Author Topic: How NOT To Make An Intorduction...  (Read 2405 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
How NOT To Make An Intorduction...
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
So after taking a look at the jumbled mess they called Dog Patch today....a couple of us decided to head south we a friend was reporting much better/cleaner conditions in Carlsbad.

Definitely scored a few REAL fun ones down south near Terramar.....a couple 3 to 4 foot overhead lefts and rights made it well worth the beating StandinDan and myself took on a particular paddle out.

A paddle out that made us the Grand Marshals of the infamous Kooksville Parade....

Somehow in one of the many huge whitewater beatings we took, I ended up getting wash over the top of SD from a BIG one, just as we were getting close to finally making it out, and next thing I know.....

I'm being dragged backwards by my leash, and I feel as though I have some cable stretched across my thighs, and some pole pushing across my chest.

The "cable" finally releases (turns out Dan's getting tired of being drug and drowned, so releases his ankle leash/"cable"...phew, good thinking, and thanks), I come to the surface, only to see Dan well outside of me, without a board or paddle....and when I look inside, I see his board on top of mine, at the end of my leash.

I pull the boards into me, separate them, push his over to him, and then ask him where his paddle went?  He's not sure, but as soon as I stand back up to look for it, I realize.....geezus, I'm holding HIS paddle....so WTH is mine!?

Peering further inside, I see another friend we came with, about 20' from shore, holding two paddles in his hands, as he raises one to show me it's mine.   "Crap, this must look great for all the SUP haters on the beach".....goes though my head.

So trying to not look too much like a gronk, I toss Dan his paddle, prone paddle into the next decent wave, and surf it into our buddy, with a couple little turns for good measure, and stall it right next to him as he hands me my paddle.

And all of this is on our first paddle out!! 

Fortunately, we redeemed ourselves with some really fun waves, and some proners who even threw out a compliment or two....but man, what I way to introduce yourselves to the proner guys and gals out there.....as SD said, "Welcome to Kooksville, population: us!!".  :-[ ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:42:01 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT To Make An Intorduction...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »
Nice account.  It's one of those, "Sounds like that could be me" refrains.

I'm going out in about an hour for a rare late afternoon session when the tide starts going out, looks rough so I'll take the helmet.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:28:27 PM »
Where did you surf in  Carlsbad at the point or closer to the  powerplant?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:21 PM »
Where did you surf in  Carlsbad at the point or closer to the  powerplant?
Pretty much just south of the powerplant, south of where the houses stop....not too familiar with the area, so I hope that helps.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
my home break  it was actually fairly junky there  today usually i lines up much  better and  you take off from in front of the 5 or 6 the  house down kick out on the sand  about 100 feet past the most northerly house   ( when it is good). if you are down ever look for an old fat guy with a beard  on   a light blue and bamboo  c4 or a blue and black kings and say hi
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
a blue and black kings and say hi
You didn't happen to follow a red Corran Retro up the stairs when you were leaving today did you?

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »
no  that wasn't me

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:24:40 PM »
thats awesome-been there done that with another dude years ago at Boneyards.
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »
Great story SamoSup! I felt that way at times today, too.  :-[

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal