Author Topic: Heat damage to a board and what to expect?  (Read 2073 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Heat damage to a board and what to expect?
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:22:45 AM »
I was at a local shop checking out an Amundson 14' TRT yesterday (has anyone tried this thing out yet?) and a shop employee told me it was on sale because of some 'slight' damage on the bottom. The damage resulted from the board resting against a hot water pipe which caused an indent about a finger width wide, and a few millimetres deep running for almost the entire width of the board close to the midpoint.  I'm wondering how much this will impact hydro dynamics, and if the structural integrity of the board is now compromised. The shop hand called it minor and I thought it was a bit more damage than just minor. I know a picture would help, but just think a line running the width of the board around the midpoint that is a finger width wide and a few mms deep.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Heat damage to a board and what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
Throw a strip of duct-tape on it and off you go!  ;)  All kidding aside, it will affect it, but how much is hard to say...  Paddle on,  JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:27:52 AM »
Opportunity? Sounds like a hard sell for the shop. If you're bargain hunting then I'd talk them down more. Take it out for a test mile or two and see what pace you get? Take a picture and send it to a repair guy (kind wish they had a repair forum here), see if he/she could smooth it out.

It could make you faster, then everyone will be burning their boards on hot water pipes.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:15:56 AM »
...a line running the width of the board around the midpoint that is a finger width wide and a few mms deep...

...unfortunately, will likely be where the board breaks. 

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:34:53 AM »
The shop has knocked 600 frog skins off the list price, but I don't think it's even worth that with the damage, and there might be too much risk involved. I would want to get it fixed and I would have it professionally done, which wouldn't be cheap. I'm not sure if it's the right shape for me either. Usually Amundson has multiple reviews online for their boards, but I can't find a single one for the 14 TRT and it's been out for awhile now. 

To delve further into this topic, I have a friend who got a good used deal on a board, and I noticed what looks to be heat damage on her board. The damage is a sunken/concave area a couple inches across, about a half inch deep and it runs for a few feet the parallel to the rail . Not sure if it was there when purchased or if it happened since, but it's obvious when you run your hand on it, and look on an angle. Having a single concave well off the centre of the board is going to have an impact on handling you would think. I feel bad for her because the board was bought in another province and has been paddled a few times now.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:08 AM »
What you are talking about is fairly unique.  Heat damage to boards almost always a blister, not a concavity.  Blisters are from the board getting so hot that air pressure inside the board forces the fiberglass away from the foam. 

Resting the board against a hot pipe is causing very localized damage.  If the glass in that area doesn't feel any more spongy than the glass around it, then I would say the damage is cosmetic and don't worry about it.  If you decide to fix it, its about as easy of a repair as you could want.  A strip of fiberglass and some epoxy filler and your are set.  I'd take it at $600 off in a heartbeat if you like the board otherwise.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 08:08:52 AM »
What you are talking about is fairly unique.  Heat damage to boards almost always a blister, not a concavity.  Blisters are from the board getting so hot that air pressure inside the board forces the fiberglass away from the foam. 

Resting the board against a hot pipe is causing very localized damage.  If the glass in that area doesn't feel any more spongy than the glass around it, then I would say the damage is cosmetic and don't worry about it.  If you decide to fix it, its about as easy of a repair as you could want.  A strip of fiberglass and some epoxy filler and your are set.  I'd take it at $600 off in a heartbeat if you like the board otherwise.

Thanks for the input raf. It would be just a matter of looking at it again and asking for a demo. It didn't feel overly soft in the damaged area but I wasn't pressing hard either. As far as the design of the board goes, I'm not sure either. It doesn't have much rocker, but that doesn't tell the whole story as far as performance goes in varied conditions.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
raf is correct...heat causes a localized blister...discoloration...delamination...that sounds like compression damage...a pallet or other heavy object was leaned or stacked against it...

We've seen heat damage from people leaning boards up against tail pipes with car running...space heaters...garage floor heaters...truck beds with broken mufflers...etc...

The board is obviously not going to be used in surf...so, I wouldn't worry about it snapping...a localized fix is going to be apparent, if that's an issue...to make it look pretty and/or racier, a slanted stripe could be painted on after the void is filled and faired...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal