Author Topic: Where do you store your keys while on-water?  (Read 13595 times)

Painterpatt02

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you store your keys while on-water?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
I have a Ford Flex. Keyless entry, lock em in it.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »
Warning:  At least in our area people was the beach goers "hide" their key on a tire etc.  Then, they get the key, steal stuff out of the vehicle.  The vehicle wasn't broken into, just unlocked, with the key.
A hitchsafe is what I use.

WhoIsPurpleGoo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
i have one of the new remote keys on my car (so the car senses it is near and doors unlock just by pressing a button and car starts just by pressing a button)

yeah thats great- but if you hide the keys within 5 feet of the car- someone can just walk up touch the door and unlock the car.

so i just bury them somewhere between the parking lot and the break- at least 30 feet from the car-  I have generally been able to remember their location.........

i also have a car with a proximity sensor key fob.  however, there's a button on it that releases a key.  if you lock the door with the key, the proximity sensor is disabled.  so i leave the fob in the glove box and put the key on the loop in my board shorts' pocket.

i even called the car's manufacturer because i didn't believe the person who told me.

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 09:48:09 PM »
 I bought one of those surf locks but my key is so huge due to the built in remote it doesn't fit. So my keys get locked in the truck and the spare is double bagged and then in a waterproof container in my PFD. Not ideal but it's worked so far.
~*Ginger*~

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »
I'd tell you... but then I'd have to .......

Yeah what a crazy post.  Anyone can see these.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
At first I used this video clip as advice on where to stash something valuable and small:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kngBtoylIVM

It kept things tight and I was getting lots of admiring looks from the ladies, but I was getting butt tired keeping it in position.

Now I just take a more practical approach and clip it to a small carabiner which is clipped onto a built-in loop in the pocket of my board shorts.  Sometimes I use a magnetic key box instead, but I think a better answer for me will be to use a hitch lock or one of the combination key holder locks already discussed that attaches to a point on the car such as the hitch or grill.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 01:39:34 AM »
I had a no-chip-dummy key made. Won't start the car, but can get wet and opens the door. I only buy board shorts with secure closing pocket and a key loop. Take the dummy with me and stash the real key.... in the vehicle.

Mostly I cheat big time. I belong to a beach club and put my stuff in a locker.  Probably go there 4 times in 5.  There is a lot to be said for a hot shower and cold draft after a session.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 06:27:58 AM »
I Stick my key in a small Aquapac, put the cord over my head then drop the pack down the inside of my rash-vest between/below my shoulder blades, then pull my wetsuit over.  You soon don't notice it's there and so little water gets down there, they stay really dry.  Really important for keys with electronics inside!

Done this for years, works a treat.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:44:40 AM by dingfix »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 08:05:26 AM »
In maui, a string around my neck. In HR, my truck is a Ford F350 with keyless entry. I lock the keys in the car.

The key spot no one uses is the one that most people don't realize they have--leashes have a key pocket. Almost all of them. That little piece of backwards velcro on your leash is the key pocket.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 08:21:54 AM »
I always wear a hydration pack, so they go in a tiny drybag in a pack pocket.  Keyless entry allows me to keep them there when loading and unloading and driving.

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
The key spot no one uses is the one that most people don't realize they have--leashes have a key pocket. Almost all of them. That little piece of backwards velcro on your leash is the key pocket.
Oh most people realize they have it....the only reason they don't use it, is that keys don't come curved to fit comfortable around the ankle while they're in it.  One and done was all I needed to know that that wasn't going to be going on again. :o

+whatever on the lock box hanging on the door handle....don't leave home without it.

Note:  Used to hang it on the tow bar receiver, up until the night that I got out of the water at Doho late, and not being parked near a light post...having the dang thing hanging below the van, made it too dark to see the numbers on the SOB.  Had to wait to flag down someone coming out to their car, to borrow their headlights to get my friggin key.

At least on the door handle, there is usually enough ambient light to see just enough to get it opened, after half a dozen tries or more.....that was until I figured out that when I lock it, I turn the four dials in a certain pattern, that when I come back, I can feel the little "clicks" in the dial, reverse the pattern count, and open it up....even with one eye closed if need be.  ;) :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
Like BTS .. just get a 'door open only' key and keep it in your baggies/wetsuit .. lock the active one inside the truck.  I also keep another 'open only' attached to the gas cap with velcro in case the ladies chasing me down the beach (in my dreams) get my baggies. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »
Here is how some do it - find the key
 8)

Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 11:35:09 AM »
I've used this for the last 5 years.
Works great, I just lock it to the grill of my car.

I have one of these too, though I almost never use it because the guy heading the group I go out with offers to store everyone's keys/phones in his vehicle. The lock is solid but "fits five keys" is somewhat of a lie. It can probably fit 5 keys but if like most human beings the top of your car key is molded and comes with an alarm fob and you've attached two pounds of other crap (loyalty cards, charms, etc) it's not squeezing in there. As I learned from my group leader, it's best to detach just the fob and place that inside.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »
At first I used this video clip as advice on where to stash something valuable and small:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kngBtoylIVM

It kept things tight and I was getting lots of admiring looks from the ladies, but I was getting butt tired keeping it in position.

Now I just take a more practical approach and clip it to a small carabiner which is clipped onto a built-in loop in the pocket of my board shorts.  Sometimes I use a magnetic key box instead, but I think a better answer for me will be to use a hitch lock or one of the combination key holder locks already discussed that attaches to a point on the car such as the hitch or grill.
This is my most favorite movie 'speech' ever.  Most screenwriters never put down that much uninterrupted dialogue so this was a brave departure but turned out fantastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal