Author Topic: Are you afraid your SUP will be stolen from your car?  (Read 9208 times)

Dave B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Are you afraid your SUP will be stolen from your car?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 08:12:24 AM »
creek
  Wasn't that i didn't believe you!  I've got a crv SUV and currently can get  my insanely rippable JP 8 2  and 8 10 pros inside very similarly to your ride.

I'm planning on getting a kings noserider in the next few months from Dave D. I want to go as long as I can and still get in car.  I have racks but if I bring multiple boards like to have option of finding shade and locking unridden board(s) inside car.  Good option to have.

I was thinking I would be limited to a 9 6 but your seriously making me wonder! Thanks for the pics.

I'll have to do some recon in jax beach borrowing longer boards to see what all i can squeeze inside

Cheers
D

SalientOne

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
Those Kanulock straps look pretty sweet. I generally don't leave my board for long in a situation where I can't see it, but having straps that require a bolt cutter would give me piece of mind.

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
Yes...that's why I have iSUPS for when traveling. Not worth the exposure / loss of my hard board.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »
Pretty much always inside the van,
unless I'm Supping.
 8)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
This is the reason we vanners love our rigs.   Stuff board in and fahget about it.
Ain't dat da trueph!!"

We'll have to get a picture of our next "Odyssey Surf Van Club" meeting. ;) :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
Kanulocks are worth the investment, and they're actually more like $70 (for a single board 10'6" or under, the 8ft green, short straps are sufficient). I have no illusions they'd last overnight in a sketchy area, but for piece of mind while stopping for dinner or shopping, they're great.

aaahhh jeeze... always a doubter....ok... be right back ;)

I'm not doubting, but I want to see how you do it. If you can do it with a Civic, I ought to be able to do it with a Forester.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:37:17 AM by SeaMe »
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
Car alarm is not going to stop the idiot if he wants the board.  Ten/twenty years ago we would stopped and checked when a car alarm gone off.  Now, it's a damn annoyance unless it's your own car.

I used Yakima lock straps and docklock.  Loosing a board is bad enough.  Having to also buy new glass for the door double suck!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:59:13 AM by RATbeachrider »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
It helps to have a pit bull roaming the property. Radio collar fence is great
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »
Ha Ha Dave B... I was just having fun with you.... hence the wink smiley

I took my Starboard Avanti with me when I bought the Astro VanSUPbag//// it was a monster at 11'2 x 36" x 5"
I wouldn't test drive the van till he took the back seat out and I loaded up my Avanti and closed the doors.

Most compacts have fold down back seats and layback front seats (back down first, front back and pressed down 2nd.

I have had an 11' surfboard in the Civic... but I have to remove the center fin if it's big.... not with the 10'6

Width is more restrictive, but I routinely drove hours with my 9'6 x 32" Allwave in the car.

It's great ... 1 in the water.... back up in the car ;-)

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for replies.

i was afraid to leave the board at the parking lot of a big golfing tournament today....as I wanted to go paddling after that.
Did it without any problems. I guess golfing crowd will are not the stealing crowd...

Anyway, I think I will seriously consider the KANULOCk straps.
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 08:09:49 AM »
I use the Thule SUP Taxi to keep semi-honest people honest. I'd hate to say how easy it would be to overcome. But it works well with multiple boards and lets me bring one or a quiver to the beach.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

SalientOne

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 08:13:58 AM »
I use the SUP Taxi and it's great for convenience and mild deterrent but yeah, if someone has a knife and a couple of minutes your board(s) could be gone. That's why the Kanulocks are interesting to me. I could see carrying them in my SUV and then pulling them out if I ever need to leave the boards up top for an hour or two.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
I'm more afraid a thief will mistake my paddle bag for a gun case and break in my car.

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Twiggy96

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
I have the older style of the kanulock when they were branded SPT lockable straps. They are awesome, I never really worry with these things on. A buddy had his boards on with the same strap and some fool tried to slice them. He ended up with a frayed strap, but couldn't get to the boards. They are designed so they will clog up wire cutters or bolt cutters with the nylon thread. Sure, with enough time and quality tools someone can cut them, but an opportunist thief would most likely give up after a minute or two.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »
Lately, my Glide 14 had been on the roof of my truck more than anywhere else as I've been paddling 6 mornings a week.  It just isn't worth it to take it down, so it's in my driveway every night and in the lot at work during the day.  We've got a high traffic situation at work with a lot of eyes, so I bank on the fact that I'm the big boss that no one's gonna mess with my car.  I used to be a bit more concerned about it overnight in my driveway, but that's where having husband and wife cops on one side and an overly paranoid/nosy senior citizen on the other works in my favor.

I tie it down with one steelcore strap on the front (and loop it through the bag handle) but just a bungee on the back.  As has already been said, nothing's 100% theft-proof, but I'm hoping that's enough to get them to move on and steal someone else's board.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal