Author Topic: Looking for a pad ...  (Read 8083 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Looking for a pad ...
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:00:28 AM »
   I'm trying to find a pad for my new supig.  the color/scheme of the board's look is based on this Boga board, which is about the prettiest I've seen:
   I'm going for the same lines but with a burnt orange body and an off-white comp stripe.  Anyway, I love the Boga pad.  Anyone seen one like it for sale anywhere?  I like the way it's cut and I like the color.  Anything even close?
   About the closest I've come -- and it's not very close -- is this one on Amazon:

The color is what it is but maybe I can smooth out the shape with a pair of scissors.  But I sure would love to find that Boga pad (without the B, if possible).  Ideas?

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a pad ...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:45:55 AM »
Something here??? I looked into them for my Kaholo. I think Bote uses this stuff if I remember right.
http://www.seadek.com/c-96-stand-up-paddleboard-pads.aspx

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:25:39 AM »
Erik, the Punt Surf pad from Amazon is awesome! Used one on my 9'8" Hobie and on the Hobie Raw 8'11" now owned by STC

He changed it out however!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:26:32 AM »
I just got an OAM Slater Trout Red Stripe pad for my 7'10 Starboard Airborn. It's mostly black with red, green and white stripes. That would look good on that board.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:55:24 AM »
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=28

quite a variety available.  high quality.  used them for years.

ed

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14:57 AM »
mrbig: glad to see you giving a thumbs up to the punt.  it's definitely the way i'm leaning.  i like the pieces look, as opposed to the solid one piece pad (sorry, surfKnobby!).  what color did you have?  do you know why STC switched it out?  Care to weigh in, STC?  will check out the rest, too, thanks guys ....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:33 AM »
Glad to see Seadeck making pads again. they were going to quit because they're too busy with their main biz (boat decks). I consider them the best pads available. Very light, very durable, good texture and a very sophisticated finish to the edges. Not cheap, but the best rarely is.

All the NSI stuff is first quality too. And of course they're right here in Hood River. Anyone looking to do anything to their SUP needs to take a look at NSI's products. I love their rubber and spectra stick on tie downs.  Pretty crazy to have all this concentration or talent and resources in a town of 5700 people.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:26:22 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SupTrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:24:30 AM »
Agreed on sea dek, i cut a pad out of their sheet material for my allstar. Very comfortable for long paddles, doesnt absorb water, and doesnt seem to bottom out or fully compress like hydro turf etc. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 06:26:33 AM »
Buy the raw pad material and make your own. Take some paper and make a pattern on the board and transfer the pattern onto the back and cut easily with sharp scissors. Custom size, shapes, easy to do. I like the hydroturf stuff because it is a bit softer...the softness offers better grip too. Lots of colors and surface textures to choose from...good price too.
http://hydroturf.com/add_to_cart.php?cat=Sheets+of+Hydro-Turf&num=SHT23CDPSA
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:34:17 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 06:28:40 AM »
NOOOO. Seadeck is not just cut, it's pressure formed to be thinner at the edges and have a beautiful finished edge that doesn't adsorb water. My brother is a barbarian. Don't listen to him. You're a barbarian too suptrip.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »
and it gets friggin smooth and slippery over time....hydroturf doesn't. I just ripped the Seadeck off my Vec and if i still surfed the 12-6 it would come off that as well. If hydroturf sucks water it's not much and I know my boards have better grip from the pads than yours.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:41:08 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
Put the board in the sun. Wax the pad, put it back in the sun until it melts into the pad. Wipe of the excess. Once a year is plenty.

You buy the kid books and all he does is chew off the covers.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »
well, unless i hear some loud negative shouting by STC, i'm going to go with the mrbig special.  the look is right, the color is right, i'm gonna do it, unless ....

thanks, all, once again for your help and suggestions.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
Golly no... mr linter, sir... no loud negative shouting from here.... gosh no.... it's a very fine pad. Grippy, soft and cushy... very nice.

I assume you are going all white? Looks spiffy

All I did with the mr big pad was modify it slightly, to add utility and a sporty look  ;D

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 01:58:39 PM »
ah, beautiful, as befits a man as spiffy as you.  thanks!

i actually got this one: http://www.amazon.com/BULLET-PROOF-SURF-SUP-traction/dp/B00KQK30X8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1409173044&sr=8-9&keywords=sup+traction+pad .   looks identical and it's 15 clams cheaper.  how different could they be?  (famous last words ...)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal