Author Topic: Boards for 300lb folks?  (Read 25818 times)

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boards for 300lb folks?
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
I can recommend the Admundson Source.  11'10 x 34"  there was 270-280 lbs on it in this pic and it was very stable.  Surfed like any other board of similar size.  I've ridden the 11'6" NSP and an 11'10" Rusty without the dog :)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2014, 11:53:21 AM »
Thanks for the new Odysseus Pics, DJ.  Looks like a fun family and friends board and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger.  As long as I can outpaddle those short surfing sups on slow and sloppy waves, I'll be happy.  Funny, on the Naish site the picture still shows "ODYSSEY".

Good news for you then.

We have a few Odysseus's on "Sale"...

Call for Pricing...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
I don't think snarky replies are the answer.  Maybe you could use a photo editor to cut down the file size of the pictures you post.  They are too big and it's annoying to have to scroll to see the entire picture and to have your images take up so much real estate.  I'm using a fairly high screen resolution too.  Smaller files would make things more convenient for your customers.

Snark is in the eye of the beholder...double winky...;-) ;)

Regarding file size...I rarely look at this group on my tablet or smart phone...I'm using Google Chrome and my images do get re-sized for my display...for example, I knock them down from raw size to 1200 x 900...which is downloadable...but, the display size is 800 x 600...for the 667 x 1000 image of Kevin, the image is displayed at 535 x 800...so, it looks like Randy has the resize function for image attachments set at 800 pixel for width and 800 for height...

Ralph posted pics of the Odysseus at 1536 x 1152...but, they get re-sized on my screen at 800 wide...the same as my 1200 x 900 images...and, DJ embeds his images that display at 1024 x 767...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:02 PM »
As far as the surf shop in Santa Barbara not returning calls I doubt very much it was SUPsports. I dealt with SUPsports (Warren) on two different occasions. Once in 2007 I bought a Jimmy Lewis board nothing but excellent customer service. Communication was excellent better than most board arrived on time, well packaged no damage.

My last purchase (One World 11'1" carbon) was last month while Warren and his wife Deb were on a surfing vacation in Panama. Not only did they coordinate the order back to Santa Barbara with their employee's they keep following up communicating back to me all while they were on vacation. That's very rare in today's business. Not only did they follow up their employee's followed up with shipping info, etc. Again... very well packaged, on time, no damage with a free bonus t-shirt.

So I find it hard to believe SUPsports was the shop that didn't return your call.

Pic... new board.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »
Can we all please just kiss and make up? I think us hobbyists are smart enough to know that guys that own shops or brands are going to push what they have. We expect some hyperbole. You're all guilty at some level. We respect and appreciate your opinions but anyone that doesn't make their decisions based on their owe experiences is being foolish. We all also have to remember how subjective this is. That's why I always tell folks to demo when at all possible.

Back to the OP. I'm an expert on big guy boards, but we still haven't heard the answer to my 1st question (all the more reason the arguing is silly). What's the purpose of the board? I struggled on the 12-6 x 30 Starboard Cruiser at 1st but  only because of my balance issues. If I'm a BIG guy that wants a workout and balance therapy....no f'ing way I want 36 inches. Even I would have had it easy on a 12 x 36 behemoth and easy wasn't what I needed. There are a number of good stories here about big guys and SUP. The struggle I had on the 12-6 made normal life possible again and I went from somewhere around 315 to 240 and did the 1st CCBC 11 months after getting on a board for the 1st time. If that board was the wrong one I'd love to see the right one. I think most big guys who get hooked are going to outgrow (ironic twist needs help from PDX) one of the uber big boards pretty quick. Talk to Creek and you get a very different answer about what the right board was for him....moral of the story.....everyone is different.

And to top it all off we are all changing. 1st time on my South County 9er was a transformation. Changed everything...now I've come back to a board that I had pretty much written off...my 9-8 x 30 Element. It has me completely re-thinking my next board.

