on for miles. Not shorter period close outs with wind often found at our beach breaks.

So, can those of you in the know offer some guidance on how they would or would not work in East Coast waves? Which models and shapes have worked or not worked well?? 

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SIMMONS shape in East Coast waves??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 03:22:05 PM »
Hello,
I love my Infinity Phoenix.  That being said, the Simmon's Style board is not for every wave. I find it's nearly the perfect board on a lower angle wave, or a spilling wave with less power, but they are not really the right board for steep, powerful waves.  I spend a lot of time surfing between Cape Hatteras and Maine.  The Simmon's shape is less useful in Hatteras, but very useful in Maine.  That being said, I use the Phoenix in Hatteras when the waves are mushy and less powerful, that just happens to be a smaller percentage of my surfing time down there.  I wouldn't be in Hatteras without the Phoenix even though it's doesn't get used as much. When I do use it, it's the only thing that would truly be fun.  In Maine, the Phoenix is the call much of the time, I'm surprised you don't see more of them around. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
The relatively flat rocker, parallel rails and wide tail is what gets the Simmons shape planing faster than most boards.  So, it's my go-to board in any near-closeout beach break where I need speed to get down the line.  The unintended benefit of the original Simmons design is of course the inherent stability.

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
NC Boy and surfer they work

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 06:52:44 PM »
Who are you seeing surf? I'd say over 50% are on sub 10'ers around here and most of those that aren't are doing it by choice...already gone small and on the way back up in many cases. There are more than a few Simmons shapes around too. I know Vec has sold 1/2 dozen v-chub SUPs since I got mine and there are a number of L41's and a few Phoenixes around. My board was the 1st Sim style SUP that Vec shaped. He does a surf board v-chub that is Simmons inspired and blew it up to a SUP for me. I also showed him the Phoenix and I had him work with Larry to get the fins boxes placed for the big moon twins like Chill runs...which I love by the way. The wave I described from Thursdays Cristobal session was on the Vec. I love it in our waves. I've been mixing up my board use recently but it's still the board I go to when I want to be  most comfortable on a wave.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
We've put quite a few Hammers, production and custom,  in East Coast waves/waters...Canada to Brazil...here's Glen out at Hilton Head, SC on our 8'5" production carbon Hammer...and, friend, Jess...

http://surfingsports.com/hammer.asp

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,19674.0.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:58:42 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »
Free:

Welcome to the Zone! 

There used to be a guy on here who had the same screenname as you.  But he retired and gave up SUP for hockey....     ;D ;D ;D

BTW, there's a guy on here named 'Creek -- just disregard whatever he says  ;).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:24:30 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
Free:

Welcome to the Zone! 

There used to be a guy on here who had the same screenname as you.  But he retired and gave up SUP for hockey....     ;D ;D ;D

BTW, there's a guy on here named 'Creek -- just disregard whatever he says  ;).

Spit coffee.... ;)

Funny to see pics of Glen getting some. Synchronicity? He used to be here often back in the day and sent out a bunch of his Atlantic Paddlesurfing t-shirts for the first CCBC....I have one on right now......  8)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 04:39:58 AM »
Ha ha!! Spookini!!! If Cam Neely and Laird Hamilton had a son....

Your right Stoney, there's plenty of sub 10's (I'm exaggerating our typical EC slow progress). I just haven't seen anyone in or out of the water with a sub 8' or 7' SIMMONS shape.

Great to see and hear that these shapes are around and highly useful!! :D

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:28:21 AM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 05:49:02 AM »
Free..... hey, just wanted to say that the spookini feller is quite a nice guy, a wicked fast racer and absolutely RIPs in the surf.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 05:50:11 AM »
annddd.... I REALLY like simmons SUPs

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 06:48:14 AM »
I've only seen a couple of Simmons shapes (other than my own L41) one time in the past few years N of Hampton, NH, it must have been Mr and Mrs Jarvis sup and their his and her Phoenixes..... :)

Mine is only 8'2" and really only gets out in clean waist high and below, at that length it's just too much work for me in wind and chop though when I'm feeling good and on my game it catches waves very early and really helps me get the most out of each one. It's fast yet you have a very "connected or glued" feel to the wave if that makes sense.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »
NC Boy and surfer they work

Chris, Are there any of those Boardworks Phoenix available (off the shelf) anywhere in NE? And how do they compare to the custom infinity models?

I'm looking for a larger one for the Winter/early Spring.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 06:44:11 AM »

Funny to see pics of Glen getting some. Synchronicity? He used to be here often back in the day and sent out a bunch of his Atlantic Paddlesurfing t-shirts for the first CCBC....I have one on right now......  8)

Here's an action GoPro pic of Glen piloting the 8'5" Hammer...driving off the tail on the integrated kicker in our pad...

BTW, you can check out the Hammer and other boards in our SUPsports ® line, in Orlando at Surf Expo...9/3 - 9/6...Booth #475...
Also,our new www.supsports.com website is on the launching pad and will have lots of updated pics, vids, and info...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
I don't agree with Jarvis, I like my L41 on big, steep, critical waves. I find it a lot of work in smaller mush, if only because I need more speed and more strokes to catch them. Rivermouth at Rincon on a good sized morning was perfect for it. I like to stand sideways to a steep wave and give one hard shove, which turns the board and gets it moving at the same time. If I have to switch sides I'm usually sunk. And I REALLY don't like it in chop.

My 9.0 Foote is not theoretically a Sims style board, but it sort of is. I think as soon as you get short and wide they start looking simsish. It has a pointy nose and a bit more rocker so it's fine in everything, but not as fast as the L41. The biggest problem I have with the L41 in big waves is not running too far ahead. Lose your concentration for a second and the shoulder is a long way back.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal