Author Topic: Q: BIC 2012 C-Tec "PVC Sandwich" boards  (Read 2408 times)

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Q: BIC 2012 C-Tec "PVC Sandwich" boards
« on: August 22, 2014, 04:39:38 PM »
Does anyone have direct experience with the 2012 BIC C-Tec "pvc sandwich" boards?    Model wise it would be the 9'2'' Jet Wave12'0'' Ocean and 12'6'' Touring (click for links).

One person here had a issue with his 12'6" Touring: 
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,15909.msg144855.html
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,20557.msg212083.html#msg212083

Obviously it's only one person but Googling there isn't much information about this board period.   In theory the "PVC sandwich" should be more durable than a standard foam+glass board but as far as I can tell BIC only used this "pvc sandwich" method for one year in 2012.

I just bought one of the 12' Oceans' on closeout for a very good price but I've not picked it up yet and have the option of backing out.    I tried sending nepaddlesurf a PM/e-mail as he commented on the above thread but I've not got a reply,  doesn't look like he's logged in here since April.    While I can be careful I've borrowed boards for years from friends and I don't want a board that is sufficiently fragile that I can't return the favor without worrying that they may ding it.

Anyhow,  curious for comments from anyone who's owned one.   Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:47:04 PM by crazybrit »

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Q: BIC 2012 C-Tec "PVC Sandwich" boards
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:29:31 PM »
Bic's C-Tec boards are China-made, unlike their Ace-Tec which are produced in France at their own factory.  This means - in my opinion- less consistency, higher chance of "bad batch" boards.

My advice is to open the board in the shop when you pick it up, and look the board over closely before taking it home.  Inspect the bottom in the light & even with your hands... if it's full of pressure dents, probably not a good sign of long term durability. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:59:42 AM »
The Bic 12' Ocean board is a gem and you are lucky to find one.  IMO, one of the most under-rated boards of that year-class.  Great little pocket downwinder, surfs awesome, and quite fast.  About as fast as any sub 12-6.  The boards are well made...better than many other chinese boards.  The Ocean model was actually an Oxbow design, and when Bic bought out Oxbow, they kept it in production only one year before discontinuing it.  I suspect because the board really only worked for people 165lbs and under.  It is fairly tippy.  I bought out all the remaining stock at BIC Mass. warehouse when I discovered they were no longer going to be made.  Wish I still had one.

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »
The Bic 12' Ocean board is a gem and you are lucky to find one.  IMO, one of the most under-rated boards of that year-class.  Great little pocket downwinder, surfs awesome, and quite fast.  About as fast as any sub 12-6.  The boards are well made...better than many other chinese boards.  The Ocean model was actually an Oxbow design, and when Bic bought out Oxbow, they kept it in production only one year before discontinuing it.  I suspect because the board really only worked for people 165lbs and under.  It is fairly tippy.  I bought out all the remaining stock at BIC Mass. warehouse when I discovered they were no longer going to be made.  Wish I still had one.

Thanks. 

The site I bought if from listed the board as "For intermediates and above who are looking for versatile flatwater performance, Bic Sport C-Tec 12 ft. Stand Up Paddleboard supports paddlers up to 225 lbs. for fitness, touring and occasional surf" and that it's 33 pounds and 205 liters.   

After I ordered I found a copy of the BIC 2012 catalog which says "The PVC Sandwich boards are designed for advanced SUP riders in a wide range of surf and swell conditions" and the specs for the Ocean are 25 pounds and 185 liters.   There is also a BIC video on Youtube (google for "BIC Sport 12' Ocean youtube") where Jimmy recommends the board for 185 pounds or less.     

Unfortunately I'm 5' 10" 205 pounds.  I'd classify myself as intermediate-, definitely not advanced. I probably should be 180 pounds and I purchased the board primarily with flatwater (lake/river) fitness in mind but I've not been 180 pounds for quite a while.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:09:37 AM by crazybrit »

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:05:05 AM »
185 is doable on that board, but ideal is 135-165.  205 will not be fun.  All the PVC sandwich stuff I'd basically ignore.  Its a better than average epoxy Chinese board.  I don't know if its 25 lbs, but its pretty close. 

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »
185 is doable on that board, but ideal is 135-165.  205 will not be fun.  All the PVC sandwich stuff I'd basically ignore.  Its a better than average epoxy Chinese board.  I don't know if its 25 lbs, but its pretty close.

When I talked to the retailer about the inconsistencies in the specs they said they got the specs direct from BIC.   I might be able to get down to 185 but I'm never going to be less than this and if I'm not going to have fun on the board while I'm getting down to 185  I'm thinking I should call them and cancel.    Too bad as the rest of your comments on the board were really positive.

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »
I ended up keeping the board.  I only paid $650 for it ($1399 list).  Talked to Jimmy [Blakeney] and his advice was that the 180 pounds was for novices and I'd be fine (with practice) at my weight.    I must admit, based on raf's comments I doubted him (sorry Jimmy) but I took the board out for the first time this weekend and had a great time.  It was for sure more of a challenge than the wider all-rounder boards I'd used before but I wanted a board that was going to be more of a challenge as I'd found the all-rounders I'd rented/borrowed to be pretty boring.  Had a great time on it.   I definitely noticed the tippyness when dealing with the wake from passing tourist jet boats so it'll be a while before I'm out on the ocean/chop but that's ok.   I could tell at times that I was getting water over the deck so some weight loss wouldn't hurt either  ;D  Thanks for everyones advice.

Only issue was that I managed to break the fin.  I followed the instructions in the BIC Youtube video but I noticed towards the end that the board wasn't handling well so I tipped it over and the fin had snapped off right where the front screw hole/tab is.   I'd not hit anything.  The fin was hanging in the box by the rear pin with the screw and plate nowhere to be seen.  I took it back to REI and they wondered if I'd been given the right fin. What I had was an unmarked black fin whereas they said most of the BIC fins they'd seen were marked FCS.    Anyhow they gave me a 10" FCS/BIC fin at no cost. 

I tightened the screw just enough to prevent the fin sliding in the box,  not sure if I should have tightened more or if it was just a weird one off.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:59:51 PM by crazybrit »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal