Author Topic: Racks On Small Cars  (Read 2123 times)

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Racks On Small Cars
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm currently carrying my board on top of a full size pickup butI know some of you carry your boards on smaller vehicles.  I'd like to get racks for my Camry but was wondering about transporting say a 12' board on smaller vehicles.  It looks like I'll only have a 24" - 30" spread on the racks.  Any tips on doing this?  Nose and tail lines and how to fasten?  Will my Camry become airborn going 75 westbound through the Gorge?

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Racks On Small Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Not the smallest car here but our go to sup schlepper is a 2012 Mazda 3.  Mazda's have attachment points built into the roof that receive Thule and Yakima racks set up for that, and they are significantly more stationary that the 4 sets of Yakima's I've had on Camry, Corolla, Land Cruiser, and Explorer.  I love the Aero Thule bars we have on now.  Nearly no added road noise or drop in MPG.

The standard spread is 27 inches for the Mazda and i think it's very close to that on the Camry.  A carefully installed (by owner) clip on rack system will be good at normal fwy speeds for 3 to 4 average boards.  Use your best judgement with the wind.  Yakima and Thule both sell stabilizer gear for long loads.

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
Last year at the Battle of the Paddle, it looked to me like some people were purposely trying to carry enormous boards on tiny cars.  I swear I saw more than one Mini Cooper carrying an unlimited.   I think they were going for comical effect, and it worked, but it also looked plenty safe for transport.
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

Stealthyc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
I have a Mini Clubman and don't worry at all about carrying two 12'6 boards on it.   My previous car was an Acura RSX.  It needed a Yakima rack with a "stretch kit" (only system available that would work on that car).  Once we installed it, it was solid, and I never worried about carrying boards on that either.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 06:54:10 PM »
It will be fine..

Or you can do this.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=5911.0

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
this sort of foam block works well on smaller car roofs:
http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2111&idcategory=134

also i've used a doubled over yoga mat and straps through the windows, and end ties to the bumper if going on the freeway.
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 02:01:00 AM »
Had a Camry with after market Thule racks...over 20 years ago.  Don't remember the roof line being all that short. No problem on multiple trips from Olympia to the event site or wherever. I think I was riding a 9-10 back then.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for all the info!  DavidJohn, Great idea!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal