Author Topic: Waterlogged Board  (Read 10952 times)

rg15

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Waterlogged Board
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
I'm sure there is a thread on this already but I'm having a hard time finding one.

I have had a waterlogged board for some time and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem. Specifically if there is a good way to drain it. Just trying to get as much water out of it as possible before the epoxy filling.

I am not looking to fully repair it as I would like to get a new board soon, but it would be nice to keep it from taking on more water than it already has. Its a decent board and its 240L volume makes it great to take the dog on. Side note, will a waterlogged board decrease it's volume? If so, how much? Curious to see if using it has been improving my balance because my next board will most likely have 25-30% less volume (possibly decided on the Nalu 10'6)

Thanks for the help!

2011 YOLO Board Coastal Cruiser 12'0 x 32"
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9'5" x 32.25"
2016 Fanatic Allwave 9'4" x 33"

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlogged Board
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
If on the rail near the nose, for example, lay it on the rail with the tail slightly higher than the nose.  In other words, make the crack/ding the lowest point.  It will take a while, may be even a day or two, for the water to drain out.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »
If on the rail near the nose, for example, lay it on the rail with the tail slightly higher than the nose.  In other words, make the crack/ding the lowest point.  It will take a while, may be even a day or two, for the water to drain out.

A day or two? More like a week or two. I mean if it is 'waterlogged', drill a hole near the tail or end that has the most water. You can tell by holding the board by the handle. If the tail or nose drops, that's where the bulk of the water is. Leave the board out in the sun all day for as long as it needs to drain. Lean it on an angle so the water will drain out that end. Mine is sitting on the racks on my truck right now, drying out. I've been through this routine probably 20 times if not more. My board still weighs about the same as when it was new. While the board is out to dry and getting it hot, listen and look for all the places it is leaking. Little pin holes will make a high pitched noise. Mark them with a pencil. The bigger leaks will be obvious.
Once there are no more signs of water dripping out, patch it up.

BTW, you can do this at anytime with any board you suspect is 'waterlogged', even if it appears to be water tight. 

If it's a 100 deg's out and all black carbon, I'd leave it in the shade.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:36:04 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
+1 on what TallDude said.  Takes a long time to get water out.  Even after the dripping stops, there can still be alot in there.  Best way to get that out is to stuff a Kleenex or paper towel in the hole with a lot hanging out.  Put it in the sun with the hole up high and it'll wick out the water vapor as it rises.  You'll know there's water in it because it'll get wet.  Keep changing the tissue with a dry one and when it doesn't get wet anymore you know you're good.

Not that I've done it, but I do know people who weigh boards new and write it down so they know if they're taking on water.  I don't know the answer to your question about volume, but I'd have to think there would be a little less buoyancy if you're waterlogged, but I can't imagine it would be as significant as a 25% reduction--that would mean there would have to be something like 60l of water in your board--which would make it very hard to lift.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

LakeRat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:21:56 PM »
I came across this when I had a waterlogged board I was deciding what to do about:
http://www.boardlady.com/waterextraction.htm

In the end though I took it to a shop.  It still isn't perfect but it is good enough.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »
The OP will freak out seeing water percolating out of the ding hole!

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
To fully dry out for a proper repair, it can take months..

You need it upside down first, ding lowest point and when the liquid has drained off, you need the ding at the highest point, so the rest will evaporate.

Boardlady.com will tell you all you need to know.

My K15 took months to dry out fully and it wasn't even waterlogged.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
If you SUS you know the board is going to get abused every time you go out. So you need to look at your board after every session. I just leave it in the sun, usually the ride home, un-bagged on my racks. Then I'll leave it there for and extra 30 min. or so in the sun. If I don't see or hear any leaks, I know I good.
A cracked or separated fin box is a sneaky one. Board looks good, but the glass is no longer attached to the fin box. To big of a leak to make a noise too.   

It's rare I ever have an issue with my distance boards. If I do a race with a beach (through the waves) start and finish, then I'll check the board. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

rg15

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help! I'll get started on draining it, hopefully it won't take months. I usually see water bubbling out of it for a week after its been in the water and it tends to get lighter, but it is nowhere close to its original weight. Plus it has got to be at least 40lbs after every session and that haul is getting a bit ridiculous.
2011 YOLO Board Coastal Cruiser 12'0 x 32"
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9'5" x 32.25"
2016 Fanatic Allwave 9'4" x 33"

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
You can force dry it.. I build a poly tent with tape and put an electric oil filled heater under the whole where you've got you're paper towel sticking out. You have to go carefully though.

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help! I'll get started on draining it, hopefully it won't take months. I usually see water bubbling out of it for a week after its been in the water and it tends to get lighter, but it is nowhere close to its original weight. Plus it has got to be at least 40lbs after every session and that haul is getting a bit ridiculous.
Good gosh, "at least 40lbs"....that's a lot of water.  :o

Considering saltwater weighs about 8.5lbs/per gallon, and even going heavy saying the board weighed 31.5lbs new...that's at least a gallon of water hidden in there.

Just for myself, it seems to take weeks to get a few ounces of water out of a board....either that, or I have some really slow repair guys.  :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
rg

Once whatever water is coming out comes out the wet foam is soft and the humidity in the board will make a water tight repair quite hard.  The BEST you can hope for is "Alright" as long as your epectations are low. Gravity will take weeks to months to get water out through a ding hole.

Don't pull the trigger on the Naish until you talk to me...if you can
JimK

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »
I like to add wicking. In the hole you drill to drain water, roll a paper tower and stuff it into the hole. The paper exposed
to the atmosphere will draw water from the hole and evaporate. When the paper is dry, wicking is complete. It may take a long time to get it all. You might weigh the board to see progress and compare it to new board weight.
Go get your replacement now so you can stay on the water. Using your board before you get the water out only extends the problem. If you have to use it, then seal the hole with wax or duct tape, but you would be better off letting it dry out.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
I agree, get another board if you can. If your board is that waterlogged its gonna take a long time to dry.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »
 My local ding fixer has a shipping container that sits out side in the sun. 

He opens up the water logged area and leaves the board in the container to bake. I have an ACE that was taking in water through the end of the drain holes. It took 4 weeks to dry out

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal