Author Topic: Laird getting worked at Malibu  (Read 12645 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Laird getting worked at Malibu
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »

What an epic swell for southern Calif and the Malibu region!  I took a sup surfing trip down there and captured some photos of Laird getting out of a dangerous area (situation) near the Malibu pier.  He caught an outside bomb and three proners - surfers cut him off.  He had to straighten out and take a very long set on the head then get dragged south to near the pier.  He just straddled the board while facing the foam head on and when he got into a safer spot, stood up and tried to paddle out through the plus surf and foam.  He got "Bucked off" on the third or fourth wave then was forced to prone paddle in a very dangerous south pulling rip current area.  This area had surf smashing into structure pilings just north of the pier.  I witnessed many surfers getting rescued from lifeguards in this area and it was dangerous.  There's more to the story and I'll save some advanced paddling maneuvers he performed at a later date.  This was a very long Hurricane set from the beginning to the end and it was relentless.  I got the feeling he finally just got pissed off and put his head down and with sheer determination, strength and Lairdness just prone paddled back out.  I learned a lot!  I had a great surf later in the day and will take with me great memories of huge surf in an area that I surfed when I was young.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Laird getting worked at Malibu
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
Oops, I forgot these two.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:24:44 PM »
Makes you feel a little better knowing he pays dues too.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
some how his getting worked seems like a lot less  than when I get worked.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:44:53 AM »
He's paid plenty of dues. I've seen him at the guard shack at Ho'okipa looking like Popeye with a wad of spinach in his mouth. Stuck the nose of one of is big 14' boards through his cheek. Many stitches and he was back at the beach a few hours later.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »
Not exactly what I meant > i was referring to his skills as a  waterman and suggesting that because he is so good that he seems to be less impacted by  getting worked much  like a dolphin is less impacted by surf than say a pelican.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »
Malibu is one of the worst places I have ever seen for people dropping in and it always has been.  You would think that Laird would get some respect, but I guess not.  Does anyone remember seeing video of Micky Dora shoving people who dropped in on him way back in the day? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
His sheer Lairdness... ;D ;D.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
Ok, I'll bring up the elephant. Did he or did he not hit a guy thereby breaking that guy's arm. Not saying he's a bad guy but I will say that I didn't hear of a surfboard breaking an arm that day. I heard he hooked the arm with his paddle.

This may be a malicious rumor but I'd like to know the story since we all defend SUP gear and how safe an experienced rider is in the line up. Don't attack me, and please don't remind me that it's a dangerous sport, I know all that but if a paddle broke an arm in the lineup I'd like to hear about it, for educational purposes if nothing else.

As to the drop ins. It's Malibu, that's what happens, people share waves, drop in, bump each other, it's the way that spot is. Not saying it's right or wrong but it is actually pretty fun when good guys do it together and it's been that way since the 60's. Don't go there. It's horrible. ;)

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »
I havent heard anything about that but I havent been all over the internet lately.  If that happened then whoa...
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 06:55:52 PM »
I hate even bringing it up since it would have been unintentional and it could happen to anyone at any time. But we all discuss the safety of our gear and so I brought it up. And yes, please don't flame me, I know shortboards and pointy and fins are sharp and all that, but we are all carrying paddles and riding larger boards and if things happen I'd like to know more.

I only heard whispers of it and it's been mentioned in comments on the videos of him, mostly proners griping, but it'd be good to know about.

I can't imagine the remorse you'd feel. I've dinged boards but it's gotta be crazy to really hurt someone. I imagine if it happened that the locals are pretty protective of it. It'd be really bad press and as we all know, accidents happen, no need to pillory someone.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
Ok, I'll bring up the elephant. Did he or did he not hit a guy thereby breaking that guy's arm. Not saying he's a bad guy but I will say that I didn't hear of a surfboard breaking an arm that day. I heard he hooked the arm with his paddle.

This may be a malicious rumor but I'd like to know the story since we all defend SUP gear and how safe an experienced rider is in the line up. Don't attack me, and please don't remind me that it's a dangerous sport, I know all that but if a paddle broke an arm in the lineup I'd like to hear about it, for educational purposes if nothing else.

As to the drop ins. It's Malibu, that's what happens, people share waves, drop in, bump each other, it's the way that spot is. Not saying it's right or wrong but it is actually pretty fun when good guys do it together and it's been that way since the 60's. Don't go there. It's horrible. ;)

The name mentioned was "Brian E."—I have no idea who that it, but maybe someone local is familiar with him. I placed it in the mental rumor pile since it wasn't mentioned in any of the online reports.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
I goggled it a half dozen different ways and even Binged it (bing?? Whot's that??). Nada. I'd say chances are it's rumor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
Appears that all those "Blame Laird" stickers have gotten traction....
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 09:56:03 PM »
A few years ago, a very well know shaper and past champion surfer lost control of a new front steering race board he was testing in the surf, and hit a guy. The guy was pretty hurt, but was understanding. He knew it was out of character this well know shaper and that it was completely an accident.

Hey, 'Laird Happens'!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard