Author Topic: Would this qualify as warranty?  (Read 7518 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Would this qualify as warranty?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »
I liked it a lot, it's the best 14 I've found for a guy my size, but it's still a 14. I gave it two days and two downwinders and swapped it with Big Winds for a production Bullet 17 they had that was gathering dust.
I believe the Hood River standup paddling community was created to give people in the NW a convenient, endless supply of lightly used, late-model boards.  Gorgebob may even have a couple slots in his showroom permanently reserved for consignment boards from there.  My Glide and Javelin are both Hood River boards.  Not sure if the Javelin was used more than a couple times.  If I want to know what my next board (not just the model, but the actual board) might be, I just look at what people are riding there.  If I want a particular new-model board at a great price, I figure I just need to get someone up there interested in a new one, then wait a bit.   

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
UPDATE 1
Weeble....my issue is on the bottom of the board so paddle hitting the board when standing up is not the case here.

My compression dent is on the water line as you can maybe see from the not so good photo...and its located less than 1ft from the nose.

As I mentioned earlier, I have honestly not done anything with the board. Paddled one hour in a lake, brought it home and next time I went to paddle I noticed it.
LESSON Learned: Yes...inspect the board before getting it. I think I was so excited when I saw it that I just wanted to get it and go paddle! Beginners mistake!

UPDATE 2 MOST IMPORTANT
I got a brand new board! After inspection earlier today by Naish guys they replaced it! Naish customer service ROCKS!!!!
When the new board arrived a little later, I inspected it well....

Interesting thing...I left the dented board at Big Winds at 9.30am today...went for rafting with family at White Salmon River.... got back to Big Winds around 3pm not expecting anything but I got to see a new board.
When I went to show one of the sales guys the old board....guess what? There was yet another dent on the bottom....very strange. Maybe the Naish guys tested it and based on that decided to give me a new one.

Not sure if I got a mellon...or if this is an issue with the 2015 Javelin GX! Time will tell.

One thing is for certain, this baby will get all the care it deserves...and maybe more!
Believe me....my kids already know that next to the board, unless they are paddling, there is a 10ft no show zone! Other kids will be warned also...
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

desfluranesup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »
That's great news.
I've got a small dent on my nose, just a small touch when I took the board down from my rack. Broken surface.
Can't suck through it so just superficial.
Gotta a feeling the 'new' GX construction is not the same skin, seems much more fragile.
Naish 9'5" Mana
Naish Javelin 14" GX 28"
Naish Nalu 11'
Ke Nalu Maliko
Ke Nalu Konihi 95

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
Gotta a feeling the 'new' GX construction is not the same skin, seems much more fragile.

I am hoping this is an isolated issue....

desfluranesup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 11:00:53 PM »
Fingers crossed  :-X
Naish 9'5" Mana
Naish Javelin 14" GX 28"
Naish Nalu 11'
Ke Nalu Maliko
Ke Nalu Konihi 95

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
"I got a brand new board! After inspection earlier today by Naish guys they replaced it! Naish customer service ROCKS!!!!"

That's very good of both the shop and Naish to do that for you..

They might use that board for demo's and if so it's sure to get many more little dents like that..  :)

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:32 AM »
"I got a brand new board! After inspection earlier today by Naish guys they replaced it! Naish customer service ROCKS!!!!"

That's very good of both the shop and Naish to do that for you..

They might use that board for demo's and if so it's sure to get many more little dents like that..  :)

I was thinking the same DJ....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
Big Winds is just a great outfit. Steve and TJ bend over backwards to keep customers happy--sometimes I think too far. I still feel kind of bad about a wetsuit they replaced for me--I hosed the zipper and it was definitely my fault for herking on it when I should have gotten someone to help me. I didn't ask for a replacement, just asked if they knew someone that did zipper repair, but Steve insisted.

With customer service like that I'm not likely to buy anywhere else when I'm in the Gorge.

In Portland it's all Gorge Performance. Same reason--outstanding customer support.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »
What PB said ^^^^^.

I'm a little biased as a former employee, although I spent more on gear than I earned! BWinds is the best, I wish we had a store on Maui, maybe I need to talk to Steve about that...

Genuine commitment to the sport and the customer, I haven't found a business I'd rather help support or work for.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
Earlier this week, I was thinking similarly how great it is to have an awesome shop nearby (50 yards in my case) as gorgebob cut 1" off my KeNalu for the third time, since I know I'd screw it up myself.  I went there last week, and there was Thomas Maximus.  Danny Ching had just left.  The month before Chuck Patterson appeared with a truckful of Naishes.  Big Winds sounds similar, and clearly others here are lucky enough to have their own great local shops, all over the world.  Everyone probably thinks their own shop is best, and amazingly, they can all be right.   

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »
Well....I personally had a very very different experience at the Gorge Performance. When considering the GX purchase I went to them also. They didnt know much about the GX. After asking when I could get one...Spring 2015! While TJ told me they are in, and I could get one next day! My emails to Gorge Performance were unanswered, etc....
So in my very short SUP experience Big Winds is by far most preferred.
I will not discard Gorge Performance. Will give them another try...but see lots of missed opportunities and lost sales in their processes....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 06:41:49 AM »
The key with Gorge Performance is to talk to Bob or Kim--the owners. It's a busy shop and he has a lot of kids working there that are mostly snowboarders or something other than SUP freaks. Big winds is a little more specialized and everyone there has river water in their veins.

For that matter, everyone has good and bad days, but it's one hell of a shop and a great asset to Portland.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 07:12:05 AM »
+1 for Gorge Performance. I pre-ordered a 2014 Naish Glide GS from them last year, dealing with Bob who was friendly and helpful. Delivery kept being delayed (as it was world wide) but Bob kept me in the loop. Drove down from Canada (always good to have an excuse to go to Portland!) to collect and got a great price. Good experience and would do it again. I agree though, some of the others in the shop weren't as knowledgeable about SUP but as PB said, I just put that down to them being surfers or snowboarders. Not sure my wife/bank manager would like me living 50 yards away but would be great to have a shop like that up here in Vancouver. Big Winds sounds pretty awesome too.

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »
OK...I am not going to elaborate any further as I do intend to give them another shot...but will say I did meet Bob and did speak to him.....

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
I do like the energy there from having surf, skateboard, windsurf, and snowboard mixed in, as opposed to an all-SUP shop.  Looks like some of the other shop's like Easy Rider's have that too.  Best thing is at the outdoor movie nights where everyone's all watching and digging someone else's sport on the big screen in the parking lot.  Of course they do keep the SUPs in their own line-up in the "shed".  I haven't tried showing up with one in the lineup in the main building yet.  Did bring my paddle in there the other day but got pure aloha--no stinkeye at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal