Author Topic: I thought the Wedge was supposed to be for bodysurfers and spongers?  (Read 2396 times)

Seafarer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
All the video highlights I have seen show a lot of shortboarders.  Unsafe as hell.  That place was a zoo the last couple of days.  I am not much into rules but I think that is one place that hard surfboards should not be allowed.  If they can ride surfboards there, SUPs should sure as hell be allowed to surf at SanO, or anywhere for that matter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:15:58 PM by Seafarer »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I thought the Wedge was supposed to be for bodysurfers and spongers?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »
There was a time that anyone surfing a hard board at the wedge would get their ass handed to them--and not just by the wave. I agree, it's stupid and selfish for board surfers to be out there. Makes me slightly ill to see SUP guys in that wave.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:04:04 PM »
At 10 A.M. The black ball went up. 
I was standing near the rocks when the bodysurfers showed up.  It was fun to see.  Many of these guys have done this for years.  There were at least one father & son going out.
There is one video of the bodysurfers posted, from yesterday, on YouTube.  I'm on my iPad, and not sure how to get it on here.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »
Here is the one Wedge bodysurfing video I mentioned earlier.
First a little sense of humor these guys have.  One guy, you'll see in a wave later, wore a bright yellow speedo by viper.  Another one wore one with yellow duckies.  The best was this guy walks by wearing a speedo that looked like jeans.
I was standing next to the wife of one of the guys.  She was quietly saying don't go out.  Dumb move, etc..   She told me he was 55, has 6 kids, and had been bodysurfing there for 40 yrs. 

http://youtu.be/FFs4zAcwWec

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »
Smart wife. I went almost every day from '73 to '75 when a motorcycle, a toolbox, and a pair of fins were pretty much all I owned. If it was more than a little overhead I sat on the beach and watched--and that is when I was young, indestructible, and crazy. At the wedge it's not the wave you catch that beats the living poo out of you, it's the ones you miss. Those dark objects going over the falls into five inches of water are the guys that got close to the groove but tried to bail. If you want to get really scared, get into a good position to take off and then find the next wave is five feet taller. With a little luck you can swim so deep that it just yanks you around like someone tossed you into a commercial washing machine. If your luck is bad you find out why they call it the wedge.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
You just explained why I never tried it even when small. However, for a few years I regularly bodysurfed at the point, in all conditions & size.  Not the same. But not wimpy either.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »
There have always  been a few That rode it on boards. When iwas living on Balboa  Island right after I graduated college in 1976  we would go watch it break and there was this little Hawaiian kid who looked about 12-13 who surfed it,  we always awestruck by his skills and courage
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal