Author Topic: Really big SUP boards  (Read 6083 times)

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Really big SUP boards
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »
I teach introduction level SUP lessons and have found that even my biggest boards (Starby Atlas Extra) are still not enough for some clients. Many of these folks are very out of shape and very big. It is difficult for them to support their weight without locking their knees that further comprises their balance. Does anyone know of a round nosed production epoxy board that is over 260L? I know there are some big people on 220L or less but these customers of mine are not athletic and have little experience with any balance sport. This situation has become surprisingly common. Thanks!
Life Rewards Movement

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Really big SUP boards
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:48:41 PM »
Well, the 14ft Laird Coastrunner technically fits what you ask for but I'm guessing you are looking for bigger width.

Are you sure that it is possible to make a board that these people can use? Maybe some people are just too out of shape to SUP no matter how big the board: how would they get back on if they fell off? I dunno how you'd tell someone that though.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »
Starboard Fisherman?

Hard board 11'2 x 37" and 250 Litres

http://www.star-board-sup.com/2014/products/boards/exploring--11-2-x37-fisherman

and there is an inflatable version 11'2 x 40" and 405 Litres (!!!)

http://www.star-board-sup.com/2014/products/boards/astro--11-2-x40-fisherman

In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:47:42 PM »
Upwinder may onto something - inflatables may be the ticket.  That Starboard could work, as could the new "Sportsman" by Hobie - 38" wide w/ separate rail chambers for extra stability.   

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »
It does seem that SUP has some miraculous benefit in losing weight with regular workouts. When people find that out, they tend to want to try it out.

There are some heavy dudes on SUP boards around Santa Cruz, but most of them look to be quite experienced and well balanced, and a couple are genuine rippers.

You can never really tell with heavy people, because some are in good shape, they are very strong and also co-ordinated.  I saw an enormously fat lady with skinny, spindly legs mostly kneeing a board around Shark's a couple of weeks ago, she was just in a bathing suit and clearly very inexperienced and LOOKED to be in bad shape.  She eventually wobbled up to stand up on the ocean and very soon stayed up, and paddled down to the hook with no problem. Pissed me off since I was mostly on my knees for a couple of months out there.

Sometimes, I see older proners who really look like they are struggling and I wonder if they can even swim much, they seem to need a kinder, gentler venue for a while.

I think "self rescue" is the key, one has to be able to do that reasonably well or a chaperone is in order and lots of flat water practice first.

Red Paddle Mega Inflatable at 293L should hold your dudes pretty well, and it is a fun inflatable.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:11:40 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 12:31:02 AM »
Hooked SUP. I think it may be the most stable thing out there.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 04:17:46 AM »
The Starboard Fisherman has great numbers, but I think the reality of using them with unfit big folks will be getting back on when they fall in.... the sunken deck means they will have to drag themselves over the ridge made by the lowered deck (pic 1)

lucabrasi said "Hooked SUP"... that looks perfect
11'8 x 36 x 5.25" @ 285 liters

BIG wide tail and nose... and full deckpad ... 39 lbs

Yolo Fisherman is another to look at

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »
My first SUP board was the 11'6" NSP @ 225 litres...  I affectionately referred to it as the 'aircraft carrier'.   Sold it about a year ago, but it was perfect for me to learn on.  I'm a real fast learner, only took me about 12 months before my aircraft carrier became less adept at bucking me off.  Now I've moved on to a board that gets it done better  8)
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »
Have you considered an Imagine Surfer? They're heavy and slow, but 34" wide and extremely stable. Plus, the softer plastic is less of an impact when the person falls. The board also has markings on the pad where the person should put their feet. It also has a lot of flotation for heavier people.

I think it's a great board. Plus, the impact resistant board doubles as a rock-resistant river runner. (Hey, I alliterated!)

The pictures here aren't mine.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 08:13:02 AM »
Plenty of rocker and room for passengers.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »
I think wardog has hasake's.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »
I think wardog has hasake's.... ;)

Takes a Dolly to move...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
Thanks all for the rapid and useful responses. The humor was also appreciated! I discounted inflatable boards because I was concerned about the softer flexible surface under their weight and potential taco-ing. The other thing that bothered me about inflatables is the max rider weight notation from Starboard that indicates an Astro Explorer with a volume of 405L is 264 pounds. The Yolo and Hooked SUP have attractive volume numbers with a hard surface. That might do the trick.

I'm very encouraged by the success I've had with people that were very big for their height but less heavy in relationship to the Atlas Extra (253L). These clients were so happy to do something they consider daring and conquer it. Many of them managed a cross-nose-sweep and pivot turn. I would like to do the same for those over 300 lbs. These clients are more likely to continue their pursuit of a more healthy life if they have some immediate success. In several cases the client was pushed into the class by their family and was the first physical effort in a sport for years.

So far I have been able to get all my clients back on their board after a fall. Unfortunately after the effort expended to get back on their board some were winded and unwilling to risk another fall. I'm an ACA instructor and the ACA spends a lot of time on rescue and safety tactics that come in handy. Some clients gave up but others were inspired to finally drop some weight and come back for another go. The experience showed them how far they had fallen from health. I really love this job. It is so rewarding to see people light up with accomplishment regardless of their reasons to try SUP. It's the best.
Life Rewards Movement

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »
I'm going to sound lie a broken record and say the Imagine Surfer is still the right board. Yes, I know plastic isn't the coolest thing to build a board from, but this model has three handles that are just the thing for you.

This is mine. If anybody falls off it, which is rare, they pull themselves onto the deck with three handles, all set in a row. You can pull yourself up, one handle at a time.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal