Author Topic: Downwind boards on a lake. How absurd is that?  (Read 14035 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind boards on a lake. How absurd is that?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 12:28:59 AM »
Nice vid SUPUK.........seem to be turning that board very easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I built that dw board with fun being the main thing in mind. Without meaning to sound big headed im normally the fastest out of every one i dw with and with no races i may as well have as much fun dw'ing as i can rather than going super fast and waiting around more.  Relatively narrow with plenty of rocker but with a low CoG makes it super stable and for a lot of the uk condition we paddle which are normally wind driven swell this board is super fun as its turns like  long board.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 05:17:54 AM »
Actually we mostly get the opposite your typical nice clean zero fetch growing swell one imagines on a lake. Our strong wind is North Easterly which grows over about 40miles then funnels into progressively narrower shores and and shallower bottoms. Doubles up the waves and fun in a crazy kind of way. We do get winds the other way enjoy the nice clean growing waves even if smaller. Either way we end up at beaches where we'll find people out surfing.

supuk,
In winter board rental places are closed and their owners on distant tropical shores so best BYO or give our gang a shout.  The NE winds are predictable and well forecasted ahead of time. Windfinder is pretty accurate for here. The SW winds are flakey so ignore those forecasts.   

I've been sailing off Hayling Island BTW, so I've been in those waters.

For a road trip we've been eyeing Lago di Garda which get a powerful dawn wind down one way, stop for brunch, let it pick up the other way and downwind back. Haven't done it yet. The Med is the same distance and oh so much warmer once summer is gone so we tend to gravitate there for trips.

A10,
Waves are like that here too. Will let you know how the V2 goes.    (BTW There is a fixed fin one in my area since July !- I saw it arrive, but it's not in our gang). I'm passing my beloved M14 to a new gang member and inheriting a Rogue Rage which has less nose rocker so will see how that goes in the gnarl. Part of my prep to see if I am Javelin-ready.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 07:42:33 AM »
Actually we mostly get the opposite your typical nice clean zero fetch growing swell one imagines on a lake. Our strong wind is North Easterly which grows over about 40miles then funnels into progressively narrower shores and and shallower bottoms. Doubles up the waves and fun in a crazy kind of way. We do get winds the other way enjoy the nice clean growing waves even if smaller. Either way we end up at beaches where we'll find people out surfing.

supuk,
In winter board rental places are closed and their owners on distant tropical shores so best BYO or give our gang a shout.  The NE winds are predictable and well forecasted ahead of time. Windfinder is pretty accurate for here. The SW winds are flakey so ignore those forecasts.   

I've been sailing off Hayling Island BTW, so I've been in those waters.

For a road trip we've been eyeing Lago di Garda which get a powerful dawn wind down one way, stop for brunch, let it pick up the other way and downwind back. Haven't done it yet. The Med is the same distance and oh so much warmer once summer is gone so we tend to gravitate there for trips.

A10,
Waves are like that here too. Will let you know how the V2 goes.    (BTW There is a fixed fin one in my area since July !- I saw it arrive, but it's not in our gang). I'm passing my beloved M14 to a new gang member and inheriting a Rogue Rage which has less nose rocker so will see how that goes in the gnarl. Part of my prep to see if I am Javelin-ready.

Sound good would be a great little dw spot to visit and would be really keen to do so. Could do cheap weekend trips if there are boards to rent with flight from gatwick to geneva being very cheap and quick or driving with boards but that is a little more painful and needs a few more people to make it viable.  Garda is a loverly spot but i havant been there since paddle boarding came about.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »
Nice vid SUPUK.........seem to be turning that board very easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I built that dw board with fun being the main thing in mind. Without meaning to sound big headed im normally the fastest out of every one i dw with and with no races i may as well have as much fun dw'ing as i can rather than going super fast and waiting around more.  Relatively narrow with plenty of rocker but with a low CoG makes it super stable and for a lot of the uk condition we paddle which are normally wind driven swell this board is super fun as its turns like  long board.

Think you have said before you use a Fatboy fin .....what size you using?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 04:55:53 AM »
yes its a fatboy i forget if its the 9 or 10"

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:50:58 AM »

I was thinking in trying one for my M14 but not sure if I can get away with a 9 inch one. I am about 90 kg.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
I'm surprised you guys like the Fatboy... I would counter that you need more area at the base closest to the fin box to generate more "lift".
I my experience, a higher aspect fin slows you down too much, and with some boards, can increase broaching. 

I use an Aercor (Larry Allison/Jeremy Riggs creation) with my V2 Glide.  It allows max acceleration AND steering with minimal strokes. Perfect for short period steep lake waves. 
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »
I'm surprised you guys like the Fatboy... I would counter that you need more area at the base closest to the fin box to generate more "lift".
I my experience, a higher aspect fin slows you down too much, and with some boards, can increase broaching. 

I use an Aercor (Larry Allison/Jeremy Riggs creation) with my V2 Glide.  It allows max acceleration AND steering with minimal strokes. Perfect for short period steep lake waves.

Very interesting looking fins those....have you tried a few?

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 02:45:24 AM »
Yes.   As in I have one on my 2012 (v2) 14' glide right now.   It is an excellent match for that board - you can steer it downwinding with a sweep of your paddle. 
It's a very fast fin, but does not contribute any stability when flat water paddling.

I'm pretty sure DJ has one too, though I'm not sure if he's been using it as he seems to like the stock fins on his new Naish's.   

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »

I was thinking in trying one for my M14 but not sure if I can get away with a 9 inch one. I am about 90 kg.

which ever i had i wished i had gone smaller i will try and remember to measure it tomorrow.

with down winding im not sure you are really going at high enough angles for lift to really come into play, maybe on the odd occasion but not like with surfing. There great fins that wont break the bank and work nice on the rounded pins.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
Hey SUPUK.......picked up an FCS Fatboy fin cheaper than normal so will et you know how I get on.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 03:09:29 AM »
SUPUK and Area 10 - I tried the Fatboy fin and didn't like it. Now to be fair it wasn't on a downwinder but I took it out on very small surf and for a paddle around the bay iin light winds. Straight away it felt like I was paddling slower than my tracker fin. I expected it to be slower but not as bad as that - the board felt sluggish. Now if it is like that on the flats it will most definitely be slower on the wave. You would need a decent swell and wind behind you to not notice the drag IMHO. 

Now...to be honest...when I first heard about using these types of fin I was very sceptical. I used to longboard and these types of fin were always used to slow the board down and provide hold...hence I never really thought they would work for me on a SUP. Yes they are stable and yes they turn but big no no on the speed thing. My other 10 inch longboard fin was still faster...but not as fast as my Jimmy Lewis tracker fin which is going back on.

I would still consider using one of the more standard race/downwind fins eg the Futures...but happy to stick with the stock fin...it suits the board...in time I will of course get the urge to change again ;)

I picked up the fin cheaper so no big loss. Worth a bash anyway 8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 03:18:50 AM »
I've used a Hatchet fin on the M14 and liked it

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 06:36:27 AM »
Good to change fins around - find for yourself what you like or not.  ;D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
I've used a Hatchet fin on the M14 and liked it
Me too. It's pretty good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal