Author Topic: Organizing against the restrictions at Sano  (Read 5394 times)

SUP surf chick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Organizing against the restrictions at Sano
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »
SanoSup commented on the other thread about yesterday's Hawaii DLNR yesterday, in response to a comment I made about organizing a similar  action for Sano:

"Just remember, there's strength in numbers, with a uniformed front and message(s) getting more attention than one or two disgruntled SUPers.....as we saw in this thread with the pissed-off proner surfer attorney.

Socalsupper70, SupSurfIsSurf, StandinDan, The Kernal, and several others as a group are addressing the problem(s) also....hope you guys are touching base with them also, so the same word(s) are getting to those with the powers."

Yes, the time is come for us to take action and band together  once and for all instead of just sitting around complaining about how unfair the restrictions are.

So what have you guys done so far? Are you having meetings, or have you  started working on some kind of policy approach? Talked to anybody  with influence?

I and my hubby, SUP TW (is this your zoner name sweetie? :D) have recently written a letter to  Brian Ketterer who is the Orange County District Superintendent for the state parks. The letter focuses on questioning  the restrictions as spelled out  in a document known as the Posted Order 925–10–01. I sent the letter out a couple days ago and have yet to hear a response of any kind.

I have also been in conversations with HPWA Jack, another newbie here  who is a wealth of information. he is a good person to involve in this because he's got a pretty broad base of support in his organization, i.e.  strength in numbers....

Dina Whitaker
Living the dream in San Clemente!
Dogpatch (Sano) local
7'4" Simm style by Tom Whitaker

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Organizing against the restrictions at Sano
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »
Right On Babe..

How can we help..

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
good stuff for sure.
HPWA has some very urgent foundational issues/needs/priorities it needs to address before it can become the sup advocacy agency Jack and others want it to be.
One of those priorities is the PFD issue.
HPWA and Jack are aware of the sup surf ban and will continue to help out as they have time, for now there is something else locally in the works.

Details to follow soon.
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »
SUP Chick,

Please PM any of the above mentioned....as yes, folks have met, and I believe have started in the right direction in lifting the ban....not only at SanO, but state wide (ie. Doho also).

SupSurfIsSurf (an attorney) is working on creating a non-profit 501(3)(c) state SUP association, in order to respond from a much larger "state wide group", but also a much more local/CA one, than a "national association" presentation might be viewed from.

Now I may have spoken a bit prematurely, but I only did so, because I personally believe that it is going to take a single, loud, and clear message from the collective many....instead of many, singular, possibly conflicting messages, and not so loud messages from individuals, regardless of how well-meaning they certainly will be.

So I hope I've answered your question(s), not let the cat too far out of the bag that time will be wasted trying to get it back in if need be, but like the singular attorney in HI found out last night, trying to win a battle by yourself, is WAY more difficult when faced with numbers on the other side of the restricted line.

I'm positive there's a LOT more that will be shared soon, so let's all get united in our efforts, and get get the ocean opened up to all, not just where a few old surfers think some of us should be regulated to, just for their selfish, unfounded reasonings.

SS

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:34:35 PM »
Details to follow soon.
Sorry Socal....hope I did speak to soon, but I think it needs to get out so everything gets all lined up in a row, and the powers to be don't think it's only a few individuals who are unhappy, instead of the real numbers (or potential numbers) that are out there.

My apologies if there are/were other plans on moving forward and informing the "masses" if you will.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
no worries brother!

sent you a PM....
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »
The Sano SUS issue is a clear misunderstanding of rules that basically were made up by persons with their own agenda. Those rules are now being challenged by us and will be modified in our favor in the not so distant future. We have a great team brewing and we'll be addressing things in a local meeting in Sept. Our letter to Brian Ketterer is the first step. He will more than likely not respond which will be understood.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SUP surf chick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Hi guys,

It sounds to me like we are all wanting the same thing, albeit we may have different ideas about how to achieve our aims. It sounds to me like we need to start getting serious about organizing.

BTW, it's great to have an attorney on board, but I will say that there are lots of approaches that can and should be considered. It doesn't all have to come down to lawsuits. The most important thing is to communicate across the diverse spectrum of interests and ideas and strategize. How can we strategize together, to create that united voice and effort?

Can we organize a meeting?

Dina Whitaker
Living the dream in San Clemente!
Dogpatch (Sano) local
7'4" Simm style by Tom Whitaker

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »
Hi guys,

It sounds to me like we are all wanting the same thing, albeit we may have different ideas about how to achieve our aims. It sounds to me like we need to start getting serious about organizing.

BTW, it's great to have an attorney on board, but I will say that there are lots of approaches that can and should be considered. It doesn't all have to come down to lawsuits. The most important thing is to communicate across the diverse spectrum of interests and ideas and strategize. How can we strategize together, to create that united voice and effort?

Can we organize a meeting?

Sent you a pm SSC.
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

HPWA Jack

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 06:54:53 AM »
good stuff for sure.
HPWA has some very urgent foundational issues/needs/priorities it needs to address before it can become the sup advocacy agency Jack and others want it to be.
One of those priorities is the PFD issue.
HPWA and Jack are aware of the sup surf ban and will continue to help out as they have time, for now there is something else locally in the works.

Details to follow soon.
Thanks to the locals who made this kook feel welcome.  It is not like riding a bike.  It doesn't come back all at once.
But, I get it now.  Churches was rideable when dogpatch wasn't.  Pretty simple arithmetic.

HPWA is going through some organizational issues.  I believe my advisors will be on board for the SanO problem and a preemptive strike at future SUS restrictions.  I'll be hanging around the beach again in two weeks and see if the impromptu meetings on the sand can make some advancement.

In the mean time, I'll be in my office with a double overhead stack of paper.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
Lawyers are like nuclear weapons, you hope you never need them, but if you do, you gotta have your own.

Of course when push comes to shove I'm always a proponent of the preemptive strike.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal