Author Topic: Transporting board and bags  (Read 3720 times)

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Transporting board and bags
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
Hi.

I just bought my first SUP board (12').    I've always rented or borrowed before. 

Couple of transportation questions.   I tried using the search feature but I ended up wading through a bunch of false positives.

1.  We'll be transporting the board everywhere by car.  Subaru wagon with a Yakima roof rack with the round rails (link to picture).        Can I strap the board directly to the rails using some form of padding,  or should I be investing in a SUP specific carrying attachment which mounts to the rails?

2. Do I need a bag?  I'm going to fab up some hanging brackets to hang the board from the garage wall,  I imagine permanently storing the board inside a bag (inside the garage) isn't a great idea.   I won't be flying with the board,  so I don't think I would need a heavily padded bag but is something lightweight (sock?) for protection when on the car a good idea?

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Transporting board and bags
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »
Bags are worth every dime. As a reforming non-bag user I had a hard time justfying the cost until I thought about it, most damage to a surfboard happens out of the water. Protect the investment.

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
Bags are worth every dime. As a reforming non-bag user I had a hard time justfying the cost until I thought about it, most damage to a surfboard happens out of the water. Protect the investment.

So are you permanently storing the board inside a bag (when stored at home)?   And using the same bag when transporting the board on the car roof?

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
Not sure how much you paid for your board, but I concur with Old School.  If I'm gonna spend over $1500 on a board, the $200 for a bag is a no-brainer.  My worst dings have usually been in transport and racking them in the garage.  The bag also protects from sun exposure and heat on the roof of the car--as well as protecting from the straps themselves.

In the bag all the time--unless I'm on the water with it.  Can't see why it wouldn't be a good idea to keep it in a bag when racked in the garage.  It only takes a few minutes after a session to wet it, wipe it down and bag it.  In the event it's a little wetter than normal when I put it away, I'll open the zipper a ways after I rack it in the garage.

I don't think it's necessary to invest in one of those fancy SUP rigs on the roof of your car--I just wrap the round Yakima bars with pipe insulation foam, cover it with black duct tape and strap things down to them.

Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »
I have 30" wide round surf pads around the crossbar.

These are my daily transport board bags...

http://www.victorykoredry.com/victory_koredry_topless_boardbag.html

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
Yes on a bag.

And these.
http://www.dakine.com/p/surf/rack-accessories/rack-pad

And these.
http://www.dakine.com/p/surf/rack-accessories/baja-tie-down-straps?clr=BLACK

Thanks for the above product suggestions.  Appreciated.    I assume "yes on bag" means a bag with padding even though I won't be letting any airlines at it.

The board I have is pretty narrow (and 12').  All the bags I've seen are more "one width fits all" for a given length.    I need to search again as I recall there are some threads (members here maybe) who make fairly inexpensive custom bags which might work better.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
1.) Don't let your wet board sit in the bag. Let it dry first, then bag it. A moldy, stinky deck pad is what you will get.

2.) If it rains on your board bag, don't leave your board in it. Fresh water (for some reason) will cause the clear coat on your board to fog. It looks like milky white blotches all over. See the attached picture. 2 weeks later, and the damage is done. Some of it dried out and when away, but not all of it. Let the bag dry out thoroughly before sticking your board in it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
http://www.midnightproducts.net/id20.html

Buy it once, buy it right and get the crying out of the way.

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
http://www.midnightproducts.net/id20.html

Buy it once, buy it right and get the crying out of the way.

Yes, this is one of the custom places I'd seen mentioned (previous post).    I've also seen Vitamin Blue mentioned.     Not sure if there are any others?

Just under $200 back in 2011.  Probably more now http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=11578.0

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 02:56:49 PM »
I store and transport in a cargo van. No bag needed, security alarm, everything always in the van ready to use. My van is mainly used for surfing or towing a trailer. I have a volt for non surfing adventures or checking out the surf. One car is never going to meet all my transportation needs.

Seems like every bag I own has a broken zipper.

micksmith

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
Just be aware if you store your board wet in a board bag your board may blister due to osmosis, just ensure zip is left open in storage. Bags are worth it.

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:16:41 PM »
Additional question..... Do you place the paddle inside the board bag also?
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »
Bags are great if your board is dry and has to sit on top of your car for a long while. They are also awesome if you store your board not on a rack but on the floor next to your bikes. Other than that bags kind of suck. They add at least 7 pounds to the weight of transport, you have to put them somewhere when your board not in them, its is a tough chore to put your board in and out of the bag and they really don't cut the heat that much.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal