Author Topic: DLNR PUBLIC MEETING RE: REGULATION OF SUPS IN SURFZONES  (Read 9884 times)

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DLNR PUBLIC MEETING RE: REGULATION OF SUPS IN SURFZONES
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
Here we go . For ALL SUPers who live in Hawaii, please check this out and if you live on oahu show up , and overwhelm these punks !!

Look at the web page , it was so agonizing to read and watch their stupid video on how BAD supers are.

they want to ban ALL sups from Ala moana to Kewalos on Wed , Friday, and Sunday from 3 pm to 9 pm !!  They call it a pilot program !!!  where is next north shore ??  Laniakeas, Chuns , Leftovers ??  FRICKEN CRAZY !!!

I gotta go to work so I don't have time to chime in . But I will later today.

http://www.safesurfhawaii.com/

Also its not the board at all.

No one would object to the board without the paddle.

its just the paddle.

so even if we were talking a danger youd have to limit it to the paddle only because we have already established that it isnt the board.

Who in the world is going to be hurt by a minor paddle tap or a floating paddle.

Zero.

The board is smaller and never objected to by itself.

Its about being able to sit outside the lineup.

Which is funny because on the short SUP's you cant anyways.

I sit inside of the longboarders alot because I like a steeper face or need one.

Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Riviera nugg 9'2" (Retired)
Coreban Vibe 8'0" (Retired)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »
On my 8'er I'm well inside most longboarders.

This is so ridiculous. I hate assholes that push their agenda hidden inside some fake packaging. He'll be running for political office soon.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »
http://m.kitv.com/news/sup-riders-respond-to-attorneys-call-for-regulation/27676336

If you read this article closely and check out our other local media you will notice that not only has this guy pissed off standup surfers but all surfers.  Also, unfortunately for him he has attracted the attention of many of the local Da Hui regulators and if you note the tone of the comments he has really struck a nerve. 

I am not sure what this guy plans to do but it doesn't appear like it will work out the way he wanted it to.  The DLNR stated that they have to have open hearings; however, they won't do anything without a unanimous agreement.  Additionally, the DLNR is not a law making entity and they most likely would be stretched thin providing the resources it would take to even carry out a ban like this.  Either way I have no doubt the elementary school will be packed and I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 01:05:06 AM »
DLNR are wrong when they say they have to set up public meetings when people complains. They can easily wait until there feels like there is more than one person. THis is just a waste of time and resources.

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 03:41:18 AM »
IMO... that was a good news report on the issue... it showed SUP's being surfed well, not some newbie flailing away, and Da Hui members were well spoken and thoughtful on the issue.

My favorite quotes:
Da Hui:
"Don't be hiding behind the safety issue if you can't catch waves,” said Stevenson. “Get a better board (or) get in better shape, you know what I'm saying?"

“If you're not catching waves out at an advanced spot, maybe you should go somewhere that you can catch waves."

DLNR:
“What do the surfers think?" ha ha ha

I'm glad it's being challenged in Hawaii, where a prestigious group like Da Hui is supporting SUP's right to surf anywhere.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 09:59:59 AM »
If the native Hawaiian community shows up and plays the cultural practices card, this thing is DOA.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
LOL!!  What a goober.....I'm sure there's an "attorney joke" in there somewhere. 

One word for the guy, "a-hole"..... >:(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

dontblamemyboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:55:19 AM »
id like to make signs that support our cause, id love to get some phrases that say it all, btw i posted in the general discussion too, ive come up with several like:

no blame my paddleboard
we SUP you SUCK
its aint the board
no hate no regulate

Aloha.

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
its fun to make fun of this turd but theres a bigger issue here, the sup surf fight is coming, this is a good test of what could happen.

However in Socal, unlike hawaii, and i may be wrong, but it sure feels like we have the opposite vibe towards sup surf, and our version of Da Hui (middle aged aggro white fat longboarders) are NOT on our side. That came out wrong but you know what i mean-We are our own advocates-i think its safe to say the vast majority of proners here in socal hate us.

We can either wait for the fight to come to us or we can strike first. There are all kinds of strategy and legal maneuverings involved but IMHO the sup surf community HAS to be organized.

I know i may be beating a dead horse here but its time we all got together and we at least prepare to see what our options are and the best way to win the battle.

SUP surf is the REAL Battle of the Paddle. Speaking of which i think this issue is gonna hit again here when we have guys/gals come down to practice for BOP at Creek.

Support the HPWA
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 05:02:52 AM »
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 08:27:25 AM »
 Self regulate in the line up, not the courtroom.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »
well the SUP crew showed up in force with respect and well thought out responses by email and in person . It was squashed as it was obvious the SUP community was not going to take this sitting down. Well done fellow SUPers, it appears the DLNR will not be implementing any regulations due to the response by the SUP community at the meeting Wed night.Apparently not many surfers showed up to this meeting. Here is part of  the Man who started this whole thing, response. you can read it all here:
http://www.safesurfhawaii.com

You were gracious in your victory.

Thank you to all who supported the Safe Surf Pilot Project. At this point, we seem to be in the minority.  We were also vastly outnumbered at the DLNR meeting.  Elections aren't won by voters.  They are won by voters who actually vote. The opponents of the Safe Surf Pilot Project were well organized and willing to come to the DLNR meeting to speak up and make their voices heard in a courteous and respectful manner. They won this one fair and square.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
Yes, and props to the attorney for also being gracious in his defeat.  I also think that we would all benefit from remembering to look at all of this from someone else's point of view....
Just because your equipment, ability or physical size or strength enable you to take more than a fair share of the waves, that does not make it right.  It's not always easy to let one go by for the others in the line up.  It takes self discipline and self restraint.
...and might I add "respect" for those you surf with, on all levels, abilities, and equipment.

"Sharing the stoke", and/or "Sharing the waves".....does not mean that you're "sharing" all the other waves while you're riding one, or while you're stuck on the inside, or while you're paddling out, or even while you're on the beach....

It means "sharing" with those who are in the lineup, or those in you're general vicinity.  Look around, see who's near you, figure out who's ridden a wave and when, give those who struggle to paddle into the waves some encouragement, assistance....or at least some room.

Get off the "conveyor belt" for a while; enjoy your surroundings, enjoy having the opportunity of being out in the water, out in the water with all that surrounds you..... 

No, not all the other surfers, but the beauty that we are afforded of getting a different perspective of the glory and majesty that the ocean provides for us, in witnessing the creatures in the skies above us, as well as the beautiful creatures that swim below us.....in a completely different way than those stuck on land, only dreaming they can be where we are at the moment.

Sure, there are organized SUP competitions, where survival of the fittest, each person for themselves is the name of the game, but leave that kind of attitude for those types of "competitions".....out with fellow water enthusiasts looking for "some tasty waves, and a cool stoke", is not the time nor place for it.

Remember the old saying, "You can't stay mad at someone who makes you smile"..... so put a smile on someones face, by giving them their wave of the day.  And guess what, there's probably a better one coming your way....just look to the "outside!"  :o ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:10:16 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal