Author Topic: Cristobal session 1 - and a shortboarder cop  (Read 3474 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Cristobal session 1 - and a shortboarder cop
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »
Fun dawn patrol today in Newport. Not quite as big as forecast but clean long rides. It was dark when i got to the beach but by the time I had gear out and got stretched it was good enough to go. My head was off a little today so I'm glad it started out so clean. I used the 9-8 but even if my head is clear I need it fairly glassy to stay up on it. As it got a little bumpier I was having some issues and missed a few waves because I was off balance.  Think I'll switch to the 8-0 for this afternoon, significantly more stable. I get tired a lot faster when I'm fighting to stay up.
Waves were waist to chest at the start but it quickly started building and the offshore winds picked up so the faces were getting better. Bigger sets ended up being 7 or 8' by the time I had to leave with the tops getting blasted off in the wind. Fairly crowded but spread out, everybody was getting waves and hooting. Wish I had my camera with me...PDLSRFR caught a BOMB outside and just flew down the line. I saw him paddle into it 100yds away and he passed within feet in front of me throwing buckets....would have been sweet on video.

My cop reference......4:00 am....not another car on the road. I get pulled over for doing 53 in a 35 (on a road that should be 45). He gets my reg and license and then says "good swell coming in" and I reply yeah...just excited to get to the beach and see what we have. He says, "yeah...I'm going to get out later". So I'm thinking cool, he's a bro, I'll get a warning.....he comes back with a ticket....."f'ing shortboarder no doubt!...... >:(

I was thinking of heading further south for this afternoons session but I think I'll just grab a few at Horseneck on the way home.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cristobal session 1 - and a shortboarder cop
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
.. a 35 (on a road that should be 45).

Wow, I'm sure no cop has never heard that one before!  ;D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
Sucks about your ticket, Stoneaxe. At least he didn't cite you for not wearing a PFD too!  ;)

Watching the Jenness Beach surf cam while stuck in the office all day is killing me!  :'(
Hopefully the waves will stick around for an early evening session tonight.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:22 AM »
glad you made it.  ready for round two?  here's  a shot of my buddy jimi from yesterday, tucking in:

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:25:13 AM »
Stoney, Missed you at first. Was there till 3. Fun with the crew as usual. Went to a river in Port West on the way home. Bad luck on the ticket bud! Later!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:38:56 AM »
so.... stoney and I are both nearing our beaches.... he says "I'll be there in about a minute"
So I figure I'll wait and see what the surf is like where he is.... it's still dark out, and we are both excited to see if the forecast was right.

All of a sudden:

"Gotta go... being pulled over by a cop" 

ha ha  ;)        Sorry stoney... I had to laugh. I figured you'd end up in jail and miss the swell completely.

If I knew he had a shortboard on his rack, I'd have begun to raise bail

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:01:57 AM »
Oh Man Stoney that sucks about the Ticket !!

You scored a few nice big rides as I was watching you prior to heading out to see if it was even possible to judge swell and duration and possible direction, no luck there so figured time to hit the crowded line ups and find a few spots without too many proners. Definitely a few nice bombs ridden and I was stoked about one massive late drop that blasted me down the wave and out of the crashing wave behind me, I was going so fast I did everything I could just to keep the board on the water....fun times !!!

We had a great turnout at 1st beach for Zoners and CCBC veterans (8 I counted plus Piece of 8 who raced down around 2pm to join the fun - I guess he got sick of all the calls and texts telling him how epic is was and how the beach was stock full of bikini clad college chicks).

Ironic as I called him on my way out to warn him about the cops and to watch his speed, this was not even knowing about Stoney's run in with the law.

I know MR. Big is out at 1st right now as texting with him at 4:30am is a hoot, not sure who else is joining him.....wish I could out as my Xterra is still loaded with boards but daddy duties call. I'll just pray for some waves over the long weekend!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »
I didn't actually tell him that spook... ::). I was very cordial, apologized for my thoughtless behavior, yada, yada. fortunately I don't have any other speeding tickets in RI and if you haven't had one in 3 year you can go to court and get it waved....speaking of which........hope there are waves that day. Turning a speeding ticket into an excuse to get out of work and go surfing would make some tasty lemonade from this lemon... ;)

As good as Newport was in the morning Horseneck was even better, considerably bigger and longer rides. Wave of the day was my last one. 10'er at least that started out with a few long swooping turns along the crest, a deep hard bottom turn back up to the closing right lip, big smash off the top that had my feet up even with my head and a freefall back down onto the face, turned back left walked to the nose and cruised left along the crest for a bit, stepped back and turned straight as it closed and iron legged it through the wash all the way to the beach. I was DONE and figured that was a good note to leave on before i did something stupid and got crushed. I only did 1.5 hour 2nd session there....no juice left in my arms at the end...sucked carrying my board back.

To top of the great glow I had from the wave...I was getting my gear stowed and such when a crew of young local shortboarders came over and said it was nice to see someone on a SUP that knew what they were doing.... :o 8). We talked for a bit and they admitted they don't much like seeing SUPs show up when they are clueless and disrupt the flow in the lineup. I told them I feel much the same, told them to hate the rider not the board. Then started telling them they needed to check it out. By the time I stopped talking about some of the amazing young rippers on SUPs and the size of the boards they and other talented riders are using and how much faster you can progress skills on a SUP, and how you can get a great workout and have fun on the water even on flat days I actually think i had a couple of them thinking about it.

Linter..that pic of your buddy has me confused...i think creek is trying to spread some disinformation....said it was 3' and weak in Linterland.... ::)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
3' and weak?  i dunno about that.  i saw creek catch some bombs and one especially nice one with him ffffar up on the nose.  he said someone was going to take movies.  hope that happened ... and that there are none of me.  glad to you got some!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
The pic don't lie. NOT 3 feet! Block I buoy maxed at 5.9 for Cristobal and 6.3 for Bertha.

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
I thought it was kind of ironic that I started the day with my assumed shortboarder cop and ended it talking story with the kids in the parking lot.....maybe the cop was actually a grumpy longboarder.... ;)
Bob

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »
Bummer on being 20 mins later to the waves! I was ripping asphalt to DP this morn too. Came upon a stop light but gratefully it was red as a Portsmouth RI cop sitting and waiting for me on 114.

I have to check out Horseneck - never been.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal