Author Topic: EC Surfing upgrade from Fanatic Allwave, Too many choices  (Read 3010 times)

Newlyaddicted

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
EC Surfing upgrade from Fanatic Allwave, Too many choices
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:19:34 AM »
I apologize. I know these type of threads get played out and are subjective but it's tough making a decision and spending two grand without some advice. Thanks for the help. I'm surfing Long Island, NY. Weight 160lbs. Intermediate surfer. 3 years surfing. Last two years with a Fanatic Allwave 9'2" X 31.5. So many choices and I don't know enough about board shape when I read the descriptions to know what's better suited for these waters and my skill level. Looking to get better but also have a board for all conditions, choppy small days included. Haven't found any to be able to demo.

Coreban Fusion 9'0 X 29.5
Fanatic Prowave 9'2" X 31 or 9'6
Starboard Converse 9'0 X 30
JP Australia Surf 9'2 X 30, 9'6 X 31
Kings Simmons 9' range
Simsup L3 8'8 X 32

Any board you can recommend or give info on would be helpful, even if it's not listed here.  Thanks again.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
Re: EC Surfing upgrade from Fanatic Allwave, Too many choices
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:35:01 AM »
I am a huge fan of the SIMSUP.  Simply put, it changed the way I surf and how much fun I'm having doing it.  At 160#, you should go smaller.  These boards work differently, and have much better stability per length than other boards.  I'm 48, 5-8, 180# and my 8-0 x 30.5 SIMSUP 2 has plenty of float, easily catches waves from 1' mush to overhead bombs, and goes like a scalded cat on the waves.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »
I know these type of threads get played out and are subjective but it's tough making a decision and spending two grand without some advice.

Everyone here can only speak from our experience, and I'm no exception.  I'll fight the urge, and do the next most wonky thing and say demo everything you can get your hands on and buy what you like.  None of the boards mentioned are a quantum leap from the board you have so now you're talking about subtle differences that only you can judge if you like or not.  Our "tout what we ride" advice is a load of humpback huey because none of us can replicate your experience on a board.  Besides, you look like you've assembled a solid list of candidates.  Don't discount a custom at this point.

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »
You didn't say if you were a long boarder or a short boarder when you were surfing.
If you want an Sup that works like a high performance long board and nose rides then I would
look at the surfing sports Hammer. They will size them according to your specs if you don't
want a production model.
See the Hammer Thread in the SUP sports gear section.

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:57:08 PM »
I have a allwave 9'6" and got a Hammer 9'5" Its way faster and super light with
a flat rocker plus you can do any fin configuration.  I weigh 220 and at 160 liters
it floats me pretty well . You could easily go down to a 8' 11 or 8'5"

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »
NA
I'm in Southampton, I have a 7'11" x 30.5" and a 8'4" x 31"
I weight 170 and moved down from an all wave 2 years ago.
If you make it out this way you can demo em!

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »
NA - no apologies. THAT is what we are all here for.  :D

I may be a good comparison. I'm 15 days away from being 39. I'm 5'9 and 180lbs (weighed myself this AM and guess I gained 5lbs in last few months  :o). Lots of good ice cream here on Cape Cod  ;D

I too "learned" on a 9'2 AllWave. Ive only been SUSing for just over a year. I've prob only surfed it 10 times and caught about 100 or so waves (last Sep and Oct and this July and Aug). It's a finely built board and good for the $ but hard for me to surf and near impossible to fall off. Better suited for 200lb+ in my opinion

Last month I bought an 8'8 x 30 x 4.5" Cannibal. It took me a few hours to get the hang of it and still has plenty of learning curve for my skills but now I feel like I'm SURFING vs riding. Rails and nose are thin not boxy like the AllWave. I'm still not certain of the volume but It's a blast!!!

Aaaand after only a month with the Cannibal I just ordered a 7'8 x 30 SIMSUP ST (Split Tail) from L41. So you can see where this is going  :) :) :)

If your goal is to go short and light and surf like a short boarder and take later drops than go SIMSUP. A SIMSUP shaper will def tell you to take a 1' off from your current board and thus use 8'2 as a starting point. But with your size and experience they will most likely suggest sub 8' as they did me. According to Kirk at L41 the ST will handle the small mush to OH clean waves and the typical wind/chop we have on east coast. But, no board will really be the ultimate board for every condition thus the term quiver. 

If you want to still have some glide but carve too than look at mid 8' boards (8'8 - 8'5) with much lower volume than the AllWave and thinner rails. There are a TON of boards in this size as you know. Check out Cannibal, Angulo, Exocet, Focus Raw too.

That all being said, some folks are of the school of thought that tweener boards sacrifice too much. Anything under 10' sacrifices too much glide and anything over 8' sacrifices too much speed. So you have that.  ;)

Hope this helps. Enjoy your search.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:48:03 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99