One thing I hope we can all agree on. Try taking the tone down a notch. Nobody wants the zone to be touchy feely PC less than I but we can try to keep it civil.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:17:51 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2014, 07:09:36 PM »
and when civility fails...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I honestly didn't have the heart to rickroll the lot of you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:14:51 PM by SlatchJim »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »
Yes Warren it was your store in Santa Barbara that I was referring to. My good friend Matt Rivers, who owns the Pumphouse Surf Shop in Orleans MA - and carries your products - had loaned me his personal board. I contacted your store to learn more - radio silence.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2014, 08:24:30 PM »
Yes Warren it was your store in Santa Barbara that I was referring to. My good friend Matt Rivers, who owns the Pumphouse Surf Shop in Orleans MA - and carries your products - had loaned me his personal board. I contacted your store to learn more - radio silence.

I'm not saying it's not possible...we are SUPer busy...but, why would we not respond?
We are in it to win it...not break even...or, occupy time...or, tread water...this is our main occupation...not a side biz for spending money...
We have state of the art technology...and, old school work ethics...
We're sending two boards to a guy in Florida because I answered the phone at 8:30 AM PST...our store doesn't open until 10 PST...
Our store closed at 5PM PST, and I just answered 5 emailed questions...nobody works harder to keep their customers stoked!

At least I haven't met anyone...;-) ;)

Seriously, think about it...because, I can't think of a single reason...especially, since Matt loves our boards and is a supporter...in fact, we have a lot of EST love..."radio silence"...not part of our DNA...not part of who we are...we have rock stars and billionaire clients...but, everyone gets treated the same...GOLDEN RULE in effect...

You don't have to post it here...but, please send a PM...all I need is a date, number, or name...and, I can look thru the archives and find out if a ball got dropped...or, not...there has to be an explanation...and, I have the technology in place to mitigate falling thru the cracks issues...

Believe me...we get dozens and dozens of inquiries from all over the world every single day...and, we respond to every single one...even if it's from Germany for some windsurf part that hasn't been made for 10 years...we have multiple communication channels going on...several email addies...several phone numbers...all of the social media channels...etc...we do get to every single one...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:26:55 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2014, 09:01:51 PM »
If that board was the wrong one I'd love to see the right one. I think most big guys who get hooked are going to outgrow (ironic twist needs help from PDX) one of the uber big boards pretty quick.
Sorry I overlooked this.  I was hanging out on the shaft threads, and the ones where guys are looking for boards for their wives.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 11:38:43 PM »
At my biggest as a SUP-er I was in the high 290s (peaked about 298) and I started out on a Starboard Atlas. It took me from first steps into first allround-class races and into surf (I still enjoy surfing it on small days) and with the tiedown points I've done some river touring too. First Race board was a 14 x 30 Custom DC (305 litres), now I have a 14x29 DC/NSP. First step-down surf SUP was  9'10 Allwave (bit of a love/hate relationship with this one), I am now on a 10'8 JP Fusion, seems to suit the fat, slow waves at my local a bit better. I also use my RED 12'6 x 30" "Race" inflatable quite a bit.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:41:06 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
Lots of cool info and recommendations on this thread... which is really the first thread I've read....here.

I'm going to be looking at getting a board in the next few months...most likely by Christmas time.  I currently weigh 260, but plan on getting down below 220 to stay.  I'm an athletic guy with good balance.  I tried SUP a couple of years ago, but don't remember which board I was using.... have been wanting to get into it regularly ever since then.

I live in southeast Texas... so there will be a lot of bay supping (Clear Lake/Galveston area)... some small waves in Galveston or Freeport.... but mostly smooth to small chop.

Is it going to make much of a difference if I pick up an allaround type board that can handle 250 no problem....  once I get down to around 210? 

Also, the small arguing and maybe boasting/bickering that occurred on this thread.... didn't really seem like that big of a deal to me... some people are just straight matter of fact.. others like to see a more demure approach.... being the internet, emotion and tone just don't come through properly.  Sorry for the rambling, just saying nothing has turned me off to anyone's opinion on this thread.

regards,

Bryan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal