Author Topic: Adjustable paddle advice  (Read 6546 times)

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Adjustable paddle advice
« on: August 21, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
I'd appreciate any advice from people here who are more experienced.  I'm not stuck on CF,  I'll happily get a cheaper fiberglass one,  I've just not been able to find one that is well reviewed.  I was hoping to spend around $150.

I can get this Wai adjustable CF paddle for <$160 here in town:

http://www.waistanduppaddleboards.com/paddles/wai-adjustable-black-carbon-fiber-pvc-edge-paddle/

The locking mechanism on that Wai looks like the type used on standard extendable poles,  I'm more familiar with the style that use a pull-out collar such as this (see small pics under "more views"):

http://checkout.supatx.com/sup-paddles/adjustable-carbon-fiber-sup-paddle.html

I guess SUP/ATX also sells a cheaper SUP/USA line at Costco,   their support guy said construction was identical but the /ATX blade was a better design than the /USA

http://www.costco.com/SUP-USA-Stand-Up-Paddle-Board-Carbon-Fiber-Adjustable-Length-Paddle--.product.100089979.html

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:06:40 AM by crazybrit »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Adjustable paddle advice
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »
The price is certainly right, and buying direct certainly lowers cost. But the quality is a bit of an unknown. It's important that the shaft be high quality with good quality control. Breaking a shaft is both unpleasant and potentially dangerous. Lots of shafts advertised as carbon are just fiberglass with one layer of carbon on top. The carbon stiffens the shaft a little, but it's not going to be a strong marriage. Ke Nalu experimented with shafts that were 60 percent carbon and I didn't think much of the result. I don't think Lane offers those anymore. Unidirectional carbon like the Ke Nalu xTuf shafts lends itself to mixing with fiberglass to control the flex, and they are extremely strong as long as the carbon layer is not damaged.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »
The price is certainly right, and buying direct certainly lowers cost. But the quality is a bit of an unknown. It's important that the shaft be high quality with good quality control. Breaking a shaft is both unpleasant and potentially dangerous.

Indeed.  $50 saved will probably seem like a rather poor choice when you're drifting with the current  ;D

Any brand/model suggestions for a durable adjustable paddle,  light weight (for touring) which also floats?   It doesn't need to be carbon fiber.  I'll happily trade a half dozen ounces for durability/peace of mind though obviously any paddle can break so you need to be prepared.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:09:33 AM by crazybrit »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
Uncle Wong has plenty of those but you might find that 5000 pieces is the minimum order

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »
Kialoa Insanity Fiberglass Adjustable, $209

Kialoa Insanity Carbon if you want it a bit lighter, $259

MADE IN USA amigo. 

They adjust 70-86" so everyone is covered.  Happy to give you a good deal & ship to you if you don't have a good local dealer.  Just PM me.

Cheers mate. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
Kialoa Insanity Fiberglass Adjustable, $209
Thanks for the recommendation.  much appreciated.  1lb 11oz is plenty light.   Looks like it's sold at REI so I can just pick it up from the local store

http://www.rei.com/item/868029/kialoa-insanity-adjustable-stand-up-paddle

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »
And the Leverlock is a pretty good adjustment system too (I would stick to that or 2pin flip clamp based system),

I'd :) stay away from click pin adjustment systems, most get rickety after a few months or are typically heavyweight
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

pugsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 03:49:27 PM »
If you can get your hands on a Kialoa Pupu (the green blade). You get a slightly heavier paddle than the Insanity, but due to this paddle not being continued, it's being sold for dirt cheap in many places.

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
If you can get your hands on a Kialoa Pupu (the green blade). You get a slightly heavier paddle than the Insanity, but due to this paddle not being continued, it's being sold for dirt cheap in many places.

Thanks for the suggestion.     I just tried my google-fu for 30 mins with no luck, all sold out :(  Looks like REI had the 2013 Pulu on closeout for $150.  I expect they'll closeout the Insanity too but I'd like to have a paddle this season.

Yeah, 1oz heavier than the insanity,  with the same 70-86" adjustment range.   Would be ideal.   Just need to find one.

Hiker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
I have the Kialoa Insanity Fiberglass adjustable. I am experienced enough in SUP to compare it to other good brand paddles but I do have quite a few kayak paddles from low to high end and the build quality appears very good. I like the adjustment mechanism as well. It floats but can get a little water in it.

I had questions for one of the reps and he was great. I get a good hit from the company.

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
I went Insane  ;)     Thanks for all the help guys!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
Here's my 2 cents: 

The adjustment mechanism and overall construction of the Kialoa PuPu is good, and these are durable.  Our local shop provides these with rentals and they seem to hold up well.  I found the blade to have too much flex for any type of hard paddling, and I would not use one in the surf. I did try one to catch some small waves, and found it flexed way too much to be a practical surf paddle. For a basic flatwater cruiser at a reasonable price, this is a decent paddle.

I own a fixed length SUP ATX paddle that I purchased as a spare/occasional use paddle to keep at my dad's place on the east coast. I bought it based on price and free shipping, and for what I paid it's OK.  That said, I do not like this paddle at all.  It's very heavy and very stiff, and the blade design is terrible. The blade area is too large, and the wide, square blade makes paddle stokes inefficient and adds a lot of strain to elbows and shoulders. It is very tough, but in my opinion this is a price point item, and I'd be very worried about performance and construction of their adjustment mechanism. I would not recommend a SUP ATX paddle to anyone.

The best adjustable paddle I've ever used is a Werner Nitro 3-piece adjustable.  Aside from a slightly higher weight than my fixed length Nitro, there is no noticeable difference in the performance of the adjustable 3-piece unit.  The shaft connections are tight, are precisely made and absolutely work.  The adjustable ferrule system is simple, strong and precise.  Most importantly, the Nitro is a superbly designed paddle, and the manufacturing is top notch.  These are also available in a 2-piece model which are a bit lighter and less expensive than the 3-piece models.  The Werner Carve is the same basic blade design as the Nitro, but sold at a lower price point in a carbon/fiberglass blend shaft and fiberglass blade.  These are available in 2 and 3-piece adjustable styles, and would be my choice for a reasonably priced, strong performing adjustable paddle.

Having tried many different paddles (including several of my own design and construction) over the 6+ years I've been involved in this sport, I offer the following advice:  Buy the best paddle you can afford and you will be rewarded with better performance and a more satisfying experience.  My 3 everyday paddles were all purchased used from the classified section of this forum.  All were in great condition, and at a very good savings over new.  If you are constrained by budget, save money by buying a well-cared for used paddle instead of a lower quality one.

crazybrit

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
I picked up the Kialoa Insanity paddle today.    Managed to get it for $177.   I'm seriously impressed which is weird as it's just a paddle but it's obvious some careful thought has gone into designing it.   Pretty light and the blade/shaft seem well balanced.   Looking forward to getting out on it.   I didn't realize the company was based fairly close to me in Bend.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal